Let's talk about music

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
legame
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Let's talk about music

Post by legame »

Jesse wrote:FYI, don't bother trying to get Brand New tickets to Stage AE in July. It's already sold out. I waited too long.
Almost every one-off show they've done in the last three years has sold out within minutes of the pre-sale opening. The dudes know how to play just enough to consistently draw insane crowds without releasing new material more than once every five years. PS: I got my tickets and will be driving up from NC.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

It appears Ice-T's Body Count is playing Mayhem Festival this summer. And fyi, the pgh date is July 26.

Its looking like:
A7X
Korn
Body Count
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

New Wild Beasts album out now. DL it, they're good.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

That Volbeat/King Diamond song "Room 42" isnt to shabby. Singer needs to lay off the Hetfield though.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

[youtube][/youtube]
legame
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by legame »

New Lost in the Trees album is out. Holy Radiohead ripoff. The orchestral folk is long gone.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2 parodies (Miley's Wrecking Ball and Black Metal), one video. Not bad.

changing the embedded video because too much skin. Not quite NSFW but could be questionable.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Continuing the Fender talk from the Peeves thread...

All Fender really is, at this point, is so you can say "I have a Fender". Their sound is no longer exclusive to their Strat/Tele models due to the coil tap/5-way selectors on other guitars (new Gibsons have a coil-tap feature, my Ibanez has a 5-way switch where I get Fender-y tones).

Fenders are really only useful for 3 styles of music: Funk, Country/Western, and blues.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Truth and preach it!

Most comfortable guitar I ever played was a PRS. Never owned one but it will be my next purchase....whenever the hell that is.

I miss playing shows. I play every Sunday at church and that is enough but I'd like to get out there again. The old Singer and I are talking about doing some acoustic stuff. Coffee shops and small bars. That sort of thing. We have a knack of taking good tunes and making them work as a duo. If only I could sing.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

What happened to your cover band?
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

This is the best pic of my Warlock that I have handy:
Spoiler:
That one is kind of old... this is a newer, partial pic... I had replaced the bridge pickup with an EMG 81. Meant to get an 85 for the neck, but never got around to it.:
Spoiler:
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

the wicked child wrote:What happened to your cover band?
Who has the biggest ego in a band? The singer. We had 2.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

the dude from Aphex Twin owned (possibly still owns?) a tank and regularly drove it around town. He also sampled it into a few of his songs.
One great thing about the decline of the British Empire has been the steady trickle of old war toys that wash up on English shores. I bought my Daimler Ferret Mark 3 tank in a deal that was a bit shady really, kind of an exchange. I paid some money and swapped some, um, "things" with this guy I knew in Cornwall. He gave me his tank (well, technically it's an armored scout car). He'd gotten it from some guy who used to rent it out to movies. Before that the Ferret was, I am told, used on missions in faraway places like India, Indonesia, Northern Ireland, and South Africa. "Crowd control."

My tank was made for the British army right after World War II. It's a big toy—larger than an ice cream truck, heavier than 9,500 pounds when combat-ready, with big fat wheels. And a gun. I like the Ferret not for its place in history, but for the place it occupies in my parents' backyard. (I moved from Cornwall to London and haven't sent for it yet.) When I lived in Cornwall, I'd drive it around town. It's easy to get carried away when you're raving down the thoroughfare in a steel-hulled tank. You become the colossus of roads. You don't even have to signal—people simply get right out of your way.

The vehicle pisses over virtual reality or any computer game I've ever played. It's an all-encompassing environment. You can't listen to any music inside—the engine's too loud. You have to listen to the tank's own sounds, which I've really come to like and have used on lots of records. The engine generates quite a nice noise when it's turning over, but when you're revving the Ferret, you get sort of scared.
http://www.aphextwin.nu/learn/98136109364492.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

If there was ever a guitar I would have loved to just hold in my hands it was the Hetfield White Explorer.. just always loved the look of that guitar, and its synonymous with Metallica to me especially the early years.

legame
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by legame »

If we're talking gear, I just bought a Hagstrom Viking last weekend. It sounds filthy.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Used red Mapex 6 piece drum set, with Sabian cymbals, DW double pedal, and Pro Mark 2b sticks. I modeled my set up after Abe from the Deftones, and ive been playing since I was 12.

viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

So I got around to buying Polvo's latest album Siberia. Polvo was kind of hit or miss for me back in the day; sometimes it was too disjointed or hard to listen to. This newest album released late last year is incredible. Fantastic noise rock with enough hooks you'll never lose interest. This is probably their best release. Every song is great.
[youtube][/youtube]
You can still stream the whole album here:
http://www.avclub.com/article/emthe-av- ... msi-103189" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

If you can walk around with Stan Bush in your headphones and not feel pretty good about the world, then I'm sorry you were born without a soul.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Those people surely don't have The Touch.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

What kind of amps do you guys use?

I've had a Line 6 Spider 15 watt for a few years, but part of me is getting bored with it. Not sure if it's because I can't turn it up above 1 or 2 without pissing off the neighbors, but I just feel like I'm not getting the sound I want out of it.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

MRandall25 wrote:What kind of amps do you guys use?

I've had a Line 6 Spider 15 watt for a few years, but part of me is getting bored with it. Not sure if it's because I can't turn it up above 1 or 2 without pissing off the neighbors, but I just feel like I'm not getting the sound I want out of it.
[youtube][/youtube]
legame
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by legame »

I ran with a Blues Junior for a long time, but just made the switch to a Vox AC15. I'm loving it thus far.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

13 floppies and a HDD playing Tainted Love
[youtube][/youtube]

or if you want to hear Marc Almond (the lead singer of Soft Cell) adding vocals after he was shown the video
Marc Almond wrote:Several people showed me the brilliant floppy drive rendition of Tainted Love by Gigawipf here on YouTube, so I thought it might be fun to add the vocal! :-)
[youtube][/youtube]
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

FreeCandy44 wrote:Used red Mapex 6 piece drum set, with Sabian cymbals, DW double pedal, and Pro Mark 2b sticks. I modeled my set up after Abe from the Deftones, and ive been playing since I was 12.

We should start a band. Anyone slap bass or sing?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

I mean, if you gave me a bass, I could probably play it (my roommate had a bass, so I'd play around on it from time to time).

I also sang is high school, but can't play the instrument and sing at the same time.

Also, slightly unrelated:

[youtube][/youtube]