The Pro Wrestling Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: The Pro Wrestling Thread

Post by skullman80 »

DudeMan2766 wrote:Ambrose is fine at his size. He's built enough and since he's a crazy its believable that he can be really tough. Also, if wwe wasn't marketed for 8 year olds ( or as Heyman put it tonight, fans that don't "get tucked in by their mommies at night") this is the stuff Ambrose can bring lol

[youtube][/youtube]
Oh good ol CZW. They actually have(had) some good wrestlers that don't do the death match stuff.

I respect Ambrose for going through that stuff to get to WWE, but that stuff isn't even wrestling to me. It's guys hitting each other with random weapons with no meaning. Theres no stories to the matches. I mean I love a good bloody brawl(with a purpose), but that's just not wrestling to me.

Never got the deathmatch stuff.

Anyhow the thing that I love about Ambrose now(and before WWE) is his mannerisms. He can tell a story with out even saying a word. His offense in the ring is pretty unique, and he plays a lunatic well. He can be future world title material at some point.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

A dapper and clean shaven punk saying he's never ever coming back to WWE. (sort of jokingly hahaha, and he is right twitter will probably blow up).

[youtube][/youtube]
Cagsjr724
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cagsjr724 »

I don't blame him.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

skullman80 wrote:
DudeMan2766 wrote:Ambrose is fine at his size. He's built enough and since he's a crazy its believable that he can be really tough. Also, if wwe wasn't marketed for 8 year olds ( or as Heyman put it tonight, fans that don't "get tucked in by their mommies at night") this is the stuff Ambrose can bring lol

[youtube][/youtube]
Oh good ol CZW. They actually have(had) some good wrestlers that don't do the death match stuff.

I respect Ambrose for going through that stuff to get to WWE, but that stuff isn't even wrestling to me. It's guys hitting each other with random weapons with no meaning. Theres no stories to the matches. I mean I love a good bloody brawl(with a purpose), but that's just not wrestling to me.

Never got the deathmatch stuff.

Anyhow the thing that I love about Ambrose now(and before WWE) is his mannerisms. He can tell a story with out even saying a word. His offense in the ring is pretty unique, and he plays a lunatic well. He can be future world title material at some point.
He seems like a much more athletic Mick Foley so hell do pretty well from what I can tell.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

In the mid 90s, the two biggest stars in the WWF (Hart & HBK) were both under 6'3" and 240 lbs. There is no reason why we need guys that are huge to occupy the entire top of the card. Plus, the smaller guys tend to be better workers. If they were pushed and marketed as credible, they would be credible. Bryan shouldn't be booked like an underdog in ANY match he's in. He's one of the best wrestlers in the world. If he is presented as such, recent history shows he'll get a reaction.

Part of the reason I like the indies so much is that most of the guys are probably under 6' and 200lbs. But they aren't treated with kid gloves. A guy like Bryan could get in the ring with a big guy like Kevin Steen or Michael Elgin, and the story is about who is the BETTER man. Everyone is portrayed as being on a level playing field, regardless of height or weight, and increasingly so, or gender. It's about putting on a good match and telling a good story. Not the same crap week after week.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Cagsjr724 wrote:I don't blame him.
Last night is the perfect reason why he should "never ever" go back. Biggest pop of the night went to a part-timer who comes and goes as he pleases, shows up for a match or two, and then disappears for months at a time. The impression I got from Punk was that he did all of the house shows, held the title for 450+ days (I'm estimating and not looking up the actual number) and was loved by the fans, yet no matter what he did he was always overshadowed by part-timers like Batista, The Rock, and Lesnar. It definitely wasn't because of fan reaction. It was because of VKM's fixation on big guys and/or nostalgia acts.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

JS© wrote:
Last night is the perfect reason why he should "never ever" go back. Biggest pop of the night went to a part-timer who comes and goes as he pleases, shows up for a match or two, and then disappears for months at a time. The impression I got from Punk was that he did all of the house shows, held the title for 450+ days (I'm estimating and not looking up the actual number) and was loved by the fans, yet no matter what he did he was always overshadowed by part-timers like Batista, The Rock, and Lesnar. It definitely wasn't because of fan reaction. It was because of VKM's fixation on big guys and/or nostalgia acts.
Maybe they (the old guys/part timers) are what brought in the money. People might have cheered for Punk, but then went and bought a "The Rock" shirt. People might have liked Punk, but he just didn't bring in the money.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

I thought I saw a report saying that his shirt were still in the top 5 even during his hiatus, even going as high as second-best seller at one point.

I'll see if I can dig it up later. Work firewalls actually flag the wrestling news sites as "violence". :lol:
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by CERV96 »

World/WWE Champions who haven't been the prototypical Vince "big guys"

HBK
Bret Hart
Jericho
Benoit(was cut but small)
Eddie(see Benoit)
Angle(same as above two)
Rey
Edge
CM Punk
Bryan

I'm sure I am forgetting some guys but most of the mentioned are HOF or soon to be HOF talent with the exception of Benoit no way he ever gets in. I would say Punk will eventually get the HOF nod. Just might take a while for most of the dust to settle.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

http://www.sportsworldnews.com/articles ... -video.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Who are the latest best sellers when it comes to WWE merchandise sales? We have the latest rundown and to no one's surprise, John Cena tops the active list. However, The Ultimate Warrior has posthumously topped Cena in Internet sales, and we have some other surprises to report.

According to The Wresling Observer Newsletter, "The Internet merchandise numbers were Warrior first, followed by Cena, Punk, Bryan, The Wyatts, The Shield, Evolution and Hogan."
That's from May, where Punk was ahead of The Shield and Daniel Bryan.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

CERV96 wrote:World/WWE Champions who haven't been the prototypical Vince "big guys"

HBK
Bret Hart
Jericho
Benoit(was cut but small)
Eddie(see Benoit)
Angle(same as above two)
Rey
Edge
CM Punk
Bryan

I'm sure I am forgetting some guys but most of the mentioned are HOF or soon to be HOF talent with the exception of Benoit no way he ever gets in. I would say Punk will eventually get the HOF nod. Just might take a while for most of the dust to settle.
i'd probably add Randy Savage and Ric Flair to that list, too
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by CERV96 »

Jim wrote:
JS© wrote:
Maybe they (the old guys/part timers) are what brought in the money. People might have cheered for Punk, but then went and bought a "The Rock" shirt. People might have liked Punk, but he just didn't bring in the money.
From what I have read Punk also had issues on how he was going to get paid based on ppv royalties vs network royalties. Ppv's were what? $50 a pop? Now over half of that audience no longer buys the ppv's and watches the network for $10 a month. That's an huge hit. I also have read guys have still not gotten Wrestlemania royalty checks yet as well(over 2 months later than normal). As far as his merch. Punk at one point during his title run has been the only guy not named Mysterio in the last 10 years to pass Cena in the merch department that includes the Rock and as JS stated he has been gone for 6 months and is still on of the top 5 movers in merch. To say he is not missed is a joke IMO.

I can see why people are upset that he stiffed the fans, but if the booking is crap and when you can't live off of pain killers like the other guys(he is truly straight edge). Add not getting a true revenue cut I can understand why he left the way he did. If you don't like what you are doing for a living then just quit. It's no different than any other normal Joe who goes to work everyday and begins to hate his/her job. If I did not care for my job I have the skills to find another one within 24 hours. Punk is good at what he does inside and outside the ring he can do the same. Look out for #1 before anyone else and that is exactly what he did.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

Plus I think Punk, unlike alot of wrestlers *cough* flair *cough*), actually lived frugal and saved his money when he was making big $$$$. That allowed him to say F it and leave when he wanted to because he didn't have a dependency on having on the WWE for money.

It's the same reason that if Bryan had to quit wrestling today(because of his neck) he would probably be well off as well cause of how frugal he lives and how he saved his money. Now he never made the $$$$ Punk did in WWE I don't think, but still.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

Haha. Glad someone capped the guys reaction to Brie calling stephanie a b...

Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

Daniel Bryan is the real deal. I don't think Vince has a prejudices against him anymore. Everytime I hear an interview with an oldtime wrestler, they are asked, "Who are some guys you like right now?" They always say Daniel Bryan in their list of names (and it's usually a short list).

The fact that HHH worked with him at Wrestlemania, and put on a show stopping match is enough to see where DB stands in the company.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

i'm bored this afternoon, so i'm currently watching this match between KENTA and Naomichi Marufuji. Over 40 mins long, and never gets boring. Such an amazing match.

[youtube][/youtube]
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by tjand72 »

Virgil had a table at Rogers flea market last Friday. It was not unlike the picture from this article.

http://deadspin.com/5915621/the-interne ... o-wrestler" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I didn't have it in me to ask for a picture.
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by tjand72 »

Virgil had a table at Rogers flea market last Friday. It was not unlike the picture from this article.

http://deadspin.com/5915621/the-interne ... o-wrestler" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I didn't have it in me to ask for a picture.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

If you want to meet him again, he'll more than likely be at Little Italy Days in Bloomfield next month. I know he's been there the last two years.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Im starting to wonder if Virgil even has a real home or address. All the dude does is roam.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Those shows and travel aren't free.

I started thinking about this the last time I saw him: maybe he's doing better than what some people are giving him credit for. I'm not saying he's rich, but I imagine the guy might be pulling a few hundred a day slinging pics and autographs. Let's say Virgil sells 20 pics at $20 a pop. Between the few people that say "Oh look it's Virgil, the guy that used to be in the WWF" and the crowd that recognizes him from being #lonelyvirgil , I don't think it's unreasonable to say he gets 2 autographs an hour over an 8-10 hour day. Subtract whatever the cost of a parking space for his table is, and he's probably coming away with at least $200-300 on an average day.

Or maybe I'm wrong and he ain't selling a thing and doesn't have a home address.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Just seems lonely and desperate.
She'sTheFastest
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by She'sTheFastest »

Virgil was a huge ****head when he was famous. That was well documented. Thus he's in his current situation. That's what happens when you burn bridges. You can ask Shane Dogulas the same.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Anyone besides Cerv go see Mick Foley at the Pittsburgh Improv tonight?
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

I didn't think he was coming until next month. :face: