Let's talk about music

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Let's talk about music

Post by Kraftster »

Anyone acquainted with Wovenhand?
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:My 8 and 5 year old sons, while usually having decent taste in music, have got the sax intro to "Problem" stuck in my head (song also features Iggy Azalea).
My daughter said Iggy sings like a man and they only like her because she has a big butt.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

Kraftster wrote:Anyone acquainted with Wovenhand?

Just listened to this:

[youtube][/youtube]

Goes into a very Black Sabbath like riff at points.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Yeah, the riffs are not something that would be part of my normal listening, but it really works for me as a whole package. I really like King David and Good Shepard off of the new album.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

[youtube][/youtube]
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Neil Young's 35th(!) album is out, recorded with Jack White in a 1940s era recording booth, direct to acetate.

Great setlist of mostly old folk songs, and Springsteen's "My Hometown." Funny how Young is selling this super high fidelity sound system in Pono, and records an album direct to vinyl. It sounds like it too, with crackling and warbling (not Young's voice, but his guitar sound). I think I did read he will have a hi-fi version of this record out at some point, but it's worth a listen.

[youtube][/youtube]
legame
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by legame »

Troy Loney wrote:
Kraftster wrote:Ended up getting tickets to the Man Man (Brand New) show at Stage AE after all. Should I stick around for Brand New?

They aren't anything that interesting. I used to like one of their songs, "quiet things that no one ever knows" I think it was called. I would just pull it up on spotify and give a quick listen. It's not a band that has some underlying quality that would make them worth seeing or giving them more attention than the initial yay or nay immediate response.
:face: That album is literally 11 years old. Admittedly, they were a pop-punk band that toured with Taking Back Sunday and the like at the beginning of their career, but have since matured into a seriously incredible (in my opinion) post-hardcore/alt-rock band that does some really interesting stuff lyrically and musically. Go listen through "The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me" on Spotify and you'll immediately see why they're playing with Modest Mouse and have such a rabid following.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I see that Echo & The Bunnymen have put out another record.
Not sure if that was necessary, but good for them, I guess.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

Bob Mould's new record Beauty and Ruin is out today. Here's the first single.
[youtube][/youtube]
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by WDWBurghGooner »

Anybody planning to see Jeff Tweedy Friday night?
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Barely decipherable lyrics about genetic manipulation? Check. Complex polyrhythms? Got those, too. Excellent musicianship? Present.

Has to be a Tool song.

Covered by grade schoolers.

[youtube][/youtube]

The kid on drums is a wee, bespectacled Danny Carey.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Latest Incarnation of King Crimson Plans U.S. Tour
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/ ... -u-s-tour/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Which reminded me that Sarcastic is no longer around to post in this thread. :(

Factorial: Your boy Mel Collins is back in the band.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Watched the first hour of the R&R HOF induction ceremony last night. The intro speeches for Peter Gabriel (Chris Martin) and KISS (Tom Morello) were pretty flippin' excellent.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

columbia wrote:Latest Incarnation of King Crimson Plans U.S. Tour
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/ ... -u-s-tour/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Which reminded me that Sarcastic is no longer around to post in this thread. :(

Factorial: Your boy Mel Collins is back in the band.

I see:
Fri 12 Sep Philadelphia, PA Verizon Hall
Sat 13 Sep Philadelphia, PA Verizon Hall
I'm going to get tickets for one or both shows. No Pgh dates.

Expecting to hear this:

[youtube][/youtube]
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

If The Cure were still good they'd sound something like this:

[youtube][/youtube]
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Kaskade is pulling all of his stuff from his Soundcloud page
When I signed with Ultra, I kissed goodbye forever the rights to own my music. They own it. And now Sony owns them. So now Sony owns my music. I knew that going in. Soundcloud is beholden to labels to keep copyright protected music (read: all music put out by a label, any label) off their site unless authorized by the label. Am I authorized to post my music? Yep. Does their soulless robot program know that? Not so much. So some stuff they pulled was mistakenly deleted, but some tracks were absolutely rule breakers. The mash ups. (Read about those little beauties in “Politicking of a Mash Up”.) I post mash ups mainly because I don’t need to keep these things tucked under my pillow, pulling out my little Precious only to be played at gigs. You want to hear it? Grab it. Like it? Great. The end.
But the labels, they aren’t feeling this approach so much.

There’s always been this cagey group of old men who are scared to death of people taking their money. Back in the day, they were upset that the technology existed to record onto cassette tapes directly from the radio. “What! (Harumph!) Why will people buy music if they can just pull it out of the air?!” Yet, people still bought music. Because it was more accessible. Because more people were exposed. Because Mikey played it for Joey on the corner and then Joey had to have it. It’s music, and we buy what we love. We can’t love music we haven’t heard.

Innovation helps the music industry. The industry only needs to make the effort to keep up and adapt. Make no mistake: exposing as many people as possible to music - all music - is a good thing. Everyone wins. The artist, the audience, even the old guys who just want some more cash.

The laws that are governing online music share sites were written at a time when our online and real-life landscapes were totally different. Our marching orders are coming from a place that’s completely out of touch and irrelevant. They have these legal legs to stand on that empower them to make life kind of a pain-in-the-ass for people like me. And for many of you. Countless artists have launched their careers though mash ups, bootlegs, remixes and music sharing. These laws and page take-downs are cutting us down at the knees.

And yo, musicians definitely need knees.

We have moved beyond the exhausting notion that our greedy hands need to hold onto these tunes so tightly. The world just doesn’t work like that anymore. I’d happily parse out the pieces of every song I’ve made for others to use. Remix that. Use that. Think you could do it better? Show me. It’s laughable to assert that someone is losing money owed to them because I’m promoting music that I’ve written and recorded. Having the means to expose music to the masses is a deft tool to breathe new life into and promote a song. It’s the most compelling advertising, really.

But it’s more than advertising. It’s sharing. If a person likes one song, then you know what’s likely to happen? They’ll press the download arrow and own it for free. You won’t believe what happens next! They become familiar with the artist, and seek out other material. Maybe they buy that. Maybe they talk about it online. Maybe they go to a show. Maybe they simply become a fan and tell a friend.

I’m cool with that. The labels should be too. It’s exactly what they’re trying to accomplish by funneling endless money for Facebook Likes, Twitter trending hashtags, and totally ridiculous impotent advertising campaigns. Let the people have the music. Or, to put it in language that makes more sense for the ones who can only speak dollar bill - Free the music, and your cash will follow.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Staying true to his word, he's telling people to download his stuff while it's still available.
Although 70% of my sound cloud has been taken down you might want to consider visiting it and grabbing those last bits...
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Will do.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by WDWBurghGooner »

tifosi77 wrote:Barely decipherable lyrics about genetic manipulation? Check. Complex polyrhythms? Got those, too. Excellent musicianship? Present.

Has to be a Tool song.

Covered by grade schoolers.

[youtube][/youtube]

The kid on drums is a wee, bespectacled Danny Carey.
Yeah, this is pretty awesome.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Beastie Boys Win $1.7 Million in Monster Energy Copyright Lawsuit

Short version summary for anyone with an interest in IP law: If you are seeking approval to use material from someone who does not have authority to grant the approval being sought, and they reply "Dope!" to the email seeking said approval....... that does not constitute approval.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

[youtube][/youtube]
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by WDWBurghGooner »

The Jeff Tweedy show last night was interesting. He played a bunch of solo songs from an album that doesn't come out until September. Those songs were played with a band. He then played a bunch of Wilco songs and a cover or two solo with just an acoustic guitar. Finally, he finished with a one song encore with the band. The Wilco songs just weren't the same when played in that fashion.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Finally got around to watching the rest of the R&R HOF induction show.

Bruce Springsteen sounded very contrite - even if he feel short of apologizing - for not lobby the HOF to include the E Street Band on his own personal induction 15 years ago. But it is a sign of some significance that they band made it in on their own merits. They performed and it was pretty impressive.

Hall & Oates were fun, in their way.

Didn't watch Cat Stevens, as I find his music oddly boring.

Then...... Nirvana.

I am pretty open about my disdain for this band, but I was still looking forward to their induction. Michael Stipe gave their presentation speech, and it was utterly soulless and devoid of anything even resembling remarks spoken by someone with a beating heart. Grohl and Novoselic came up along with Cobain's mom and sisters...... and Courtney Love. Oh boy. The band members spoke in predictable ways, the mom spoke for all of 90 seconds and had everyone crying. And then Miss Love took the next three minutes to make the moment about her. She was booed quite loudly, and even heckled. That part was kind of excellent. But it degraded into an utter sh|t show.

Off to the performance, where the band was bringing a series of female singers on to play individual songs. The set opened with Joan Jett singing "Smells Like Teen Spirit". Cool, I love Joan Jett. Well, she was terrible; I'm not even sure she was singing in the same key as the song. It was sad. Kim Gordon (Sonic Youth) came out and sang "Aneurysm", and Annie Clark (St Vincent) sang "Lithium". Both were okay, but nothing memorable. Then this Lorde person came out for "All Apologies", which is more or less the only Nirvana song I actually like. And she was an extra special kind of awful.

I don't know whose idea it was to do their performance like that, or how much rehearsal time they had. But it was just..... this close to being embarrassing.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

I miss System of a Down.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

The fact that Nirvana is in the Rock and Roll hall of fame while so many other deserving bands aren't.. just baffles me.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Im not going to comment on Nirvana today.