Car thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Car thread

Post by MRandall25 »

Spoilered due to size
Spoiler:
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Is that Leno?
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

We finally found something bigger than Leno's chin.....that photo.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

Leno and a McLaren, I believe. He must be so bored in his retirement, with only his massive collection of classic and exotic cars to play with.

So, so jealous.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Yeah, Leno. 1 of only 3 McLaren P1s in the US, if what I read was correct.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Can't find a shop that has a fender lip roller. You'd think living in redneck hell there would be one in every shop. Don't feel like paying $250 to buy one myself since I'll only use it once.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Ball peen hammer dat ish.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Yup, Jay Leno and a McLaren P1. You can see the reflection of the McLaren logo in the window, which I'm guessing means the photo was taken at McLaren of Beverly Hills, on Wilshire Blvd

Browsing through their inventory of pre-owned vehicles, I realize that I've made some poor career choices. A 2010 Ferrari 458 with less than 2300 on the odo for $249,880. Makes the 2010 McLaren MP4-12C for $209,880 look downright economical. Altho the Macca does have over 8k on the clock.
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Location: Depends. I might be here, but I could be there. Hard to tell sometimes.

Post by OutofFoil »

Harbor Freight is your friend. If you only need it once, get it there because it probably won't work twice. But it's cheap.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

car people:

my car overheated this weekend in cleveland. on thursday, they replaced the upper and lower coolant hoses and filled me up? they said it was a thermometer/thermostat issue in cleveland and replaced that for 180 bucks or so. has been running fine since, knock on wood. i asked the mechanic if there was any correlation between the first fix and the second issue and they said no but i find it almost impossible to believe its coincidence?
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

How much does this run for?
http://www.mclarenbeverlyhills.com/mcla ... la-one.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I can't find a roller at HF, the only retail roller I can seem to find is this Eastwood roller. I found a place in the next county over and they're a TireRack installer so that will probably be my end run, just waiting on a quote. If it ends up being greater than 50% of the price of the part I'll just buy the tool.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:car people:

my car overheated this weekend in cleveland. on thursday, they replaced the upper and lower coolant hoses and filled me up? they said it was a thermometer/thermostat issue in cleveland and replaced that for 180 bucks or so. has been running fine since, knock on wood. i asked the mechanic if there was any correlation between the first fix and the second issue and they said no but i find it almost impossible to believe its coincidence?
they replaced the hoses then that caused a t-stat problem?
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

columbia wrote:How much does this run for?
http://www.mclarenbeverlyhills.com/mcla ... la-one.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A lot. :lol: And I wonder if a private owner could even manage to start the engine without a team of mechanics and their equipment. I think I read once that F1 teams have to hook the engines up to devices that pre-heat the oil and coolant before starting them, since the engines don't want to run (or can't run) when cold.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

mac5155 wrote:
Letang Is The Truth wrote:car people:

they replaced the hoses then that caused a t-stat problem?
to me thats what seems like happened - the thermostat was fine until they were goofing with the coolant stuff and my car overheats a day later. they said its unrelated but seems unlikely to me
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

well its definitely related. The hose (most likely on the top) hooks up to the thermostat. The thermostat was probably causing the overheating (which maybe they messed up when they replaced hoses) - why'd they replace the hoses anyway? were they leaking?
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

ya i had a leak
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

They probably jacked something up on the t-stat (overtightened a hose or something). A lot of times the t-stats just stick and need cleaned.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

excellent. thank you for this information. i will be seeking remuneration
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

what year/make/model car?
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Shyster wrote:
columbia wrote:How much does this run for?
A lot. :lol: And I wonder if a private owner could even manage to start the engine without a team of mechanics and their equipment. I think I read once that F1 teams have to hook the engines up to devices that pre-heat the oil and coolant before starting them, since the engines don't want to run (or can't run) when cold.
Depends on how you want to define cost.

You could probably buy a roller (no drivetrain) 'show car' for half a million or so. But that's a far cry from what it cost McLaren.

That car is one of seven chassis built for the 2006 World Championship season, the first of the now-defunct V8 engine formula. It is estimated that McLaren's budget for that year was $406.5 million. (Which would actually be closer to $600 million if Mercedes' expenditures on the powerplant were factored in) Of that, maybe 30%-35% can be directly attributable to designing, building and testing the car. Divide that by seven, and you get ~$17 million per car.

Ferrari operates the F1 Clienti program under their Corsa Clienti banner. Basically, you pay about $1 million and you get an ex-F1 car (at least two years removed from competition, which I think is to adhere to FIA testing restrictions) and a team of mechanics who bring the vehicles to certain tracks around the world and give you the keys. (Maintenance costs are a tightly held secret, but it's rumored to be around $1 million per anum.) The most popular cars are from the early 2000s; full on traction control and much more forgiving aerodynamics make them comparatively easy to drive. But you want Reubens Barrichello's F2002? Right you go. Gerhard Berger's 412T2 from 1995? Sure. Gilles Villeneuve's 312T5 from 1980? Might take some time to fabricate spares, but okay. But I would recommend you stay away from the F399 challenger from 1999..... they had some..... 'issues'......
Spoiler:
Taken at the exit of turn 6 at Laguna Seca
If I had been about ten years younger (and single) when the program launched, I think I would have tried to volunteer as a marshal.

Seriously, you want to have a laugh, go to YouTube and search "Ferrari F1 Clienti" then select the video of your choice, sit back and watch the hamburgers tool about Laguna Seca or Miller Motorsports Park.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I've seen that photo, but didn't know it was from Laguna. hah.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

mac5155 wrote:what year/make/model car?
04 Acura tl
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

You can see how the hose mounts on.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

Speaking of cars, I just learned from my brother that someone stole my sister-in-law's Honda CRV right out of their driveway last night.