How many of you own a droid?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: How many of you own a droid?

Post by ulf »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:I got the S3 update from Verizon this morning as well, but no update on VZW's support site. Nothing (yet) on the interwebs, and it says I'm still running Android 4.3.
I ran my update today too. I don't see a difference
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

stopper40 wrote:
mac5155 wrote:
stopper40 wrote:
mac5155 wrote:S4 to S5 isn't a huge upgrade from what I've heard. But I love my S5.

I've heard great things about it. Due for an upgrade now, not sure what I'm getting though an S5 or HTC 1.
I researched these two both rather extensively. The HTC One has metal finish, cooler camera, front facing speakers. The GS5 was waterproof, removable battery, and better camera.

There are things I like about both phones, but I'm leaning towards the S5 because of the more powerful battery
The battery life so far is very impressive. I go all day on a single charge and usually have 25% or so left over at the end of the day. I am a heavy user too.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Anyone have any problems with the NBC Sports Live Extra app? I ran it the other day for Game 3 of Pens-Rags and after about 3 minutes, the video froze, and about 2-3 minutes after that the audio froze. The phone became completely INOP and 100% unresponsive. Had to wait til I got home to remove the cover and pop the battery for a hard boot. (I had to wait til I got home to do this because I may or may not have been in my car at the time......)

I have tons of recurring problems with streaming NBC Sports from a desktop, too, so I'm wondering if there's something wonky with their tech.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Ok, so my S5 has been spotty coverage lately and I just tested my wife's iPhone side by side with it. I got .53 mpbs down and .47 up. She got 27mbps down and 25 up right next to it. Icons both read LTE. What gives?
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

My droid updated today and no obvious changes.

@tif I think it's an NBC issue. I've had Game Center for the last two seasons and have never had a problem with streaming.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Yeah, Game Center is fine, no complaints there.... got me to ditch Center Ice, actually. But NBC Sports can suck it.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

I have NBC Sports for the iPad and my S3, and I've had issues with both...but I use it on the iPad a lot more frequently and without issues. I would click on the stream I wanted to watch, it would play an ad, and crash and exit. But that's infrequent.

GameCenter works really well, which is shocking. Only issue is that it followed Shawn Thornton around on the "Star Cam" feature a few games ago. :lol:
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Given the relationship between Comcast and NBC, I assume it's a server issue, rather than bandwidth.....which is completely ridiculous in 2014.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

mac5155 wrote:Ok, so my S5 has been spotty coverage lately and I just tested my wife's iPhone side by side with it. I got .53 mpbs down and .47 up. She got 27mbps down and 25 up right next to it. Icons both read LTE. What gives?
So it would appear I am being throttled. I used navigation on the way down and back to nashville. I guess that ate up a ton of data. Somehow managed to use 6GB of data this month.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

mac5155 wrote:
mac5155 wrote:Ok, so my S5 has been spotty coverage lately and I just tested my wife's iPhone side by side with it. I got .53 mpbs down and .47 up. She got 27mbps down and 25 up right next to it. Icons both read LTE. What gives?
So it would appear I am being throttled. I used navigation on the way down and back to nashville. I guess that ate up a ton of data. Somehow managed to use 6GB of data this month.
Which carrier? We had to up our data plan, after bumping up against 4GB the last few months. Dang Google Music eating up the bandwidth on my 6 minute commute.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:
mac5155 wrote:
Which carrier? We had to up our data plan, after bumping up against 4GB the last few months. Dang Google Music eating up the bandwidth on my 6 minute commute.
AT&T. In the past with my S2 they would send me a text when I got to 4GB and warn me. Nothing here. I think the problem was I updated all my apps via LTE the day I got the phone, because my WiFi was down and I was impatient. I checked usage and only about 40MB came from Maps.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

OK, I have Verizon. I set up text alerts at 50, 75, and 90%. The numbers don't jive with what the My Verizon app says I've used for both phones on the account though. Very odd.

Good grief. My wife and I have sent 371 text messages this week. I didn't even have a text plan on my last phone contract.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

You don't have unlimited texting?
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

We do now, but Verizon still tracks total texts in their app. I had 100 texts or something on my last contract. :lol:
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

I don't even want to know how many texts I use. i hardly ever actually talk on my phone. When I used to work at VZW, which was from 2004-2010, I saw people with 10,000+ text messages a month pretty often. Can only imagine thats the norm these days.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I text a lot, but I use Google Voice in my computer web browser. Rarely on the phone. I bet the ration of GV:Handset texts are 9:1 for me.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:OK, I have Verizon. I set up text alerts at 50, 75, and 90%. The numbers don't jive with what the My Verizon app says I've used for both phones on the account though. Very odd.

Good grief. My wife and I have sent 371 text messages this week. I didn't even have a text plan on my last phone contract.
I realized that the built in data-tracker wasn't synced to my billing cycle, but still, ATT usually takes it upon themselves to send me a text to let me know i'm in "the top 5% of data users" or whatever.

I have unlimited texting, im talking data (well, I have unlimited data too, just not at unlimited speeds :pop: ) Wife and I send a good bit. Her texts are a lot lower than mine though now thanks to iMessage. I'm one of the few people in my group of friends that has a droid.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

mac5155 wrote:
I stream two radio stations to my phone and user my slingbox regularly and I never use more than 1.2 gb/mo.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

According to my breakdown, since April 13 (day I got the phone + day billing cycle started) I've used 1.62 GB on Internet, 1.49 GB on Facebook, 1.10 GB on YouTube, 896MB on Reddit. No idea how I've used that much on Facebook. I wonder if push notifications are eating my data alive? I never turn on WiFi (never had to worry about this)
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Loaf31 »

Use onavao extend... It's a lifesaver for data consumption

Stupid autocorrect
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by malkinshair »

ulf wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:I got the S3 update from Verizon this morning as well, but no update on VZW's support site. Nothing (yet) on the interwebs, and it says I'm still running Android 4.3.
I ran my update today too. I don't see a difference
Mine updated this morning, and no discernable difference. I looked online and the rumor was that we were getting 4.4 kit kat. Still running 4.3 though. I admit to knowing next to nothing about any of this.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Wow, April 15 - May 9 I've used 1.92 gb total on mobile data. WiFi is my friend.

Your Facebook usage has to be so high because it's sending so much media. Your feeds are all pictures and videos and whatnot, and with that latest 'update' to Facebook where videos autoplay..... yeah, I can see using a ton of bandwidth on Facebook.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Okay, so I updated the OS last week (Galaxy S3). Last couple days, my phone has taken to being extraordinarily slow and laggy. It occasionally freezes up completely for a minute or so. Battery life seems worse, but I've really noticed that it takes forever to re-charge. For example, I was down to 36%, so I put it on the charger.... two hours later, I'm only at 61%.

Anyone else having issues?
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

I haven't noticed a difference at all. I did buy a new battery a few days before the update though.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

It's possible that it's draining a bit faster. Not sure if I've noticed it charging slowly though... I typically don't pay attention when I have it plugged in.