Car thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Car thread

Post by tifosi77 »

Well, I clearly didn't treat it right.... :lol:

534 in a Talon is quite the punch.

Mine was just a gray '95 2L air breather that I bought from a friend who was an amateur (Miata) racer. She didn't do anything fancy to it, and I didn't have it long enough to mod it in any way.
Spoiler:
That car was bad juju. I got it from my friend on my birthday.... just before she left L.A. for a few weeks because of a death in her family. That was early April. End of May, the engine went all gloppy. Decided to pay for a rebuild, and the shop did the work, at which time I promptly got hit with some financial trouble that killed my ability to actually pay for the work. Fast forward about 18 months, I've finally paid off the balance and gotten my car out of jail. Six weeks after that I totaled it in a single-car accident that may or may not have involved me doing in excess of 100 mph on Sunset Blvd. Crested a blind curve, lost the back end, and slid sideways into a stone wall, with a cast iron mail box bar coming through the drivers side window and embedding in the headrest. If the car hadn't hit a curb before hitting that wall, the bar would have gone through my head. Both suspensions on the drivers side collapsed, the frame was bent a good 15°, and so I had to get out of the car using the sunroof cos neither door would open.

In addition to the colossal stupidity on display, two things stand out about that accident: 1) I was listening to Rage Against The Machine "Killing In The Name Of" at the time, and after the crashing and banging stopped the car's electrical was still working. So I was sitting there in a puddle of my own terror listening to Zack de la Rocha scream "F**K YOU I WON'T DO WHAT YOU TELL ME!" over and over again. Which didn't really help calm me, if I'm honest. And 2) the cops who came out to investigate were super cool. The one asked me how fast I was going and said, "I don't know.... 40? 50?" And the other dude, who had been investigating the scene chuckled and said something to the first cop. He asked if I was sure that was my speed.... because my skid marks were 178 feet long, which sort of implies I was going a good bit faster than that, and that I was probably still going 40 or 50 when I hit the wall. Then he said, "Don't worry, we aren't going to cite you. This [pointing to my wrecked car] is bad enough. Besides we just rolled a squad car last week, so it wouldn't feel right."

All told, I owned the car from April 7, 2000 to January 19, 2002. But I only had it in my possession during that time for 119 days. I spent a grand total of $13,500 on it, for an operating cost of $113 per day of use.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

I wish i could go back and get my first vehicle, a 92 jeep Cherokee. 3" lift, flowmasters, 33" tires, and the best stereo system in my town
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

Haha mac I'm dreading buying tires for that beast. I think there are 32 or 33s on there now. Probably not factory I take it.

Can you tell I just basically said "I'll take it" without doing a ton of research?
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Gotta pay to play. My truck tires were $1400 for a set of 4.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

mac5155 wrote:Got a leveling kit installed on my F-150 last week, and new tires this week. I'm in love

Here they are in all their mud digging glory
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Volkswagen is testing a new type of battery that it says could be four times as powerful as existing technology
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/car ... -cars.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

A buddy of mine is selling his '04 M3 because he's tired of the cops following him around. He's asking $23,000 for it, which to me means he's not selling it.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

how many miles?
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I want to say in the ~75K range. It's his DD and he runs between Charlotte and here pretty often, so it's not a garage queen. It's in nice shape, black, manual. I know he hasn't been doing the regular interval valve adjustments though, so who knows what else he is skipping out on.

My mechanic is a PCA/BMWCCA driving instructor. Talked to him yesterday and he go fed up with driving his E46 M3 and decided to strip it to race instead, said he would've sold that one for $14K if someone offered. That car wasn't nearly as strong cosmetically, though.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Bioshock »

dodint wrote:A buddy of mine is selling his '04 M3 because he's tired of the cops following him around. He's asking $23,000 for it, which to me means he's not selling it.
He's nuts. That car specs out it 12,500 dollars on KBB.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Yeah, he's in love with the car. Needs money to go to school, but he's probably taking that car with him at that price. Being stuck between a bunch of military bases he might get something on the higher end of the private party spectrum, but I'd be shocked if he got more than $16K. If I'm going to spend $23K on a used M, it's going to be a Z4 M Coupe and it'll be 4-6 years newer than his M3.

Here is the Craigslist ad. I forgot about the sound system, it's hard to get your money back on stuff like that.

I feel for the guy, he just loves the car. I have an M6 project that I'm working on and I can't decide if it sucks more that the project is coming along so slowly, or that I should just sell it to someone that can fix it now. I love the car but it's just rotting away right now.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ulf »

You can get a certified 2011 with under 30k miles for around that price
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

columbia wrote:Volkswagen is testing a new type of battery that it says could be four times as powerful as existing technology
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/car ... -cars.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What would be useful is a battery that charges in 1/4 the time.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

why would the cops be following you around in a car like that?
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

tifosi77 wrote:
columbia wrote:Volkswagen is testing a new type of battery that it says could be four times as powerful as existing technology
Not sure I see the application in alternator-charged vehicles?
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

mac5155 wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:
Not sure I see the application in alternator-charged vehicles?
Yeah, me either. My car is a track car so I would rather have a battery that has full CCA and longevity but is 1/4 the size. Basically a motorcycle/alarm system battery that can operate a vehicle full time.

As for the cop comment, with the large military population there is a ton of cops in the area. State police and even the local municipalities. There are also a ton of Mustangs, Camaros, 370Zs, M cars, and jacked up trucks. Really just a huge population of alpha male B/S.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

I mean it more in terms of electric cars, which do not have alternators.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Pfft, electric cars. That's not murrican.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

oh, duh :lol:
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

The battery is the Achilles heel of electric cars. I'd buy one today if I thought they were actually useful, but as long as they are reliant on batteries they really won't be. I mean, you can go the route of the Fisker/Eagle Head i-Hammer Thrust/Mclaren P1, Porsche 918, LaFerrari and have a gas engine that's used to recharge the battery packs on the go. But that's still burning gas, albeit at a much reduced rate.

The person who invents a way to store or generate electrical energy with the capacity of an internal combustion engine is going to make themselves rich beyond their wildest dreams.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I think the next car I get needs to be a hybrid. I am leery of fully electric cars.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

For highway cruising nothing beats my diesel. But I have contemplated buying the wife a hybrid Fusion
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I would buy an electric car if it could guarantee me the same distance as my motorcycle, about 150 miles, per charge. Except I could never go more than 75 miles from my house, so maybe not. I just don't see how that kind of range could add value to my life unless I'm looking for a strict commuter, but I already have one of those and it's paid off.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Doesn't the Volt allow you to run on gas, too? Electric for 50 miles then Gas?
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Also, that electricty isn't free. Anyone know what it would cost per annum to run a fully electric car? My wife likes to not run the heat because of the electric cost, imagine charging a car battery every third day.