How many of you own a droid?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: How many of you own a droid?

Post by ulf »

I've never had a problem with the gmail app
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I use InoMail, but it no longer automatically checks for new messages.
Also interested in a replacement.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

the wicked child wrote:So... question.. Can I buy any Verizon 4G LTE phone and slap the SIM card in? Seems like I should be able to, but I don't want to just go plop money down on a phone and find out after the fact that it doesn't work.
http://support.verizonwireless.com/supp ... _card.html
7. Can I use my Verizon Wireless 4G SIM in more than one device?

Yes; the Verizon Wireless 4G SIM card contains all of your subscriber information, so the SIM card is portable and can be used in any Verizon Wireless-certified 4G device. All usage will be billed to the account associated with the 4G SIM card.

11. Can I use my Verizon Wireless 4G SIM card in a 4G LTE device not purchased from Verizon Wireless?

Yes. You may activate any 4G LTE device that has been certified by Verizon Wireless to be compatible with our 4G LTE network, including devices not purchased directly from Verizon Wireless. Simply activate your 4G SIM card on a Verizon Wireless price plan.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Thanks!
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Gmail app works really well for me. My college is using Google for Higher Ed, so it uses Gmail for e-mail with my personal account.

I love how I can delete e-mail in the GSIII preview/notification screen.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Anyone else have this issue?:

If I launch a Google search form the default desktop widget, Chrome completely hangs, especially if I've launched a search that has not been auto-suggested.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

columbia wrote:Anyone else have this issue?:

If I launch a Google search form the default desktop widget, Chrome completely hangs, especially if I've launched a search that has not been auto-suggested.
yes. if I turn off wireless it then seems to work fine.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I just a ridiculous, non-standard search (orange pickles) and it came right up on 4G.
That's very curious.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

now when you turn wireless back on, it seems to work. I don't know why, but it seems like its something with toggling the wireless on and off.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I'll try it when I get home.
Thanks!
scb147
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by scb147 »

I use AquaMail, as I have emails outside of Gmail that I use. I like it enough that I paid for the full version.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Going to bump this thread just to mention that Hangouts (formerly Talk) can send SMS messages now. I enabled it, then got scared as I started getting new notification sounds...not sure if it's better or not than GOSMS (which I uninstalled because of issues reading iMessage MMS (?) from the nearly 95% of friends and family that use iOS phones), but it is interesting.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

We are moving to Tmobile from verizon and decided to do it early with zero down on Samsung phones. Wife had an S4 and she got the Note 3. I took the S4 moving in from my iPhone 4s.

What did it for me was no real upgrade in how the phone feels for a couple years now, no way to change the look with widgets and changing the charging cables but still not using micro USB.

I'm using Hangouts for SMS, it looks a lot cleaner than the built in app.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Post by Pitt87 »

DelPen wrote:We are moving to Tmobile from verizon and decided to do it early with zero down on Samsung phones. Wife had an S4 and she got the Note 3. I took the S4 moving in from my iPhone 4s.

What did it for me was no real upgrade in how the phone feels for a couple years now, no way to change the look with widgets and changing the charging cables but still not using micro USB.

I'm using Hangouts for SMS, it looks a lot cleaner than the built in app.
My problem with Hangouts for SMS is that I have a GVoice number still associated with Hangouts, so it was sending messages twice. Agree, however, that its a better approach for Android to remove the 'stock' messaging app, since they are all still very inconsistent with group messaging. Sounds like there will be full integration in 2014... calling, video, etc.
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Loaf31 »

Are there any themes for hangouts? I hate that both outgoing and incoming messages are white
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

I use Handcent SMS.. does anyone else's text messages get scrambled when coming from an iPhone? They will literally go 160 characters then the next 160 will be from a random message in my message history. This only happens when a long text is sent (161+ characters)
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

mac5155 wrote:I use Handcent SMS.. does anyone else's text messages get scrambled when coming from an iPhone? They will literally go 160 characters then the next 160 will be from a random message in my message history. This only happens when a long text is sent (161+ characters)

I've never noticed, though when I get a group message from someone with an Iphone I have to be careful when I reply because it gets sent to everyone in the group
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

stopper40 wrote:
mac5155 wrote:I use Handcent SMS.. does anyone else's text messages get scrambled when coming from an iPhone? They will literally go 160 characters then the next 160 will be from a random message in my message history. This only happens when a long text is sent (161+ characters)

I've never noticed, though when I get a group message from someone with an Iphone I have to be careful when I reply because it gets sent to everyone in the group
That's why I stopped using GoPRO SMS, it made responding to individuals in group iMessages very difficult. The default text app has an option to break off from group texts.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Any way yet to get number of unread badge to show up on hangouts?
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Loaf31 »

I'm due for an upgrade in Feb.... Any thoughts on new phones out now? I'm a VZW customer and completely ANTI-Apple
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

My Verizon Galaxy S3 updated the other day and the auto correct is now super aggressive.
Any way to deal with that?
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Use SwiftKey? I've been using that in place of the standard keyboard for a couple years now... haven't had any such issues.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

How many of you are moving to Tmobile? They are trying to really kick all of their asses with the no contract plans and the last thing I heard they were buying existing contracts from people who are with different networks just so they would switch to Tmobile.

http://bgr.com/2013/12/20/t-mobile-uncarrier-4-rumor/
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

Loaf31 wrote:I'm due for an upgrade in Feb.... Any thoughts on new phones out now? I'm a VZW customer and completely ANTI-Apple
The wife and I upgraded, for the first time in 5 years, in October. I got a Droid Maxx and she got a Moto X. I would definitely recommend looking at either one. The Maxx has been great. I have relatively big hands (I can palm a basketball) and love the size. It can go a couple days on a full charge if I'm not on it constantly, and VZW just pushed the KitKat update out for it today. Wife loves her Moto X as well.

I can also highly recommend the Otterbox Defender case for either one. I've dropped my phone a few times from 4 ft or higher on concrete, and it's been fine. Even landed right on the corner once with no issues.
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Loaf31 »

Willie Kool wrote:
Loaf31 wrote:I'm due for an upgrade in Feb.... Any thoughts on new phones out now? I'm a VZW customer and completely ANTI-Apple
The wife and I upgraded, for the first time in 5 years, in October. I got a Droid Maxx and she got a Moto X. I would definitely recommend looking at either one. The Maxx has been great. I have relatively big hands (I can palm a basketball) and love the size. It can go a couple days on a full charge if I'm not on it constantly, and VZW just pushed the KitKat update out for it yesterday. Wife loves her Moto X as well.

I can also highly recommend the Otterbox Defender case for either one. I've dropped my phone a few times from 4 ft or higher on concrete, and it's been fine. Even landed right on the corner once with no issues.

I have the Droid RAZR MAXX now, and for the most part I have loved the phone. I was looking at the Moto X and the HTC one.