Let's talk about music

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Let's talk about music

Post by skullman80 »

Troy Loney wrote:
skullman80 wrote:Pearl Jam sucks. I can admit they are talented, but to my ears musically they suck.
Nirvana Sucks... like worst band ever sucks. Kurt Cobain had zero talent.. zilch... .nada. Grohl went on to much bigger and better things. The bassist wasn't half bad either. Cobain was just awful though.
I feel like you need to substantiate this claim. That's a really vague statement to make about a guy who was making power chord rock songs. Cobain was probably no master at the guitar, but they made some great songs. You just seem to be making a subjective statement and masking it as an objective claim.
I don't think he wrote a good song ever. I certainly don't speak for everyone though. To my ears though... awful. I never got all the praise he got as a songwriter. Never got it, never will. Just how I feel.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Come As You Are is pretty damn good.
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Ben Klingston »

Troy Loney wrote:
skullman80 wrote:Pearl Jam sucks. I can admit they are talented, but to my ears musically they suck.
Nirvana Sucks... like worst band ever sucks. Kurt Cobain had zero talent.. zilch... .nada. Grohl went on to much bigger and better things. The bassist wasn't half bad either. Cobain was just awful though.
I feel like you need to substantiate this claim. That's a really vague statement to make about a guy who was making power chord rock songs. Cobain was probably no master at the guitar, but they made some great songs. You just seem to be making a subjective statement and masking it as an objective claim.
Not to get all zen, but isn't this true for any assessment of whether music is 'good' or 'bad'? Is it related to how many people share the same assessment? Is it related to how melodic/complex an arrangement is in relation to technical difficulty? Is it related to the tempo and lyrical content? Is it related to how influential/groundbreaking it is? My view is it could or could not be related to any of these, and so many other factors.

I love this thread and when I see things like 'X music sucks/is bad/is a joke' or 'Y music is awesome/so much better than Z/' my eyes kind of gloss over and I view it as a singular statement/viewpoint coming from one person. It is not correct, it is not incorrect, because there is no correct or incorrect in such statements, IMHO. It's art. I've long since realized for myself that trying to make arguments for or against those assessments can make for interesting discussions but there is no winner or right/wrong outcome of that debate.

Except for Metallica/Slayer, etc and all the screaming death metal crap, cuz I mean, c'mon, that 'music' is crap. :P
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

One of the things that I like about this thread is folks - in general - stay away from "that kind of music, band, etc" sucks.
In that sense, it's a thread with multiple sub-threads, where people cordially discuss and inform others with similar tastes/interests.

If it turned into a forum of "objective truths", I'd probably stop reading it.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Music is what makes you happy, if you don't like a certain band or style....well that's why a radio still has so many presets.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

I certainly wasn't trying to derail the thread. If I did so.. my apologies.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Nah, I think we're all good here.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

FreeCandy44 wrote:Music is what makes you happy, if you don't like a certain band or style....well that's why a radio still has so many presets.
I can agree with this. I pop into this thread from time to time and listen to some of the songs that are posted and think to myself, "how can anyone listen to this garbage?" And I'm sure if some of you hopped in the car with me and listened to a playlist of mine, you'd be thinking the same. It's what YOU like. Doesn't matter what everyone else thinks.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

If Gaucho wasn't so obsessed with Seattle music and PJ, we would be fine. Nah hey...again I learned from my ex wife that there is a ton of excellent music that may or may not be for you. You may like Ke$ha while I like the Doors. That's the beauty of having so many different styles, like snack foods....you'll always find something you'll like. This has always been one of my favorite threads and in no way is it going off the rails.
Last edited by FreeCandy44 on Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Speaking of Seattle music, I listened to Macklemore and Ryan Lewis's "The Heist". Wow, I think some of the best songs on that album are the ones that haven't come out as singles yet.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

I find that popping tags song extremely catchy.
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Ben Klingston »

Oh, I didn't mean to imply this thread was going off the rails or the discussion wasn't appropriate... proclaiming a certain music is awesome or sucks is certainly 'talking about music' and belongs here. I just wanted to make the point/reminder that such statements are purely opinion and subjective and can't or shouldn't be taken as fact or correct/incorrect. Just a pet peeve of mine.... no harm done.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Atleast Ben likes Pearl Jam. ;)
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

superchunk concert streaming live at http://blog.kexp.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Spoiler:
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

On this note:

[youtube][/youtube]
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

[youtube][/youtube]
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

This song is absolutely amazing! And the video is pretty cool to.

[youtube][/youtube]
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Dave Grohl might be the coolest guy in rock next to one Josh Homme.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

[youtube][/youtube]
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

[youtube][/youtube]

The GZA was on Neil deGrasse Tyson's podcast in December last year. Current rap artists should be taking notes from this guy.

His segments start at 4:35, 12:19, 19:43, 23:43, 28:18
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I'm not really a fan, but this is new:

[youtube][/youtube]
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

FreeCandy44 wrote:Dave Grohl is the coolest guy in rock.
ftfy
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

skullman80 wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:
I don't think he wrote a good song ever. I certainly don't speak for everyone though. To my ears though... awful. I never got all the praise he got as a songwriter. Never got it, never will. Just how I feel.
Got ya, I guess I just differentiate between saying in my opinion this band isn't good vs this guy has no talent. Wasn't trying to derail the thread either.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

I hope this is satire.

[youtube][/youtube]