How many of you own a droid?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: How many of you own a droid?

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Now that I think about it, the default browser does get very dim on my S3. Not sure why either, as I 99% use Chrome (which is synced with my desktop version).

One annoying thing about either Verizon's version of Android OS or maybe even Android itself, is the random amount of time my notification pull down menu stays on screen before the screen locks.

I use the notification pull down a lot, usually to check out e-mail (and deleting them) without having to unlock the phone. Sometimes, I pull it down glance at something and it instantly disappears and the screen goes blank before I can even read anything. Other times, I drag it down to look at something, walk away and come back 5 minutes (or longer) later...and the notification pull down is still visible and the screen (obviously) lit. Doesn't seem to have a rhyme or reason, especially since this happens in my office with my phone in the same location (and lighting for SmartStay) as it has been for the 18 months I've had the phone.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ulf »

Just swipe it back up?
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

The notifications seem out of control. Do I really need to know that:

1.) I'm connected as a media device
2.) My battery is fully charged
3.) A wi-fi network is available

I know/can see/can ascertain those three things.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

I for one love the decision to make all of the notification bar icons one dull color. It was quite burdensome being able to determine which account I had email on by the icon it displayed. Now I get the surprise of finding out whether it's work related or just more spam. Sweet!
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

ulf wrote:Just swipe it back up?
Yeah, but I then have to unlock the phone to do that. Not a big deal, but it defeats the purpose of having a quick look at the notification screen.
DropEmJayBird
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by DropEmJayBird »

New phone time here in a few days,

had an S3, and played with someone's S5, but I think Im going to go with either the HTC M8 or the LG G3 just based on their version of android.

Not sure which camera is better between the two, I know the G3 has an insane screen and while the camera is 13 some MP, that usually doesn't mean anything in terms of quality of photos... but I don't really have the eye for that anyway.

I was looking at the Note, but I think Im done with Samsung for now, the android versions on the HTC and LG just look more practical.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

DropEmJayBird wrote:New phone time here in a few days,

had an S3, and played with someone's S5, but I think Im going to go with either the HTC M8 or the LG G3 just based on their version of android.

Not sure which camera is better between the two, I know the G3 has an insane screen and while the camera is 13 some MP, that usually doesn't mean anything in terms of quality of photos... but I don't really have the eye for that anyway.

I was looking at the Note, but I think Im done with Samsung for now, the android versions on the HTC and LG just look more practical.
I really like the M8, have heard good things about it. Was playing with my Bro in law's S5 over the 4th holiday and he raved about it. I like both phones but I don't really like the size. I have a Razr Maxx now and didn't want to go much larger than what I already have, so what I think I'm going to get is the HTC Remix when it comes out, it's the HTC One mini 2. Been all kinds of rumors and speculation about it, but it's the size i want and I do like HTC phones. I just want to check out the specs before buying a new phone
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

How does one create calendar events for only one calendar on an Android phone? I use the Google Calendar app (which easily syncs), but events also write to the device calendar, which means I get two notifications for every event. Can I just write to the device calendar and will that sync with Google Calendar to be available on other devices? Can I turn off notifications for the device calendar? This is such a noob question, but it's finally getting on my nerves.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Anyone use the new Moto G LTE with T-Mobile?
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

tifosi77 wrote:How does one create calendar events for only one calendar on an Android phone? I use the Google Calendar app (which easily syncs), but events also write to the device calendar, which means I get two notifications for every event. Can I just write to the device calendar and will that sync with Google Calendar to be available on other devices? Can I turn off notifications for the device calendar? This is such a noob question, but it's finally getting on my nerves.
When you edit the event you should be able to choose what kind of notification you want or if you want one at all. If you want it only on your phone choose the SMS notification. It should copy directly to your Google calendar.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

DropEmJayBird wrote:New phone time here in a few days,

If the camera is your big selling point the S5 has an amazing one.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Recently, when I turn on the screen on my S3, the time displayed is inaccurate, often whatever it was when the screen was turned off last. The main clock in the status bar is always right, but of course the big ass time displayed on the main screen is what draws your eye first. Pretty annoying.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Mine will often do that for a split second, and then display the correct time. Weird yours isn't updating though.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

I'd like to see how the new Galaxy or One phones work without Samsung and HTC "customizations." I've had four Android phones - three of them were stock Android with no customizations. I have a One S and I think its the buggiest I'e had.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Post by Pitt87 »

the wicked child wrote:Recently, when I turn on the screen on my S3, the time displayed is inaccurate, often whatever it was when the screen was turned off last. The main clock in the status bar is always right, but of course the big ass time displayed on the main screen is what draws your eye first. Pretty annoying.
Sounds like the app is misbehaving. That used to happen all the time on my HTC devices, but it was generally because I would use a 3rd party clock (Fancy Widgets) display. Have you tried finding the app and clearing data & cache from it?
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Anyone have the HTC One M8? I think I am going to get it, just not sure if anyone can offer feedback outside of what I've already read
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

PensFanInDC wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:How does one create calendar events for only one calendar on an Android phone? I use the Google Calendar app (which easily syncs), but events also write to the device calendar, which means I get two notifications for every event. Can I just write to the device calendar and will that sync with Google Calendar to be available on other devices? Can I turn off notifications for the device calendar? This is such a noob question, but it's finally getting on my nerves.
When you edit the event you should be able to choose what kind of notification you want or if you want one at all. If you want it only on your phone choose the SMS notification. It should copy directly to your Google calendar.
I am truly an idiot..... I just went into the device calendar and turned off all notifications. :face:

:lol:
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Sold my S4 to get the Moto G LTE, so far I love it. 8GB storage plus SD card which works fine. I never used any of the advanced features in the galaxy series of devices, the phone just works.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

I just updated the wife's Xperia Z tablet...the dropdown menu changes are pretty solid. the wife hates change so every time i use her tablet, i make sure to bang out every update that thing has. i was updating apps and the os for like an hour and forgot what i was gonna use the tablet for.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Two things:

1) Since updating to Kit Kat, every time I turn on GPS I have to agree and accept to two separate acknowledgments regarding privacy. This is stupid.

2) Does anyone use Carbonite mobile backup? I've been using it for over a year with no problems, then yesterday I took a picture and it has been unable to back up. It won't do it via WiFi or mobile data.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by knives of ice »

there is almost no reason to turn GPS off on your android. it doesn't run all the time, its only on when needed. its similar to if you leave wifi on all day and it comes on automatically when needed/known.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by knives of ice »

pittsoccer33 wrote:I'd like to see how the new Galaxy or One phones work without Samsung and HTC "customizations." I've had four Android phones - three of them were stock Android with no customizations. I have a One S and I think its the buggiest I'e had.

just root your phone and load any AOSP based rom. its really simple and if you don't know how to do it for your model there are always youtube videos.

any phone almost always runs better on a stock android based rom and all the samsung models are no exception.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

knives of ice wrote:there is almost no reason to turn GPS off on your android. it doesn't run all the time, its only on when needed. its similar to if you leave wifi on all day and it comes on automatically when needed/known.
tif doesn't want to be tracked when he's at the gun shop.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

knives of ice wrote:
pittsoccer33 wrote:I'd like to see how the new Galaxy or One phones work without Samsung and HTC "customizations." I've had four Android phones - three of them were stock Android with no customizations. I have a One S and I think its the buggiest I'e had.

just root your phone and load any AOSP based rom. its really simple and if you don't know how to do it for your model there are always youtube videos.

any phone almost always runs better on a stock android based rom and all the samsung models are no exception.
Funny thing is you pay for TouchWiz and Sense in the cost of the phones. But of course they can't sell the Google Play versions for much less or they won't move the regular versions as well. I was using Nova with the KitKat or MIUI theme which I liked much better than TouchWiz on my S4, and it seemed to run faster, but the Moto loader is not too far from stock.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

shafnutz05 wrote:Anyone have the HTC One M8? I think I am going to get it, just not sure if anyone can offer feedback outside of what I've already read
I have it. I love it.

It's very quick, when I'm using wifi or 4G, for browsing the web, Facebook, etc.

Excellent sound quality. Great for listening to music.

Also good sound quality when used as a phone.

Shatterproof screen. Also, the screen has very good resolution. Great for watching Hulu and videos.

Some people feel the camera is meh, I like it. I find the pics to be sharp and colors vibrant.

Way cool brushed aluminum body.

It's a tad bigger than most smartphones, but thinner.
Last edited by llipgh2 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.