Car thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Location: Depends. I might be here, but I could be there. Hard to tell sometimes.

Re: Car thread

Post by OutofFoil »

Factorial wrote:Found this '63 Vette eBay in my extended area:

2600 HP and street legal and can be yours for $375,000.00.

:face: although it's a better investment that those Civic Arena letters at that price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Worlds-F ... 2ec99a7e84" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Holy Frickin' Turbos Batman!
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

Factorial wrote:Found this '63 Vette eBay in my extended area:
[snip]
I'm going to make a wild guess that it probably doesn't corner all that well.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Cornering isn't really a concern, whenever I see a pony **** ahead. I just hit the gas and drive right over them. :wink:
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by tjand72 »

I'm in the process of looking for a truck. I didn't realize how much of a premium 4 wheel drive is. It's easily a $3000 premium over 2WD. On top of that, I'd like an extended cab with an 8ft bed.

I may have priced myself out of a truck with those options.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

New or used?

Not that I'd recommend it, but Chevy is offering steep discounts on their leftover 2013s. With the 8 foot bed you'd be surprised, most all base model work trucks have 8 foot beds, and a single cab is rare now-a-days anyway.
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by tjand72 »

I'd like to buy new, if possible. Many of the trucks in my price range seem to be regular cab, but I will check out Chevy. I've been a Ford guy, so maybe that's clouding my judgment.

Used is definitely a possibility if the price is right, though.
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by tjand72 »

I found a few trucks that I'd like to take a look at, but they're anywhere from 1 to 2.5 hours away. Obviously I'd like to take care of any offers or numbers before I go out of my way.

Does anyone have any tips/suggestions about buying/haggling over email?

Should I make an offer in my first email?

I'm going to get financing set up with my credit union before I go. Would it be better to mention that I'm at least interested in financing with the dealership?

Any info would be appreciated.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Post by Godric »

I will own you god damn it.
Spoiler:
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

tjand72 wrote:I found a few trucks that I'd like to take a look at, but they're anywhere from 1 to 2.5 hours away. Obviously I'd like to take care of any offers or numbers before I go out of my way.

Does anyone have any tips/suggestions about buying/haggling over email?

Should I make an offer in my first email?

I'm going to get financing set up with my credit union before I go. Would it be better to mention that I'm at least interested in financing with the dealership?

Any info would be appreciated.
I like to hold out until the last minute on anything. Keeping them in the dark as long as possible only gives you a better advantage. Don't even tell them about financing until you've settled on a final price.

Also, check out ford certified pre owned. I got my F150 that way, almost brand new, for cheaper than brand new, plus a better warranty. They extend the power train from 5y60k to 7y100k. Totally sold me.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by redwill »

This is sort of an ethical question about insurance.

About a month ago, I stupidly backed my car into my truck. The body shop's verbal estimate was $1700 - $1800. I checked with my insurance company and they said I gotta pay my $500 deductible and around $70 per year for the next three years in increased premiums.

The body shop's written estimate for the insurance company was $2400 and the final cost was $2700.

I know that the job cost the body shop < $2000, parts, labor, and profit.

Should I feel guilty that the body shop bilked the insurance company for at least $600? It didn't change my bottom line in the least.

If I wanted to wade into the muck, I suppose I could have asked the body shop for a couple hundred bucks kickback. But I don't wanna get involved in the mix. Plus they gave me a really nice loaner car for four days and detailed my car in the process. And they've been good to me for several years in the past, I want to stay in good with them, and I like them personally.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Don't sweat it, that's between the body shop and the insurance company. Between your deductible and your increased premiums you're effectively reimbursing the insurance company the difference in estimates.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

It's also possible that the body shop had to use more expensive OEM parts instead of aftermarket replacement parts because insurance was involved. I know some insurance companies insist on OEM parts only. I could easily see that being the difference in price.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

mac5155 wrote:New or used?

Not that I'd recommend it, but Chevy is offering steep discounts on their leftover 2013s. With the 8 foot bed you'd be surprised, most all base model work trucks have 8 foot beds, and a single cab is rare now-a-days anyway.
If you were a previous Chevy owner, they would be offering an almost $9k discount if you traded in a Chevy truck that was '99 or newer. Since Tj sounds like he's been a longtime Ford guy, that option probably won't work but I thought I'd post it for those who might be looking.

They also have a $2500-3000 cash incentive or 0% interest on a 2013 truck.

http://www.chevrolet.com/current-deals. ... _chevrolet" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by redwill »

With regard to insurance ...

Maybe. I am just troubled by the state of the insurance industry in this country.

I honestly believe that, for example, the idiocy of the insurance industry/medical industry relationship is largely responsible for the crisis of medical care costs that we have.

Think of all the ridiculous billing that goes on every day ...

It makes me weep, especially when people try to attribute the problem to other issues, like medical malpractice insurance.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Got a leveling kit installed on my F-150 last week, and new tires this week. I'm in love

canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

that looks solid, mac. thats the perfect size tire and the leveling kit sets em off. when are you gonna plastidip those wheels?

i like the ad placement, too :lol:
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Doing construction on I95 apparently, just the left lane is torn up. This is just after my on-ramp and i've never seen notice of it(presumably its on the highway just north of where I get on the highway), so I got on the highway yesterday, got across to the left lane then hit the torn up part of the road. Made it like 50 yards and a rock kicked up and hit my car. I was not happy. Fortunately it apparently didn't damage my window. CSB
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

I was getting over 38 miles per gallon in my Nissan sentra on the way home from the outter banks last week. Left with a full tank and only had to add 28 dollars on the way home and still came home with over half a tank.

I know its a lame car but love the MPG.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

canaan wrote:that looks solid, mac. thats the perfect size tire and the leveling kit sets em off. when are you gonna plastidip those wheels?

i like the ad placement, too :lol:
I dunno. I was thinking of maybe doing them before winter to try and save them a little bit. I just love the gunmetal look (those are stock wheels BTW). I think I went a tad too big on the tire.. there's about 1/4 inch or less between ball joint and tire.

I purposely did that (put the name in the pic).. funny thing is, those are Nitto Trail Grapplers.. he only sells Bridgestone/Firestone. He had to special order these :D
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

i was looking at those before i settled on my forum find on used ones. they arent cheap.
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by tjand72 »

Is it worth trading off a couple of years for 15-20,000 miles at the same price? For example, if I can get a 2009 truck with 16,000 miles for around the same price as a 2011 with 30-35,000 miles, is it worth losing a few years of warranty coverage?
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

I say go with the year not the mileage. Especially with engines now a days that run well into the 200k mile mark
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Yeah I agree with mac. The "value" of the older model is strangely calculated because dealerships see very few cars of that age with so little miles.

I traded in a 4 year old 2wd jeep patriot for 4k less than a showroom 2012 4wd patriot because it only had like 13k miles on it. I got like 12+ for it where some places wanted to give me 8500 for it.

so, yeah, definitely take the newer vehicle, even if it has more miles.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Also there really is no warranty tradeoff. Say you buy a 2009, you get a year-ish of warranty (assuming 5 year warranty). Or you buy a 2011 with 35k miles, you're going to get 25k miles worth of warranty (assuming 60k mile warranty), which for most people will last 1.5-2 years.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

So, I bought my Jeep in June and transferred my plate over from my Kia. The registration on those plates runs out the end of this month and I still haven't received a renewal form/new registration form. What should I do? I checked the DMV website and there's a form to get a registration request sent out, but it requires the title number and I have a loan on the Jeep so I don't have the title. I'm so confused.