Let's talk about music

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Let's talk about music

Post by MRandall25 »

count2infinity wrote:I love pop music mash ups...

[youtube][/youtube]
Holy crap this goes together extremely well.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

[youtube][/youtube]

These guys played this song live on DVE this morning and I really enjoyed it.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Kraftster wrote:Sigur Rós tonight.
My goodness. Never expected that. Wish I had better prepared. Sound engineering that show must be a tall order, and whoever did it must be one of the best in the world.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Sounds like you had fun. I have yet to listen to their new album.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by WDWBurghGooner »

Kraftster wrote:
Kraftster wrote:Sigur Rós tonight.
My goodness. Never expected that. Wish I had better prepared. Sound engineering that show must be a tall order, and whoever did it must be one of the best in the world.
Why do you say you weren't expecting that? Did you not know much about the band going in?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

I've been a casual fan for 10 years or so. I expected the whole experience to be a lot more... muted? Not a perfect word, but sort of gets at what surprised me about things. They rocked much harder than I ever would have imagined on stage and in a very forward way. I think they were an 11 piece last night and every stroke of every instruments seemed to be captured perfectly while also being indistinguishable from the whole of the...soundscapes being delivered.

When I say that I wish I had better prepared, I guess I would have liked to have had a better sense of the meaning of songs. It was very much like an opera only with less clues about what was being delivered was all about.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

How many people were there?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

~4,000
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by WDWBurghGooner »

Gaucho wrote:Sounds like you had fun. I have yet to listen to their new album.
It's pretty good. It sounds a bit different because their keyboard player left the band. Some songs have an almost industrial level to them but it is still unmistakably Sigur Ros. The title track is probably my favorite.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by WDWBurghGooner »

Kraftster wrote:I've been a casual fan for 10 years or so. I expected the whole experience to be a lot more... muted? Not a perfect word, but sort of gets at what surprised me about things. They rocked much harder than I ever would have imagined on stage and in a very forward way. I think they were an 11 piece last night and every stroke of every instruments seemed to be captured perfectly while also being indistinguishable from the whole of the...soundscapes being delivered.

When I say that I wish I had better prepared, I guess I would have liked to have had a better sense of the meaning of songs. It was very much like an opera only with less clues about what was being delivered was all about.
I've been a fan since 2001 so I admittedly knew what to expect even though I have never seen them live before last night. A number of their songs build to a crescendo and then rock at the end as you no doubt know. They definitely had 3 string players, 3 brass players, a percussion guy, a multi-instrumentalist, and the 3 band members. I was pretty surprised how filled in it got by the time they went on stage.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Billy Bragg: whisper it … but the British invented Americana
http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicb ... -teenagers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

WDWBurghGooner wrote:
Kraftster wrote:I've been a casual fan for 10 years or so. I expected the whole experience to be a lot more... muted? Not a perfect word, but sort of gets at what surprised me about things. They rocked much harder than I ever would have imagined on stage and in a very forward way. I think they were an 11 piece last night and every stroke of every instruments seemed to be captured perfectly while also being indistinguishable from the whole of the...soundscapes being delivered.

I've been a fan since 2001 so I admittedly knew what to expect even though I have never seen them live before last night. A number of their songs build to a crescendo and then rock at the end as you no doubt know. They definitely had 3 string players, 3 brass players, a percussion guy, a multi-instrumentalist, and the 3 band members. I was pretty surprised how filled in it got by the time they went on stage.
Do you know what the song was before Jónsi did the solo song? I am not very good with the names of their songs (I wonder why), and I really liked that one.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

The Kills doing a little mini tour in December (9, 10, 11 in Chicago, Detroit, Toronto) and 14 (opening for QotSA in Brooklyn). I might try to see them in Detroit or Toronto.

Also, a 2011 Kills show from Paris was made available online today. http://www.equipmentfr.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Kraftster on Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by WDWBurghGooner »

By solo do you mean signing-wise when he held that same note for a long time? Or do you mean when he did his only sort of obvious guitar solo in one of the last songs?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

WDWBurghGooner wrote:By solo do you mean signing-wise when he held that same note for a long time? Or do you mean when he did his only sort of obvious guitar solo in one of the last songs?
The one that concluded with the long note.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by WDWBurghGooner »

Kraftster wrote:
WDWBurghGooner wrote:By solo do you mean signing-wise when he held that same note for a long time? Or do you mean when he did his only sort of obvious guitar solo in one of the last songs?
The one that concluded with the long note.
I can't remember to be honest. I thought he did the solo during Olsen Olsen. I've been going through a youtube peformance they did this summer that I have watched before. He definitely does the solo, I can't find it at the minute but they don't play Olsen Olsen during their performance.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Pre-dated by:
Spoiler:
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

25 years later, I find out that Tracy Chapman is not from South Africa, but from Cleveland. Duh.
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by tjand72 »

It's been argued before, but after listening to Nickelback's complete catalog this evening, they're a solid pop-rock band. I was going to say that they're consistent (they are), but I'm anticipating someone saying that they consistently suck.

I will concede that their lyrics are terrible overall.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

How and why would you listen to Nickelback, let alone the catalog?
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

Yeah there is nothing good about Nickelback. Like not one single thing. Just awful stuff.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by WDWBurghGooner »

First time I heard "How You Remind Me" I knew that band was terrible.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

I find Lady GaGa more interesting musically then Nickelback.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by WDWBurghGooner »

Kraftster wrote:
WDWBurghGooner wrote:

Do you know what the song was before Jónsi did the solo song? I am not very good with the names of their songs (I wonder why), and I really liked that one.
Ok, so I finally found the solo on the youtube video. On the video, he does the solo in the middle of "Festival". The song played before Festival at Stage AE was Kveikur. Not sure if that is the song you were thinking of.