Car thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Car thread

Post by JS© »

I had a citation that I used for rural mail delivery. It was a rustbox that had no business passing any inspection. I didn't treat that thing with any love but it was semi-reliable (slight starter issues) for almost 2 years.

other vehicles that were lucky enough to be driven by JS© include:

1988 Ford Festiva, also in this exact color scheme. I wouldn't mind one of these as a car to drive back and forth to work in. At best, I was getting almost 50 mpg, did zero maintenance on it and it ran quite well for 3+ years. When I mean zero, I mean no tire rotations, no visits to a garage, and not even a single oil change for 2 years. When a friend of mine borrowed it to drive from SC to FL for the weekend, he said he'd even change the oil in it for me. He asked when the last time I changed it and of course I said I had no idea. Long story short, he said it poured like a combination of maple syrup and mud. I'm not sure if I even changed it after that.

Not sure why they included a lock on the gas cap door. Were they afraid that somebody was going to steal the 4 gal of gas that might have been in the tank of the average driver?
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I dated a girl who drove the spiritual successor to that Festiva, the Ford Aspire. The joke being that it Aspired to be a real car one day.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Volvo xc60 t6 r-design 3.0 325hp turbocharged is a real nice crossover. Paddle shifters (is that what they are called?) are a blast, serious power throwing me back in the seat, fun car to drive
Last edited by eddysnake on Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

dodint wrote:I dated a girl who drove the spiritual successor to that Festiva, the Ford Aspire. The joke being that it Aspired to be a real car one day.
My first car was a teal Ford Aspire. :)
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I didn't know they came in teal. I only ever saw them in the blue/purple with the pink badging. I think the badging was vinyl, don't want to weigh the thing down too much with the powerplant it had.

The interent is awesome. Wife and I decided to pull the trigger and trade in her E46 330xi. Jumped online, found a suitable replacement, applied for the loan, bought an extended warranty, secured the insurance, and printed the check. All in about an hour. Did it with USAAs car buying service, happy coincidence the car was in their database. That same process would've taken days back when I bought my first car in 2001 or so.

Heading up to DC on Saturday to kick the tires and hopefully drive off with it. PFiDC, are you anywhere near Manassas or Alexandria? 8-)
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I just watched an in-cockpit video of a friend of mine out in Vegas at Exotics Racing: I think it was 530 HP Porsche.
It's unclear whether he took the wife and kids along, but he seems to be having a good time.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Anyone know of anything good that will fix shallow scratches? Some ******* brushed up against my wife's brand new Altima in a parking lot.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Probably overkill for what you're looking to do, but this is a great article on how to do it the right way. It sounds like you just want to find a compound to buff it out, though. If the scratches are slight enough you can probably skip the sanding and start with Step 4 of that tutorial.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Anyone ever get sick on a roadtrip and vomit?
Spoiler:
:slug: :slug:
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

My sister, the kind soul that she is, took a picture of me getting out of the back of my Land Rover on the night of my wedding reception. All you see is a dress blue trouser leg and vomit sprayed from the window all the way to the back of the car. Stay classy.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

mac5155 wrote:Anyone ever get sick on a roadtrip and vomit?
Spoiler:
:slug: :slug:
Right after I graduated college I moved to Voorhees, NJ. My then fiancee, no wife, and I went to a friends party in Delaware. After my wife was driving the roughly 45 minutes back home I threw up into the closed window right when we parked. It was also below freezing. Frozen puke though is easy to get out of leather :)
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

They day I graduated boot camp my wife put us up in an expensive B&B for the weekend here on the coast. She was a waitress at Eat 'N Park at the time so $250/night might as well have been $1000/night to her, but she did it because boot camp blows and she wanted me to have the best.

Went to the bar that night, got good and plastered, then ordered some "deep fried banana bites." As soon as we get back to the B&B I opened her car door and puked in the parking lot. My wife was mortified since we had to stay there the next few days and everyone clearly knew who did it since it was all over the car, etc.

I am an awful manchild.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

was at allegheny college for NYE one day, one of the people we went up with had to be at work 8AM new years day. we left at 5 AM, it was essentially a blizzard and we had to stpo 8 times for peopel to throw up on the side of the road. oops
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

While on our way to a Metallica concert in Buffalo back in '88, we were passing around a bottle of Yukon Jack. My buddy had eaten tuna sandwiches for dinner. We made it to the parking lot before he lost it all over the back seat floor. Needless to say, the ride home wasn't too fun.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Jason Aldean, 2009 for me. Chunks through my fingers. Pre concert.
Spoiler:
I was standing if you're wondering.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

This video of supercars and classics starting up is oddly compelling:

[youtube][/youtube]
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

NIN Downward Spiral Tour (1994 or 1995), mixing beer and Jack/Coke on the way to the show. We are in the parking lot, out of my friend's truck for no more than 30 seconds and I can feel it coming on. Thinking that a few swigs from my 7-11 cup full of coke would help things, I reach back inside the truck, grab my cup and take a drink. Completely forgot that my Coke was converted to Jack/Coke halfway to the show. Long story short, off goes the lid, JS© fills the 32 oz cup with 2/3 of "recycled" coke/jack/beer/pizza and sets it casually under the neighboring car's driver side door.

Did a similar thing inside a base club in San Diego right after boot camp.

edit: re-reading that, I kinda hate younger me. :lol:
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1091 ... rcar-looks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

ooo that's sharp, fathers day is coming up, I better start giving some subtle hints...
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Speaking of oddly compelling...

[youtube][/youtube]
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

From whatever angle they're using, it doesn't look that bad. Oddly deceiving.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

So I read online that needing to get your oil changed every 3k miles or 3 months is a lie.

Can anyone confirm? Why are they allowed to keep this lie going?
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I change mine every 5,000 miles. Or I should say, I go to the dealer and have them do it.
I believe 7000 is also acceptable, but this forces me to have someone make sure everything looks good otherwise.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Because your service interval is such an individualistic thing that it's true for some folks so they can pretty much say it. I've heard of lots of different intervals but outside of racing I've rarely heard of anything less than 3K miles.

The car we bought this weekend does 15K intervals. *shrug*
It also doesn't have a dipstick. :cry: