Let's talk about music

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Let's talk about music

Post by columbia »

That Golden video (with Jon Theodore from QOTSA) that I posted a few pages back was filmed at the old Wilkinsburg version of Roboto.

EDIT: Yeah, it seems like it's more of a real thing, rather than an unheated loft space.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

But yeah, I cringe everytime an act comes to town that i want to see and they're playing there. And until last month, it was half a block away from my place.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

I think there are still plenty of ties to whatever's left of the DIY pittsburgh crust punk scene.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Troy Loney wrote:I think there are still plenty of ties to whatever's left of the DIY pittsburgh crust punk scene.
Spoiler:
[youtube][/youtube]
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

If you would have told me 20 years ago that one day I'd hear the Sex Pistols in a car commercial, I would have laughed at you.

[youtube][/youtube]
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

you happened to be in London this past weekend, you may have seen a putrid green blimp flying above the Oval Space with a logo-bearing “2014″ emblazoned on its side. If you happened to be in New York, you would have seen the same logo from the blimp’s “0″ graffitied around Radio City Music Hall and Carnegie Hall. If you happened to be an avid electronic music fan, you would have immediately recognized the logo as that of Aphex Twin, and echoed the collective question of what the storied producer is up to. As of this morning, we know.

The producer legally known as Richard D. James took to Twitter in answer to the hype, but left a sort of riddle. Tweeting simply “http://syro2eznzea2xbpi.onion,” James left a non-functioning link for the average Internet user, and a Christmas present for those who dive into the deep web. Accessible only through Tor, Aphex Twin’s hidden website reveals a distorted portrait of the producer, along with the supposed name of his forthcoming album and its track list (as coded as it may be). Entitled Syro, the 12-track album would be the first proper release since 2001′s Drukqs, and a momentous occasion for the now-reclusive James. Check out a screengrab from the site below, attempt to decipher its tracklist, and stay tuned for more details: A release date is coming, but we’re going to have to work hard to find it.

http://www.dancingastronaut.com/2014/08 ... ing-album/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:scared:
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Went to see Thurston Moore (feat. Steve Shelley and Debbie Googe) tonight.

"[drone] This is a song about urban terrorism ... [drone] ... but in a heartfelt ... [drone] ... joyful kind of way ... [drone] ... "

Awesome.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

Anyone up for seeing Tony MacAlpine at Hard Rock in October?
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

re: Aphex Twin

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aphex-Twin-je ... 1497606212" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

JS© wrote:If you would have told me 20 years ago that one day I'd hear the Sex Pistols in a car commercial, I would have laughed at you.

[youtube][/youtube]
Danzig era Misfits plug whiskey....
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

This opener at the Mr. Roboto show on Friday was somehow oddly amazing.

[youtube][/youtube]
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

I'm going to a horror and metal festival in Austin in October, and while I'm more in it for the horror stuff and generally don't care about metal, I'm pretty excited to see Danzig doing solo stuff and Samhain stuff, and announced today, GWAR is playing. That sounds pretty interesting, as I'm curious what post Oderus GWAR even is.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Id love to see Samhain, ive always been a very big fan. As far as Gwar...Mike Bishop aka Beefcake on America Must Be Destroyed a few other albums is singing.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

I'm told from several friends that are in to metal that the line up from this thing is actually pretty stacked. But I'm an indie rock guy, so whatever. I might check out a few shows.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

FreeCandy44 wrote:Id love to see Samhain
You missed that SamHain show at the Electric Banana in 84 or 85? There were probably 100 people at the show.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I'm going to guess that he missed it.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Eismann wrote:Anyone up for seeing Tony MacAlpine at Hard Rock in October?
I saw him about 10 years ago when he was in Steve Vai's band. He's an absolute monster, and probably a better pianist than guitarist.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

columbia wrote:I'm going to guess that he missed it.
Being that I was 4 or 5.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

FreeCandy44 wrote:
JS© wrote:If you would have told me 20 years ago that one day I'd hear the Sex Pistols in a car commercial, I would have laughed at you.

[youtube][/youtube]
Danzig era Misfits plug whiskey....
http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7kUS/sailor-jerr ... he-misfits" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; this one?
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Where Eagles Dare
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

[youtube][/youtube]

Just saw this. :thumbdown: What audience are they targeting with these overpriced cars?

Is this the Sex Pistols? Or a solo effort by Sid Vicious? I remember seeing a video of him singing this and thought it was after the band was no more.

I'll take Sinatra's version and a big Buick over this everyday.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

Not sure how I missed that the great jazz pianist Ahmad Jamal is from Pittsburgh

He even made an album about it.

Picked this classic up on vinyl on eBay for $0.99. Sometimes you get lucky and get something dirt cheap that sounds tremendous- which I did this time.

JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Factorial wrote:

[youtube][/youtube]
Is this the Sex Pistols? Or a solo effort by Sid Vicious? I remember seeing a video of him singing this and thought it was after the band was no more.
You're right. It is a Sid Vicious solo track that was part of The Great Rock & Roll Swindle. It was recorded in early 78 wasn't released until the summer of 78, which was right around when the band broke up?

Interesting bit of trivia that I found about the Pistols while digging up that info:

Name the first scheduled city (and venue) of the Sex Pistols' first US tour:
Spoiler:
The Leona Theater in Homestead, 12/29/77
Is it me, or do all three pics have a different date listed? The theater pic definitely says the 30th, the ticket stub says 29, but does the backstage pass say 28?

http://www.philjens.plus.com/pistols/pi ... dates.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In January 1978, the Sex Pistols embarked on a US tour, consisting mainly of dates in America's Deep South. Originally scheduled to begin a few days before New Year's, it was delayed due to American authorities' reluctance to issue visas to band members with criminal records. Several dates in the North had to be cancelled as a result. Though highly anticipated by fans and media, the tour was plagued by in-fighting, poor planning and physically belligerent audiences. McLaren later admitted that he purposely booked redneck bars to provoke hostile situations.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

New song by Thurston Moore
[youtube][/youtube]
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

[youtube][/youtube]

Bad Brains and Minor Threat on HBO? Interesting.