Car thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Car thread

Post by Tomas »

Firebird wrote:
Tomas wrote:
Firebird wrote:Image

Added a front lip spoiler over damage from fishtailing on an ice sheet at 5-10mph into a very small (2-3 inch diameter) tree trunk. Nicely able to improve the looks and cover over the scratched bumper
Where can one buy such a front lip spoiler? (I have something similar, though slightly less serious, on my BMW 328.)
Thanks!!
What year? The fitment changes for LCI vs pre LCI on the E90's.

Assuming you have sport package? I think there's a different bumper with the sport packages on the 328's?
No sport package. Just the standard boring silver 2009 328 XDrive...
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

This happened Saturday morning in the race series I'm building my car for, Lap 1 Turn 1 of an Endurance race, folks...

[youtube][/youtube]
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

That looks just like Forza/F1 on Xbox. Go into the 1st corner and hold your breath, because you know some idiot is going to fly up the inside.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

The driver at faults reaction was "Well, I had a good run." All divebombs look good until they don't. :face:

I imagine he'll get a 13 month ban.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Coming in hot
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Is that your in-car?

I love hearing knuckleheads try to rationalize that nonsense. "I had a good run"...... what you meant to say was, "The braking point was 100 m further upstream than I thought". Like Ryan Hunter-Reay's comments after Long Beach, or Pastor Maldonado blaming Esteban Gutierrez in Bahrain.

To finish first, you must first finish. Or not. My buddy and I used to do this all the time playing the old IndyCar PC game. We called it "ONWARD TO GLORY!"
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

That is not me, but it is the series and class that I'm building my car for and my 'home' track, VIR. BMWCCA SE36. Though the guy with poor choices was not in an SE36, it's multiclass racing. You can tell because he is running a rear deck wing. The gentleman who shot that in car was so disgusted he pulled into the pits and quit the day.

A second view, from farther back in the pack:

[youtube][/youtube]

That car looks to be a SpecE30 judging by the squared off window.
CBear3
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by CBear3 »

MRandall25 wrote:That looks just like Forza/F1 on Xbox. Go into the 1st corner and hold your breath, because you know some idiot is going to fly up the inside.
F1? Wow, they made the Maldonado AI really lifelike.
Actually, from the second view, while he is going too deep, it looks like the situation was exaggerated more by putting the right sides in the grass.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

The front straight at VIR has a kink. We presume he misjudged it way back and the right side off that exacerbated the whole thing was a reaction to that. Who knows, he had a good run.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

CBear3 wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:That looks just like Forza/F1 on Xbox. Go into the 1st corner and hold your breath, because you know some idiot is going to fly up the inside.
F1? Wow, they made the Maldonado AI really lifelike.
Actually, from the second view, while he is going too deep, it looks like the situation was exaggerated more by putting the right sides in the grass.
I was referring to strictly online. The CPU rides on rails.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I assumed he was referencing the video below, but I got Maldonado and Grosjean mixed up:

[youtube][/youtube]

It still applies, though. Maldonado is erratic at best. Seems to be somewhat more subdued this year, though.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

Love my jeep but the 2015 challengers look sick.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

I couldn't imagine having a RWD daily driver.. especially after having a Jeep or other 4x4, in this area.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

My buddy that lives in Cincy has been crunching the numbers for years on how to get himself a new Vette. The real hitch is that it's too wide for this townhouse garage door, and it'd be too hard to drive in the winter as he only has room for one car. He's been watching jobs in Austin, TX to solve both problems at once.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

dodint wrote:I assumed he was referencing the video below, but I got Maldonado and Grosjean mixed up:

[youtube][/youtube]

It still applies, though. Maldonado is erratic at best. Seems to be somewhat more subdued this year, though.
When I first saw the accident (shown on the wide shot) I thought Alonso had been decapitated. No matter how many times I watch that on-board replay, I still cringe as the Lotus flies by.

It's like watching the replay of Senna's opening lap at Donington '93 - no matter how many times I watch it, I still can't quite believe he makes the pass on Wendlinger on the outside of Craner stick.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

mac5155 wrote:I couldn't imagine having a RWD daily driver.. especially after having a Jeep or other 4x4, in this area.
My daily commute for the last year and a half takes me through the hilliest part of Los Angeles, in a residential neighborhood. My love of manual transmissions has evaporated. Two separate occasions I've gotten stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic on a 25% grade and overheated my clutch.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Cheat with the handbrake and save some money. It's what I used to do when I worked in downtown Greensburg.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

I do to get going from a dead stop, but it doesn't help much when traffic is actually moving at like 1.5 mph as cars shuttle through 4-way stops.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

tifosi77 wrote:I do to get going from a dead stop, but it doesn't help much when traffic is actually moving at like 1.5 mph as cars shuttle through 4-way stops.
I'm very comfortable with my standard around Pittsburgh, any more though and shifting would get cumbersome.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Unless youre retired and can take your car out during offpeak traffic or you live in the country, i see no reason not to have an auto or cvt.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

I love my DSG automatic in my VW. It's an automatic that shifts electronically with a clutch, no torque converter. So it is a manual without having to shift
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Yeah, as much as I love gear selectors I can't imagine any car that I buy brand new will have anything more manual than a flappy paddle gearbox. I was looking at getting an M235i if I move to Germany and I'd likely go that route, though I'm happy to say I could still get an H-gate if I wanted one.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

They will pry my gear-shift lever out of my cold, dead hands (and the clutch pedal away from my cold, dead left foot). My last two cars had manuals, my current car is manual, and my next car will be manual.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

Shyster wrote:They will pry my gear-shift lever out of my cold, dead hands (and the clutch pedal away from my cold, dead left foot). My last two cars had manuals, my current car is manual, and my next car will be manual.
Agreed. It's all about control.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by redwill »

Shyster wrote:They will pry my gear-shift lever out of my cold, dead hands (and the clutch pedal away from my cold, dead left foot). My last two cars had manuals, my current car is manual, and my next car will be manual.
Will your next house boy be called Manuel?