Car thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Car thread

Post by MRandall25 »

Toyota trucks are virtually indestructible.

*insert Top Gear Hilux video here*
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Location: Depends. I might be here, but I could be there. Hard to tell sometimes.

Post by OutofFoil »

I once owned a Toyota T100. That thing was a beast. Sold it to a mine to use as their yard truck with 200k on it, it's still going with almost 300k on it now. This is after my ex decided shed do me a favor and change the oil. But instead of draining the old oil out, she drained the transmission and and filled it with 5 extra quarts of oil, but left it with nothing in the tranny and proceeded to drive 50 miles or so and asked why the tranny was slipping and it was smoking... Never hurt the truck, drained all the oil, put the proper amount back in, changed the filter in the tranny, filled it, drove a bit, drained it, repeated that a few times to get all the smoked clutch material out of it and it was just fine. Next truck I buy will be a Toyota, if I need a truck again, even though they are more expensive.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

LOL how the F did the extra 5 qts of oil even fit in it.
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Location: Depends. I might be here, but I could be there. Hard to tell sometimes.

Post by OutofFoil »

I don't know, I was too busy cussing her while I was under the truck, but it's crazy it went in and didn't destroy anything. It was a nice gesture on her part, but she wasn't allowed to work on vehicles anymore after that incident.
Firebird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Firebird »

OutofFoil wrote:I don't know, I was too busy cussing her while I was under the truck, but it's crazy it went in and didn't destroy anything. It was a nice gesture on her part, but she wasn't allowed to work on vehicles anymore after that incident.
How do you even begin confuse the transmission pan with the engine oil? Did she at least bring you Iced Tea when you were fixing that mess?
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by OutofFoil »

In fairness, the drains were only like 3" apart. But she wasn't the most mechanically inclined person to begin with. She wanted to surprise me, and she definitely did that.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

It's never come up, but as someone who does all his own oil changes and is highly particular about it, being told "Surprise! I changed your oil!" would probably result in a moment of abject terror.
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by OutofFoil »

I hear you Shyster, thankfully she surprised me on the truck and not my race car. I built the engine in it myself, including the machining. If she surprised me on it, if you've seen the Wayne Brady bit on Chappelle's show, that's what would have been going through my mind. Not a board friendly reaction to say the least.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

A friend's grandparents are selling their 2007 Taurus, ~81K, for $3500. Might have to jump on this and take it considering we just lost a vehicle and can't really afford a car payment. This would also allow us to put a little of the totaled value of our prius in the bank for future repairs when needed. Ive nothing but good things about the car, especially for the price.
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by OutofFoil »

I have an 08 Taurus as a company vehicle. 86k on it. Been a good car, comfy ride, decent power. But it is a Taurus, I think I age 20 years by being in it. I don't think I've seen anyone under 50 with one, except the SHO, which is sweet. Only problems were the seat heaters died and I've had to replace a steering rack.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

My coworker has a mariner which is about the same. I think he likes it
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Crankshaft »

mac5155 wrote:My coworker has a mariner which is about the same. I think he likes it
Isn't a Mariner an SUV?
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

Does anyone know if you can use GM credit card rewards points on certified used vehicles?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

mac5155 wrote:My coworker has a mariner which is about the same. I think he likes it
The Sable is the Taurus look-alike from Mercury
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Crankshaft wrote:
Isn't a Mariner an SUV?
You're right.. It's a Milan
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

Mazda dealer called with one of those "there's super high demand for your car, come in and we'll make you an offer you can't refuse to take a new one home" pitches.

I'll hear them out but I bet they can't. Other than the warranty just ended, I have no reason really to give it up. Half the term is left on a 5 year loan, plan is to give it to my kid then and get myself something swank. I have no extra $ kicking around for a down payment, but if they take $0 down beyond the trade and give me current payment on a 4 year loan I'd do it.

They'll probably laugh me out of their office but hey, they called me.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

Bought an FJ. Couldn't find a Tacoma for months. Was interested in a Ridgeline but as soon as they come in they go out and finding one with under 50K in my price range was impossible.

I love the vehicle. It's horrible on gas--which I knew, especially in the city but it looks cool. It's safer and sturdier than what I traded in. Found an 08 with under 50k miles & was in really good shape. Has good resale value and positive reviews. Satisfied. Not looking forward to buying tires in a year and a half but that also comes with the territory.

That was the reason I asked the thread about Toyota trucks, I'd already bought the thing but posters in here seem to know what they're talking about.

Kind of funny that according to current commercials a RAM gets better highway mileage.

I like the Dodge Dart ST but I know those are Fiats in a Dodge package and will just enjoy my monster truck for a few years.
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by OutofFoil »

FJ's are beasts!
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Whats an FJ?

If you dont know what it is, you can afford it.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

Idoit40fans wrote:Whats an FJ?

If you dont know what it is, you can afford it.
:thumb:
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

jimjom wrote:Bought an FJ. Couldn't find a Tacoma for months. Was interested in a Ridgeline but as soon as they come in they go out and finding one with under 50K in my price range was impossible.

I love the vehicle. It's horrible on gas--which I knew, especially in the city but it looks cool. It's safer and sturdier than what I traded in. Found an 08 with under 50k miles & was in really good shape. Has good resale value and positive reviews. Satisfied. Not looking forward to buying tires in a year and a half but that also comes with the territory.

That was the reason I asked the thread about Toyota trucks, I'd already bought the thing but posters in here seem to know what they're talking about.

Kind of funny that according to current commercials a RAM gets better highway mileage.

I like the Dodge Dart ST but I know those are Fiats in a Dodge package and will just enjoy my monster truck for a few years.
My buddy had one and said the blind spots in it were horrible. He was a bit nit picky though. Traded it in on a Tacoma. Never drives the tacoma, but drives a beater 2001 Ranger.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

The blind spots are pretty bad in the back with only one little window on the side to see anything. Have to go with instincts a lot.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Nice. Now, lift it up, and throw some 35s under it. :lol:
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

OutofFoil wrote:But instead of draining the old oil out, she drained the transmission and and filled it with 5 extra quarts of oil, but left it with nothing in the tranny and proceeded to drive 50 miles or so and asked why the tranny was slipping and it was smoking... Never hurt the truck, drained all the oil, put the proper amount back in, changed the filter in the tranny, filled it, drove a bit, drained it, repeated that a few times to get all the smoked clutch material out of it and it was just fine.
My first car was an Eagle Talon (ooooooooooooh......), and the oil pan was accidentally overfilled by a small amount, maybe a quart. Thing lasted about 40 miles before the motor seized. Was out cruising PCH when I started getting a terrible vibration in the car; at the time I was near NAS Pt. Mugu, which is about 25 miles from Santa Monica. So I put it in 5th, hit the emergency lights and tried driving home, running every red light I encountered. I made it to Malibu before I got to a light where there was traffic in front of me, obligating me to stop. The car didn't move under its own power again (well, not until after $5500 had been spent on an engine rebuild..... on an $8000 car....... I'm not the brightest bulb in the chandelier)
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by OutofFoil »

tifosi77 wrote:
OutofFoil wrote:But instead of draining the old oil out, she drained the transmission and and filled it with 5 extra quarts of oil, but left it with nothing in the tranny and proceeded to drive 50 miles or so and asked why the tranny was slipping and it was smoking... Never hurt the truck, drained all the oil, put the proper amount back in, changed the filter in the tranny, filled it, drove a bit, drained it, repeated that a few times to get all the smoked clutch material out of it and it was just fine.
My first car was an Eagle Talon (ooooooooooooh......), and the oil pan was accidentally overfilled by a small amount, maybe a quart. Thing lasted about 40 miles before the motor seized. Was out cruising PCH when I started getting a terrible vibration in the car; at the time I was near NAS Pt. Mugu, which is about 25 miles from Santa Monica. So I put it in 5th, hit the emergency lights and tried driving home, running every red light I encountered. I made it to Malibu before I got to a light where there was traffic in front of me, obligating me to stop. The car didn't move under its own power again (well, not until after $5500 had been spent on an engine rebuild..... on an $8000 car....... I'm not the brightest bulb in the chandelier)
I knew there was something I liked about you Tif. What year Talon? Was it the AWD turbo? I had a 92 and that was the race car that I referred to that I built. 534 HP and an 11.1s 1/4 mile at 134 MPH. Those engines were bulletproof if treated right.