Car thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Car thread

Post by Idoit40fans »

Do they remind you of quads?
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

Firebird wrote:
viva la ben wrote:Earlier this week my car (2007 saturn vue) took 3-4 cranks to start after I filled my gas tank. It happened again this morning and now my ses light is on. Through google I believe my evap canister purge valve is bad. I'm going to autozone to see of that's the code that shows up. Have any of the mechanically inclined people changed this part before? It's only 18.99. Thanks!
It could just be bad gas. Maybe you caught the station just as the tanker loaded up the tanks (never refuel if you see a tanker in the lot of a gas station).

Could also be that you didn't turn the gas cap tight enough and not enough pressure is building in the gas tank or you gas cap is bad.
Replacing the purge valve on the engine was surprisingly easy, took 15 minutes tops. Fixed the startup issue after gas fillup, and also fixed the rough idle I've experienced the last month or so. Seems that if that valve goes bad it jacks ip the fuel/air ratio.
While at advance I bought one of those actron u scan odb scanners. It uses a smartphone app to reads diag codes, and lets me reset the ses light.
/csb
Firebird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Firebird »

Glad it worked out for you!
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

Anyone have experience with applying bedliner? I have a leak somewhere around my driver's side door of my Jeep. I took the carpet out and pulled the drain plugs to let the water out, but I'd really like to bedline the floorboards for extra protection. Just wondering if this is something fairly easy to apply or if I should pay someone to do it right.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

this is all i can think of.

http://www.rhinolinings.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Crankshaft »

Hockeynut! wrote:Anyone have experience with applying bedliner? I have a leak somewhere around my driver's side door of my Jeep. I took the carpet out and pulled the drain plugs to let the water out, but I'd really like to bedline the floorboards for extra protection. Just wondering if this is something fairly easy to apply or if I should pay someone to do it right.

http://www.ziebart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

if you take your time im sure you can do it yourself. its pretty messy stuff though. if youre just covering it up with carpet then who cares how bad of a job you do :pop:
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/henn ... -2014-2-24" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hennessey Venom hit 270.49 MPH, breaking the record set by the Bugatti Veyron Super Sport.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

Cognac and cars?
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

My reaction to the Top Gear segment with the McLaren P1.
Spoiler:
MRandall25 wrote:http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/henn ... -2014-2-24

Hennessey Venom hit 270.49 MPH, breaking the record set by the Bugatti Veyron Super Sport.
If they had a proper track I'd bet they could hit 280.... which is bonkers fast.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/ ... shxml.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Automotive professors and students at South Puget Sound Community College (SPSCC) were in shock Tuesday after being notified their $250,000 preproduction Dodge Viper SRT must be destroyed within two weeks.

“It’s like the day Kennedy was shot,” Norm Chapman, automotive-technology professor at SPSCC, said. “No one will forget where they were when they heard the news.”

Steven Glasco, vehicle-donations coordinator at Chrysler, confirmed that the complete collection of the educational-donation Vipers nationwide must be crushed. He would not comment further on the number of vehicles or why the decision was made.

“All I can tell you is we sent a letter to the school,” Glasco said by telephone Tuesday afternoon.

Chapman said he was told by a company official that the destruction of 93 vehicles is the result of two educational Vipers that “got loose” and were involved in accidents, costing parent company Fiat millions of dollars.

Car companies regularly donate damaged, nonstreet-legal or unsellable vehicles to high schools, colleges and tech schools for training students. SPSCC has about 20 donated vehicles in its auto shop.

Part of the contract with the donated Viper reads that it will be destroyed if the company orders it to be.

The 1992 Dodge Viper was the fourth produced by the company.

The preproduction vehicle is not legal for street use and was never meant for resale. It has no emission controls or speed limiters. It features a makeshift hardtop, making it a one-of-a-kind vehicle because the company did not make a production hardtop until 1996.

The Viper produces roughly 600 horsepower on a 2,200-pound, fiberglass-body vehicle. It can go from zero to 60 mph in 3.8 seconds.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

They can't return it to Dodge/Chrysler? It would make for a nice museum piece.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Sell it for charity money?
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

This is probably why it can't be sold and they need to destroy them:
The preproduction vehicle is not legal for street use and was never meant for resale. It has no emission controls or speed limiters.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

I thought Barrett Jackson usually has vehicles like that..?
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

Fiat has the legal right to order them to be destroyed, and they obviously care more about the potential liability than preserving a bit of Dodge history. No surprise after they killed the Dodge Trucks brand in favor of Ram.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Hockeynut! wrote:This is probably why it can't be sold and they need to destroy them:
The preproduction vehicle is not legal for street use and was never meant for resale. It has no emission controls or speed limiters.
I fail to see the problem here. ;)
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

I think they should run a speed test.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

MRandall25 wrote:I think they should run a speed test.
It would easily crack 200mph I'd imagine.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

Willie Kool wrote:Fiat has the legal right to order them to be destroyed, and they obviously care more about the potential liability than preserving a bit of Dodge history. No surprise after they killed the Dodge Trucks brand in favor of Ram.
What the deal with Ram vs Ford vs Chevy trucks. Who buys which brand and why? Trucks seem to have more brand loyal fans that vehicles in general. Is it Nascar related?
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Factorial wrote:
Willie Kool wrote:Fiat has the legal right to order them to be destroyed, and they obviously care more about the potential liability than preserving a bit of Dodge history. No surprise after they killed the Dodge Trucks brand in favor of Ram.
What the deal with Ram vs Ford vs Chevy trucks. Who buys which brand and why? Trucks seem to have more brand loyal fans that vehicles in general. Is it Nascar related?
Redneck related. I own a ford truck, and have owned a chevy truck and a dodge truck. of the 3, the ford was the nicest but it was also the newest. If I was buying a truck today, I'd still get the ford though.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

mac5155 wrote:
Redneck related.
:lol:
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

as a rule of thumb redneck and nascar fan are sometimes mutually exclusive.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

What about Toyota trucks? Is that a Northeast/West Coast thing?
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Toyota trucks are good trucks. The tundra I looked at was a step above base model and the F150 I bought was a step below the top of the line model and they were the same price. Plus Ford came with a better warranty cause it was certified pre owned.