Car thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Car thread

Post by columbia »

tifosi77 wrote:A 3-door hatchback is fine; in fact, I think those are the perfect combination of performance and utility. (One of the things I enjoyed about Spain was the ability to see so many 'Top Gear' cars, hot hatches that they test on the show all the time but aren't available for sale in the U.S.) But once you add those two extra doors, you are now putting the premium on utility over performance. And that's an event horizon of motoring that rarely gets uncrossed.
columbia wrote:Im always amused by the my car is an extension of my schwanz crowd.
It's not the car, per se, but rather what the car symbolizes about your lifestyle. Same 40-year old dude driving down PCH, first trip is in an Aston Martin DB9, the next trip is in a Range Rover Evoque. But are 'status' cars that connote high financial achievement..... but they send very different messages about that guy's lifestyle and priorities. Even if misguidedly so, it's an inescapable subliminal reaction. Some may look at Aston driver and think 'mid-life crisis', others may think 'sweet ride'..... they do not think he's off to pick up the kids at soccer practice or Home Depot for lumber.
Why would you care what other people think about your choice in cars?

I'd drive a 68 Charger if I could, because THEY"RE REALLY AWESOME, but certainly not because of what message it might supposedly send.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

It's not a question of caring, really. It's just a law of nature - your car says a lot about you.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

My Subaru reeked of cigarettes and my Toyota doesn't.....that definitely says more about me. :lol:
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

To me, cars = transportation and nothing else. I find the idea of spending a lot on a car to "say something about myself" to be silly and waste of money.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

meow wrote:What happened to your VW?
I have that still, too. Between the wife and I, we (somehow) have 3 vehicles. lol
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Factorial wrote:To me, cars = transportation and nothing else. I find the idea of spending a lot on a car to "say something about myself" to be silly and waste of money.
Whether you intend it to or not, your choice of wheels sends a message to all who observe.

The person driving the Orpik 'free candy' van puts out a very different vibe than the guy driving the Range Rover in my earlier post. You may think it's silly, but it's no less true. To wit, I'd be willing to bet that if someone replaced your car with the exact same make and model, but in day-glo orange with paisley upholstery, you'd probably be quick about looking to offload that. A big part of that is personal taste, of course, but a chunk is also because you probably don't want to be seen driving around in a car that looks like a life jacket.

That doesn't always mean that the message your ride gives off is always accurate. For example, I'm 41 years old, married with two dogs and a cat, I and drive a 2001 Toyota Celica GT with 120k on the odo. The interior is constantly covered in a fine layer of dog hair, and the exterior is spotted and ugly thanks to street parking too close to lawn sprinklers. The message this sends out is that I'm shiftless and don't care much about my appearance, and that I'm not quite ready to let go of my youth...... but the reality of the message is "I have a mortgage and no longer wish to spend hard earned on depreciating assets". (Okay, maybe a bit of the former, too, if I'm honest)
60sixx
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by 60sixx »

Hi -

Was wondering what products you fellas (and/or ladies) use when detailing your cars. For wax, I have been using Hydrophobic from the Nanoskin line. It's probably the best I've used as far as deep shine AND beading capability. I'm always interested in what others use though.

I just purchased a Jeep Cherokee and waxed it yesterday. Now trying to get inside of windshield clean and failing so far. Factory chemical film, etc. Going to try some Invisible Glass. What do you guys use? I'm not patient/neat enough to do the newspaper/vinegar thing...plus I want to keep the new car smell as long as I can. :D
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

mac5155 wrote:
I have that still, too. Between the wife and I, we (somehow) have 3 vehicles. lol
Why don't you sell one of them?
Firebird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Firebird »

60sixx wrote:Hi -

Was wondering what products you fellas (and/or ladies) use when detailing your cars. For wax, I have been using Hydrophobic from the Nanoskin line. It's probably the best I've used as far as deep shine AND beading capability. I'm always interested in what others use though.

I just purchased a Jeep Cherokee and waxed it yesterday. Now trying to get inside of windshield clean and failing so far. Factory chemical film, etc. Going to try some Invisible Glass. What do you guys use? I'm not patient/neat enough to do the newspaper/vinegar thing...plus I want to keep the new car smell as long as I can. :D

My current setup is:

Nanoskin clay bar mit (alternative to actual clay) used with Meguirs Quik-Detail. " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blackfire Polish http://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-gloss ... olish.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chemical Guys 109 Sealant (usually 2 coats): http://www.autogeek.net/chemical-guys-jetseal-109.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blackfire BlackIce wax: http://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-black ... t-wax.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I highly recommend the claying (but not on a new car, for at least a year)

(I have a black car)
shafnutz05 wrote:
mac5155 wrote:
Why don't you sell one of them?
A daily driver is nice to have. My DD isn't even worth $2k - it's worth more to keep than to sell, and actually having a DD has probably saved at least that in the value of the other car.
Factorial wrote:To me, cars = transportation and nothing else. I find the idea of spending a lot on a car to "say something about myself" to be silly and waste of money.
Sometimes the fun and the smile that comes with it is worth it. I would love to be driving around PA, where at least there is some semblance of hills and sharp bends
60sixx
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by 60sixx »

Firebird wrote:I highly recommend the claying (but not on a new car, for at least a year)
Yeah, I figured that would be best - especially since there's essentially nothing but the clear coat on it. I did get the claybar sponge deal from Nanoskin, but only time I've used it was on my old car - which was kind of too far gone. Will be interested to see how it does on a newer, cleaner vehicle.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

tifosi77 wrote:
Whether you intend it to or not, your choice of wheels sends a message to all who observe.

The person driving the Orpik 'free candy' van puts out a very different vibe than the guy driving the Range Rover in my earlier post. You may think it's silly, but it's no less true. To wit, I'd be willing to bet that if someone replaced your car with the exact same make and model, but in day-glo orange with paisley upholstery, you'd probably be quick about looking to offload that. A big part of that is personal taste, of course, but a chunk is also because you probably don't want to be seen driving around in a car that looks like a life jacket.

That doesn't always mean that the message your ride gives off is always accurate. For example, I'm 41 years old, married with two dogs and a cat, I and drive a 2001 Toyota Celica GT with 120k on the odo. The interior is constantly covered in a fine layer of dog hair, and the exterior is spotted and ugly thanks to street parking too close to lawn sprinklers. The message this sends out is that I'm shiftless and don't care much about my appearance, and that I'm not quite ready to let go of my youth...... but the reality of the message is "I have a mortgage and no longer wish to spend hard earned on depreciating assets". (Okay, maybe a bit of the former, too, if I'm honest)
I'm not disputing that others may feel as you do but that I would judge anyone based on their car and it's condition and would care to send any sort of message with my choice of car and it's condition.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

If i ever see a guy driving a BMW, I automatically assume they're a jagoff.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

count2infinity wrote:If i ever see a guy driving a BMW, I automatically assume they're a jagoff.
Not surprising. :)
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

count2infinity wrote:If i ever see a guy driving a BMW, I automatically assume they're a jagoff.
not sure you need to assume...
http://blogs.marketwatch.com/thetell/20 ... dies-find/
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Change that to Range Rover and I agree as well.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

^
M3 drivers are the worst, and you I am sure are no exception. Ok we get it pal, some of us didn't have the same success you did, why are you up in our faces about it? Typical BMW driver. You all drive around in your German clown limousines looking down at the rest of us with contempt because we are not as wealthy as you. Speeding and cutting us off because you think you are better than us. You make me sick. Why don't you sell that schnitzel wagon and get a real car?? One that doesn't make you be such a jerk on the road? Maybe an Audi A5, or perhaps a Lexus IS series??
CBear3
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by CBear3 »

I loved both my M3's. I silently weep when I see one while driving the Collie/Kid wagon.

Also, may I point out the beloved Porcubimmer. The only BMW with the ****** on the outside
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by redwill »

I agree. I bought a used RAV4 about a year and a half ago. I don't really care for the looks. It's sort of a large bicycle helmet, like most cars today. At least it's not neon green like the Ford Fiesta I test drove.

But it has great utility and the interior is a nice place to be. Now if the MPG could edge above 24 it would be one of the best decisions I've ever made.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I found the perfect car for tifosi:
Spoiler:
Firebird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Firebird »

Or, they're just smart car buyers.

Would you rather have a loaded ford fusion, or spend $7k less on a 2.5-3 year old, second hand loaded BMW 335/Audi S4 with ~20,000 miles?

Pretty easy decision for me - considering one can make it around a bend and one cannot.
Last edited by Firebird on Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

CBear3 wrote:I loved both my M3's.
:pop:
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

cool image bro
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

What are the maintenance costs on that 2 to 3 year-old BMW? I've known a few people that bought used ones and they are sky high.

But point taken on buying a loaded fusion or loaded anything that is "cheap".
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

For Mac when that bambino comes along:
Spoiler:
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Not saying I'm at your mom's house, not saying I'm not.

Post by Chefpatrick871 »

Factorial wrote:What are the maintenance costs on that 2 to 3 year-old BMW? I've known a few people that bought used ones and they are sky high.

But point taken on buying a loaded fusion or loaded anything that is "cheap".
Cant speak for BMW but my now 8 year old A4 has been great. Nothing other than normal wear and tear, breaks, tires, etc, and the labor costs have been reasonable. Had a small exhaust issue recently, decided it was time to upgrade to a HF system did the entire thing for under a g. Also I've found German cars are relatively easy to work on.