Let's talk about music

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Let's talk about music

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Ive heard worse, but cant the same computers that take out the auto tune mess with her voice to make it sound flat?
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

viva la ben wrote:Yeah, that was the green album, which was also the last weezer album produced by Ocasek.
I've been on a bit of a Green album kick recently. I think the problem that started with the Green album was that their songs became way more hit or miss, and the misses aren't like getchoo or buddy holly, which are tolerable songs. But the misses just became garbage songs that have the potential to make the listener angry.

Post pinkerton, Maladroit and Green album are much better than the other albums, the only problem with those is that the first single released from those albums "dope nose" and "hash pipe" were those garbage songs and can ruin one's impression of the album.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Personally I dont think Weezer has been as good since Matt Sharp left. I still dig Blue, Pinkerton, Green, Red, and Maladroit though. I remember a long time ago reading that Rivers had some sort of mathematical equation to write "The perfect pop song". Maybe lately he forgot to carry the 3.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Yeah, they definitely stopped being good/notable after Pinkerton. I think Rivers had something like 100 songs to choose from for the green album (following the weird pinkerton hiatus). It always amazed me that hash pipe and crab beat out 90 other songs to make it on that album.
the riddler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by the riddler »

All I want to know is why Raditude was allowed to happen. That was the moment I gave up on them.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

The green album was my primary soundtrack while I played Project Gotham Racing on the xbox.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Really Weezer hasnt done anything of note in my opinion since the Red Album.
legame
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by legame »

Raditude, The Red Album, Make Believe, Hurley... all horrible. The Green Album and Maladroit both had great moments, especially the latter. I never find myself going back to those albums more than once or twice per year though. Blue and Pinkerton are still in regular rotation.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Wait, so they tried writing 100 songs at once? Gee, I wonder how that possibly could have gone wrong...
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

@spinmagazine Everything *will* be alright in the end: @Weezer say the new LP will be "The Blue Album" meets 'Pinkerton' http://t.co/RyVRLfW1BV" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
champeen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by champeen »

FreeCandy44 wrote:@spinmagazine Everything *will* be alright in the end: @Weezer say the new LP will be "The Blue Album" meets 'Pinkerton' http://t.co/RyVRLfW1BV" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

not bloody likely. they've been lyrically embarrassing for a long time (i'd say maladroit being the last record with any decent songs), i don't think they can climb out of the hole they've dug just because they want to.....
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

FreeCandy44 wrote:Ive heard worse, but cant the same computers that take out the auto tune mess with her voice to make it sound flat?
The Auto-Tune wasn't 'taken out', this is the raw track as it was recorded before Auto-Tune processing. Someone from the studio (like an engineer or a tape monkey, or whatever they're called today) likely leaked it. Her producer (William Orbit) claims this was a warm-up that wasn't meant to be recorded.
legame
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by legame »

the wicked child wrote:Wait, so they tried writing 100 songs at once? Gee, I wonder how that possibly could have gone wrong...
Even someone like Ryan Adams, who is about as prolific of a modern songwriter as I can think of, puts out some serious stinkers when writing that much music... and he's leaps and bounds above Rivers.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

Jandek is the only one who could pull off writing 100 songs at once.

[youtube][/youtube]
legame
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by legame »

I've been trying to avoid my constant barrage of NC bands lately, but has anyone mentioned Sylvan Esso in here? They performed on Fallon last night and opinions on the performance have been pretty evenly split.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Sylvan Esso was just in Pittsburgh. Some of my concert group wanted to go, but we did not. I only know that one song and thought it was pretty solid. I have been meaning to check more stuff out. I'll look up that performance.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

the wicked child wrote:Wait, so they tried writing 100 songs at once? Gee, I wonder how that possibly could have gone wrong...

Well, you've heard weezer songs, it's not hard to imagine him churning a butt ton of those. plus, this was during the long weezer hiatus after Pinkerton.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Troy Loney wrote:

Well, you've heard weezer songs, it's not hard to imagine him churning a butt ton of those. plus, this was during the long weezer hiatus after Pinkerton.
Yeah, but that's also why they only have maybe one album's worth of good songs, IMO. :pop:
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

38 years after its release, the Ramones eponymous debut was certified gold in the USA. Congratulations to whoever is left of them.

[youtube][/youtube]
legame
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by legame »

Kraftster wrote:Sylvan Esso was just in Pittsburgh. Some of my concert group wanted to go, but we did not. I only know that one song and thought it was pretty solid. I have been meaning to check more stuff out. I'll look up that performance.
The self title album they put out is pretty solid. It's one of the girls from Mountain Man and the touring bass player for Megafaun/The Love Language, so I was a bit surprised by the outcome. Nothing extraordinary but very listenable.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Speaking of Weezer.....

[youtube][/youtube]
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

Gaucho wrote:38 years after its release, the Ramones eponymous debut was certified gold in the USA. Congratulations to whoever is left of them.
Tommy Ramone was the last surviving original member. He died yesterday at age 65. RIP
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

:(

[youtube][/youtube]
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »