Car thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Car thread

Post by tifosi77 »

Yeah, we b|tch and moan about gas prices in this country all the time. Go rent a car in Europe and come back and join the discussion. :lol:

Right now the average cost of gas petrol is closer to $10/gal.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

shafnutz05 wrote:When we visited Quebec a couple of weeks ago, I was struck again by just how fortunate we are.

It was around $1.40/liter....that roughly equates to $5.65/gal.

Not to mention the credit card machine wasn't working, so I had to go in and prepay for "35 liters of fuel" please. I know the metric system makes sense, but it's annoying to work with such large numbers.
A *** **** liter of petrol
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ulf »

I don't want a large farva!
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I don't like Mercedes at all, that is the only car they ever made that I lust for. Oof.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

mac5155 wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:
mac5155 wrote:Are you spending $200 a month in gas cause your commute sucks or cause your car gets horrible MPGs? (or a combination of both)
Yes to both, and gas is also more expensive here than in PA. I think I paid ~$4.29 / gal when I topped up on Sunday.
You should evaluate if a diesel is worth it. If it's not, a hybrid more than likely is.
"A hybrid is a normal car for fools." -- Jeremy Clarkson ;)

I'm not a big believer in hybrids, as I think they do more harm than good in the grand scheme of things. Altho, two hundo a month in gas is some eye opening harm, as well.

I'd prefer to go all-electric (Tesla Model S, hellooooooooooo nurse!), but those things are stupid expensive. The diesel option isn't bad, but I'd honestly be happy with a properly efficient normal motor. That said, I don't even know what the diesel options are in the 5-door faux wagon class.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Sportwagen? That doesn't seem to be your style, I dont think. Cant remember who was for/against.

The GTD is amazzzzzing. only available in Germany :(
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

has anyone ever dealt with Maaco?

This is my 1987 Pontiac Fiero. It hasn't been driven much since 2009 and I am changing that this summer. I spent yesterday working on the valves and draining all the fluids.

Given that its going on 27 years old the paint is unfortunately fading. Its really a burgundy red (or it was). For the time being until I can properly restore the paint im considering a Maaco job. Id keep the two tone burgundy and grey even though I have the tan and brown interior.

cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by cheesesteakwithegg »

Any mini-van owners out there? We are looking at getting rid of my wife's car ('11 Sonata) and trading it in for a van.

I am down between a Town n Country, Sienna, or Oddessy. Any recommendations between those 3, or should I be looking at something else?
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

The thing with MAACO is that each location is independently owned, so the QA involved is up to the individual owner so reviews you get online may not be applicable to your local shop.

Also, if you're handy with body work and have the time/skill you can do the prep work yourself and it'll turn out much better. Take all the trim/badging off ahead of time, strip the existing paint, mask off everything you don't want painted, and then pay them to actually apply the paint. In your case I would just mask off the gray and only touch up the burgundy as adding that extra color will probably double your price.

Cool car, btw. I'd like something MR down the line. The Fiero is a neat platform as you can wedge some pretty big motors in there if you wanted, stuff like the Northstar V8.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

pittsoccer33 wrote:has anyone ever dealt with Maaco?

This is my 1987 Pontiac Fiero. It hasn't been driven much since 2009 and I am changing that this summer. I spent yesterday working on the valves and draining all the fluids.

Given that its going on 27 years old the paint is unfortunately fading. Its really a burgundy red (or it was). For the time being until I can properly restore the paint im considering a Maaco job. Id keep the two tone burgundy and grey even though I have the tan and brown interior.

What's the price on the Maaco job? Im a fan of small town shops. I can give you one in my area but he's always busy.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

i thought Maaco was usually advertised as being a few hundred dollars, which is definitely the low end of the cost spectrum

i wouldnt expect a lot for the price, but it would be great to hide the faded spots for a few more years until i can buy my own garage to keep it in.

i thought about taking the body parts off myself. its all plastic and they basically snap on, I've just never investigated exactly how that works.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Yeah, MAACO is usually in the $300-700 range. For a car that size it will likely be on the lower end. You're basically getting paint + 2hrs of labor. The first hour being the masking work. Some shops will take the price down if you do that work yourself. Are you considering going body color with the mirrors?

They're opening a MAACO in the next town over soon. I plan to take my car there when I'm done with it, and just having them spray it matte black. But it'll be on a trailer so I can do the masking at home and just roll it into their booth, might be more of a hassle with a road car.
Firebird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Firebird »

Had my first experience with a run-flat tire this weekend.

Was out in the country and ran over a nail. Not that I'd ever buy a run-flat set (this set came with the car) but it's quite impressive how strong these things are. With 0 PSI in the tire, it still appeared to have structure to it (not a completely flat look). Pretty impressive.

Had to find the least reputable shop in the nearest town to patch it as most shops refuse to patch RFT's.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Don't think you're near me but if you are PM me (scottdale PA area)
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

pittsoccer33 wrote:i thought Maaco was usually advertised as being a few hundred dollars, which is definitely the low end of the cost spectrum

i wouldnt expect a lot for the price, but it would be great to hide the faded spots for a few more years until i can buy my own garage to keep it in.

i thought about taking the body parts off myself. its all plastic and they basically snap on, I've just never investigated exactly how that works.
I work in a paint shop and a couple of our guys used to paint cars. I could inquire about this if you're serious.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

anyone have a gmc terrain
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

http://dornob.com/modern-hippie-bus-goe ... z33amGB8eg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Just got word that my car is paid off... now to try to make it last 2 more years or so before I get a new one.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

I had a dream last night my dealer who i bought my Jetta off was forcing me to trade it back in. lol
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ulf »

So I lease a 2012 wrangler sahara. The dealership called me and asked about bringing it back early (up next March) and giving me some deals on a new vehicle. This is the first car I've leased.. Is there any value of a lease as a bargaining chip? For instance she said they're looking for newer jeeps in good shape. Problem is, I don't want another jeep. Loved it but my next car isn't gonna come from the Jeep/Chrysler/Dodge dealership I got it from. I always assumed you just turn it in at the end and that's that. But my buddy just turned his lease into another dealership when he got a new car and I guess I didn't realize you could do that. Has anyone ever really gotten anything out of an expiring lease?
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

count2infinity wrote:Just got word that my car is paid off... now to try to make it last 2 more years or so before I get a new one.
Cars of today should last a lot longer than that. Mine is at 14 years in August and she is wearing out but with no car payments for nine years now I can live with things breaking here and there.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

http://blogs.marketwatch.com/energy-tic ... tical-map/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Does anyone have a Ford Escape? specifically a 2011-12 (before they went the route of the pure crossover) V6 4x4? I am looking to downsize the truck we have and think this might be a good option. It supposedly has 3k# towing capacity and gets 26 MPG. Wondering how realistic those numbers are (of course, thye wont happen at the same time.. which is fine).
Firebird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Firebird »

First dabble with plasti-dip. Dipped my grills:

mac5155 wrote:Does anyone have a Ford Escape? specifically a 2011-12 (before they went the route of the pure crossover) V6 4x4? I am looking to downsize the truck we have and think this might be a good option. It supposedly has 3k# towing capacity and gets 26 MPG. Wondering how realistic those numbers are (of course, thye wont happen at the same time.. which is fine).
Also, a 3k towing capacity is nearly nothing (quick search, the V6 weighs 3.4k lbs - so it isn't even rated to tow itself). A Civic has a 1.5k towing capacity.....

I'm not sure what the gradient is for towing capacity specs. Something you might want to keep in mind or research

Also, if youre considering towing, you seriously need to consider engine torques