Let's talk about music

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Let's talk about music

Post by Troy Loney »

Well, assuming that you didn't listen to the song, I kind of feel like there is a disconnect between what people think emo is, and what emo is.

Are you a foo fighter's fan? two of the original members were from one of the more prominent emo bands of the 90's. I'm pretty sure one of those guys is still in the band.

Not that it means anything, just feel like it's a style that got a bad rap from bands that were just imitating blink 182.
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Ben Klingston »

tifosi77 wrote:
WDWBurghGooner wrote:Dave Grohl's documentary about Sound City Recording Studios is quality. It features people like: Fleetwood Mac, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Rick Springfield, Barry Manilow, Reo Speedwagon, Nirvana, Queens of the Stone Age, Rage Against the Machine, etc.
One of the best music documentaries I've ever seen
:thumb:
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Troy Loney wrote:Well, assuming that you didn't listen to the song, I kind of feel like there is a disconnect between what people think emo is, and what emo is.

Are you a foo fighter's fan? two of the original members were from one of the more prominent emo bands of the 90's. I'm pretty sure one of those guys is still in the band.

Not that it means anything, just feel like it's a style that got a bad rap from bands that were just imitating blink 182.
I was unaware Sunny Day Real Estate was emo.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Cloud Nothings at the Beachland Ballroom in Cleveland last night was awesome.

Both openers were pretty interesting. Two Hand Fools and Protomartyr. Protomartyr is fronted by an old dude (probably 20 years older than the rest of the band) that seems to shoot for a sort of Nick Cave vibe.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

hah, was just about to ask who opened.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

I guess Protomartyr is half made up of former members of a band you might know, Tyvek?
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

I guess the lead guy for Tyvek went solo. They're a solid Detroit punk band.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Troy Loney wrote:I guess the lead guy for Tyvek went solo. They're a solid Detroit punk band.
Yeah, both openers were punk bands. At least that's how I'd describe them. Check out Two Hand Fools when you get a chance, I'd be curious to see what you think. There was a bit of a difference of opinion regarding them among attendees last night. You can stream the album here http://www.punknews.org/review/12080/tw ... hand-fools" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (go with #5 Crestfallen)
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by WDWBurghGooner »

tifosi77 wrote:
WDWBurghGooner wrote:Dave Grohl's documentary about Sound City Recording Studios is quality. It features people like: Fleetwood Mac, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Rick Springfield, Barry Manilow, Reo Speedwagon, Nirvana, Queens of the Stone Age, Rage Against the Machine, etc.
One of the best music documentaries I've ever seen, definitely worth the $10. So, so good.

The part where they look at the original invoice for the Neve console actually raised the hair on my arms. #audiogeek
I'm not really an audiogeek myself but the talk about how the room and the Neve console contribute to the fullness of the drum sound was pretty cool.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by WDWBurghGooner »

Troy Loney wrote:Well, assuming that you didn't listen to the song, I kind of feel like there is a disconnect between what people think emo is, and what emo is.

I'll preface this by saying my emo knowledge doesn't really go beyond Taking Back Sunday.

I think you could actually argue that The Who were the first band that had emo elements or they are where emo comes from. Obviously, I don't think they fit the modern definition of emo and they have a different overall sound to a typical emo band. But many of their songs are certainly emotional/confessional and involve an element of screaming.

The drummer quit a long time ago but the bassist is still in Foo Fighters.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

I believe rights of spring are considered the first emo band. There's an element of punk/hardcore that is absent from someone like the Who.

[youtube][/youtube]
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/goi ... mpt=uo%3D4#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Listening to a podcast of Lyle Preslar, ex-guiltar player of Minor Threat and now a lawyer in New York. 20 minutes in and it's pretty interesting. So far he has spent a lot of time talking about the legal side of Minor Threat, how they held off on a lawsuit against NOFX because one band member (Brian Baker?) had a good working relationship with Fat Mike, about how Minor Threat was once used in an episode of Entourage (didn't know this), and how Minor Threat was almost used in Guitar Hero but was shot down by one band member. By the sounds of it, it seems like all of the band members all still keep in regular contact.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

WDWBurghGooner wrote:

I'll preface this by saying my emo knowledge doesn't really go beyond Taking Back Sunday.

I think you could actually argue that The Who were the first band that had emo elements or they are where emo comes from. Obviously, I don't think they fit the modern definition of emo and they have a different overall sound to a typical emo band. But many of their songs are certainly emotional/confessional and involve an element of screaming.

The drummer quit a long time ago but the bassist is still in Foo Fighters.
The drummer didn't exactly quit. Officially he did, but he was more or less pushed out of the band.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Well that and he was a very bad drummer.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

FreeCandy44 wrote:Well that and he was a very bad drummer.
Hence why he was pushed out ; )
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Ive decided to start a growly metal band that instead of lyrics you just read recipes from a cookbook. Since growling is oh so trendy and it doesn't really matter what your saying, it kills the having to write lyrics part.

FoodMetal©
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

FreeCandy44 wrote:Ive decided to start a growly metal band that instead of lyrics you just read recipes from a cookbook. Since growling is oh so trendy and it doesn't really matter what your saying, it kills the having to write lyrics part.

FoodMetal©
I think you're on to something.

It's like Corpsegrinder meets Rachel Rae (I feel less of a man for even typing that)
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Hammer smashed corn casserole
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

[youtube][/youtube]
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

Vegan black metal chef!
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

So much for originality.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

FreeCandy44 wrote:So much for originality.
Spoiler:
[youtube][/youtube]
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

The Bootleg Series Vol. 10 with recordings from 1969-71 (including Isle of Wight w/ The Band) out now.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

So the "MTV video music awards" are tonight. I remember 20+ years ago loving this show/network. Now...what a joke.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

The whole music industry changed in those 20 years.