Let's talk about music

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Let's talk about music

Post by skullman80 »

columbia wrote:Here's the garage demo of that Metallica song above:
http://www.guitarworld.com/listen-metal ... rds-summer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Was just going to post that.. anyhow... I think its pretty good. Obviously its a demo so its rough around the edges. I think it could be trimmed in a few places and the solo needs cleaned up, but I like the idea, and the riffs are very good. James voice is eh, but that ain't gonna change, he's old... it would get cleaned up I'm sure for the actual studio release.

[youtube][/youtube]
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

Discharge is far superior to Metallica:

[youtube][/youtube]
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Her'e that Disharge cover:

[youtube][/youtube]
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

Factorial wrote:Discharge is far superior to Metallica:

[youtube][/youtube]

They are two different types of bands. Discharge more of a Punk band, Metallica more Metal. So can't really compare the two. Metallica definitely took influence from punk bands though especially in the earlier albums.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

They did love them some Misfits.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

skullman80 wrote:Metallica definitely took influence from punk bands though especially in the earlier albums.
IMO, everything they've done since ...And Justice For All is a big, stinking, pandering pile of crap.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

They definitely have reached that dubious territory of being 25+ years removed from their last legitimately good record. But, hey, Bowie finally put another decent album after 30 years.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

I ignore the Black Album and St Anger, Load and ReLoad had its moments, but I dig Death Magnetic.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

I don't get how you can like parts of Load and Reload, but none of Black Album... I always figured Black Album was closer to a Justice feel than either of the Eb tuned albums.

Also, Death Magnetic was pretty close to the Black Album, IMO.

Unless you just hate the Black Album because that was their first foray into the "mainstream"
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

I hate the Black Album for the same reason I hate Ten by PJ. Overkill.....
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Overkill as in overplayed?
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Yes....overplayed.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

Load and Reload would have been very good as ONE record. Trim all the fat and you have one good collection of songs, didn't need to be split into two records. Too much filler.

St. Anger... ugh. Not sure what to say about this. They were in a weird place when they wrote that album, its honestly awful for the most part. It has a few, and I mean few sections of decent riffing, but overall its pretty damn awfull.

Black Album... I don't hate it. It has been played to death, but thats to be expected because its the album that got them main stream recognition. It is what it is. It has some killer tracks on it though, and production wise, sonically its top notch.

Death Magnetic.... I enjoyed a lot. Pretty much every song was good. The production wasn't great on it, but I thought it was a major step back in the right direction after St. Anger. Though the 4 songs they released on Beyond Magnetic.. IE Just a Bullet away and Rebel Of Babylon could have replaced a track or two on the actual album as I thought they were better then say Unforgiven version 5000 etc.

The first four albums are classics in my opinion, with Puppets being the legit best album ever, not in just rock/metal but in any genre. It is perfection personified.

I also think there was a much bigger change in musical direction from Justice to the Black Album then there was from the Black Album to Load and Reload.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

color me surprised at how spot on some of these were...

[youtube][/youtube]
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

I wasn't into Metallica when I was younger, only coming around to my senses in the past 8-10 years. That means they were fully immersed in their lame phase when I started listening to them.... but it also meant that I got the full catalog in one go.

Death Magnetic is clearly their strongest work since they started making videos.... but that's not exactly high praise; sorta like claiming you're the tallest hobbit in all of Middle-earth. But the album is all but ruined by the poor quality of the recording. I remember seeing an interview with Vinnie Paul in which he stated that, as a producer, if a band he was working with wanted that kind of a sound, he'd politely ask to have his name taken off the album credits. It's such a pile of stink crap, sonically.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

tifosi77 wrote: Death Magnetic is clearly their strongest work since they started making videos.... but that's not exactly high praise; sorta like claiming you're the tallest hobbit in all of Middle-earth.
Excellent. Will steal.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

tifosi77 wrote:I wasn't into Metallica when I was younger, only coming around to my senses in the past 8-10 years. That means they were fully immersed in their lame phase when I started listening to them.... but it also meant that I got the full catalog in one go.

Death Magnetic is clearly their strongest work since they started making videos.... but that's not exactly high praise; sorta like claiming you're the tallest hobbit in all of Middle-earth. But the album is all but ruined by the poor quality of the recording. I remember seeing an interview with Vinnie Paul in which he stated that, as a producer, if a band he was working with wanted that kind of a sound, he'd politely ask to have his name taken off the album credits. It's such a pile of stink crap, sonically.
I agree, Death Magnetic... production wise is bad. They try to make everything so loud in the mix that it just muddles crap.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep11/a ... udness.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Explains it pretty well.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

So what explains his crappy drum sound on St. Anger? :pop:
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

columbia wrote:So what explains his crappy drum sound on St. Anger? :pop:
Flipping the snares off
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Yep...turn off the snare and detune the toms. You have the drum sound of St Anger.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

Haha. No the sound on St Anger as far as the drums go was no ones fault but Lars. I still can't listen to much of that record simply because of that. Even the few good things that are on there... the drums just kill it.

I would kill to have an album sound like Justice again, just up the bass mix a bit. The guitar sound on that album was awesome, and James' voice was at its peak IMO. Would love to get a production mixture between Justice and the Black album.. would sound pretty good I think.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

I recall that they wanted a sound of a band playing in the garage. Ive heard and played for many bad sounding bands sound or tuning wise.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

FreeCandy44 wrote:I recall that they wanted a sound of a band playing in the garage. Ive heard and played for many bad sounding bands sound or tuning wise.
Yeah. I mean I get it. They were all in a pretty F'd up place. That was just a angry release album. I mean I get where they were coming from. I get the idea, I just think even with better production most of those songs still sucked haha. I do think they had to get that album out of their system though. So it is what it is.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

I like Frantic.....thats it, thats the list.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

I like quite a few riffs on the album. I think the My world riff isn't bad, nor is dirty window, or shoot me again. Drum wise though... ugh. Of course no Solos cause they were in that "we don't need to do solos phase".. lyrically it was pretty bad too... Invisible kid lyrics.. try to read those without LOL'ing. There were some good ideas there, but none were fleshed out very well. The only way to really listen to those songs is off the live DVD that came with the album. Lars doesn't detune his snare there, and the songs sound much better. You can only polish a turd so much, but yeah.