Iginla to Boston

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Iginla to Boston

Post by Kovy27 »

Tomas wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:
MarioLives wrote:This to me stings a little. Like he chose the Bruins just to let the Pens know he made a mistake..... I don't like it one bit
Ask Hossa how that turned out...
He couldn't really hear what you'd ask, because he's got his two Stanley Cup rings plugging his ears...
And let me state, I like Hossa.

So does Jagr...thanks to Mario.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Tomas wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:
MarioLives wrote:This to me stings a little. Like he chose the Bruins just to let the Pens know he made a mistake..... I don't like it one bit
He couldn't really hear what you'd ask, because he's got his two Stanley Cup rings plugging his ears...
How many of those were from Detroit? The team he stiffed the Penguins and said had "a better chance of winning the cup?"

Once he went to Chicago, I actually rooted for him and the 'Hawks.

If you don't get the difference... Well...
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Tomas »

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Tomas wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:
How many of those were from Detroit? The team he stiffed the Penguins and said had "a better chance of winning the cup?"

Once he went to Chicago, I actually rooted for him and the 'Hawks.

If you don't get the difference... Well...
People can be so jumpy these days... :shock:

A) It was a joking reply to Kovy27 - which, based on his reply - he got

B) On a more philosophical note - I think if the question to Hossa indeed were "how did your life decisions turned out?" where at one point he could have stayed with Penguins and *maybe* won some Stanley Cup(s), while in the real world he left and *actually* won two, I really do think he would be quite happy with himself. Regardless which team he won with, how he got there, how many previous finals disappointments he lived through (which might have even positively influenced his ultimate performance during the SC runs..), etc.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

I wonder if people regret buying this Iggy jerseys now?
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

FreeCandy44 wrote:I wonder if people regret buying this Iggy jerseys now?
I hope so. Then again, if you willingly buy the jersey of a guy whose contract will run out in a few months you must have some money to throw around.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

DontToewsMeBro wrote:
I hope so. Then again, if you willingly buy the jersey of a guy whose contract will run out in a few months you must have some money to throw around.
Why would I regret it? And, why would it be a concern of yours anyway?

Iginla is, was and always will be one of my favorite players and I will forever be grateful he played for my team, even if only for a short while.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

MarioLives wrote:Will impact other high profile players from picking the pens though come trade deadline? Since Iggy was used so badly?
If players are always happy to go to Philly, they will continue to want to come here as well. Philly craps on just about every player they pick up.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Pitts wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:
Why would I regret it? And, why would it be a concern of yours anyway?

Iginla is, was and always will be one of my favorite players and I will forever be grateful he played for my team, even if only for a short while.
+1 having one of your favorites suit up for your team is awesome, even if it doesn't work out in the end.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Jarome Iginla Discusses His Time With The Penguins
http://thehockeywriters.com/jarome-igin ... -penguins/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bonne chance, Mr. Iginla...I LOVED having him as a Pen.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by topshelf »

KG wrote:I was listening to hockey night in canada radio today and Glen Healy was on talking about Iginla and his reputation. He said you will never find a coach who enjoyed having him on his team and that many of his teammates don't like him. He is apparently a locker room lawyer etc...

First I'm hearing about Iginla's bad reputation...just passing it along...
Wow... that's interesting. I've always heard the opposite. Thanks for sharing!
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

KG wrote:I was listening to hockey night in canada radio today and Glen Healy was on talking about Iginla and his reputation. He said you will never find a coach who enjoyed having him on his team and that many of his teammates don't like him. He is apparently a locker room lawyer etc...

First I'm hearing about Iginla's bad reputation...just passing it along...
Is it from coaches who coached in Calgary, or for national teams?

I could see it happening because he's had to deal with utter crap in Calgary. He was almost forced into that, given the rosters Calgary built around him.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

columbia wrote:Jarome Iginla Discusses His Time With The Penguins
http://thehockeywriters.com/jarome-igin ... -penguins/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bonne chance, Mr. Iginla...I LOVED having him as a Pen.
no mention of playing with malkin...not surprising. That wasn't his aim nor want. Bummer. Miscast and wasted.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

It makes me so sad to see the opportunity wasted to have Sid and Iginla play together. Really, what a waste. Thanks Dan.

A couple things from that article:
1. He didn't complain about playing LW because he thought it'd be no different... but now admits it was totally uncomfortable for him... which is what everyone but Dan could see from shift 1.

2. He came to Pitt to play with Sid.

3. He never even asked his agent to contact the Pens about re-signing.

In 2009 I blamed Hossa. Now, I blame the Pens.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

pcm wrote:It makes me so sad to see the opportunity wasted to have Sid and Iginla play together. Really, what a waste. Thanks Dan.
It's Bylsma's fault that Crosby took a puck to the jaw and was out until the playoffs started?

There was no time to attempt a chemistry experiment once the playoffs started. I could see the criticism if Crosby never got hurt, but he got hurt Iginla's first game. There was simply no time and no opportunity to play the two together until the playoffs.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

To be fair, Crosby and Iginla did play together before. Just not with Dupuis or Kunitz on the other side.
If that's true, that's kind of depressing. Guess he didn't want to battle Jokinen and Bennett for the 2nd line LW spot :lol:
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by BurghersAndDogsSports »

pcm wrote:It makes me so sad to see the opportunity wasted to have Sid and Iginla play together. Really, what a waste. Thanks Dan.

1. He didn't complain about playing LW because he thought it'd be no different... but now admits it was totally uncomfortable for him... which is what everyone but Dan could see from shift 1.

SId specifically said in the media that he wanted to play with Kunitz and Dupuis. Neal sucked on the LW since the Pens got him. Cooke and Morrow are our 3rd line wingers. Short of shifting all lines around, playing 3rd players on the 2nd and 2nd line players (Iginla) on the 3rd which you are using as your all defense line what was HCDB supposed to do? Teams even adjusted to Iginla on the PP because he doesnt carry the puck or move much - so they could float over and stop his one timer.

He should have never been traded for. Of course GMRS didnt know he would be that bad on the LW and hindsight is 20/20 but it was a bad trade and a bad fit.
I dont blame the coach. He had no place in the lineup and did not fit our style at all.

If he came to play with Sid he should have called him first. And this entire "he had chemistry with SId" thing is overblown. They played a handful of games 3 years ago and actually didnt exactly tear it up.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:

SId specifically said in the media that he wanted to play with Kunitz and Dupuis. Neal sucked on the LW since the Pens got him. Cooke and Morrow are our 3rd line wingers. Short of shifting all lines around, playing 3rd players on the 2nd and 2nd line players (Iginla) on the 3rd which you are using as your all defense line what was HCDB supposed to do? Teams even adjusted to Iginla on the PP because he doesnt carry the puck or move much - so they could float over and stop his one timer.

He should have never been traded for. Of course GMRS didnt know he would be that bad on the LW and hindsight is 20/20 but it was a bad trade and a bad fit.
I dont blame the coach. He had no place in the lineup and did not fit our style at all.

If he came to play with Sid he should have called him first. And this entire "he had chemistry with SId" thing is overblown. They played a handful of games 3 years ago and actually didnt exactly tear it up.
:thumb:

Iggy is also a lot slower these days than 2-3 years ago and just didn't fit within the Pens' system to begin with. Neal sucks without Malkin or playing anywhere but RW and hoping Iggy could be the LW simply was a failed experiment. It happens.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Iginla's play showed nothing to indicate that he should be taking anyone's position.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

Kunitz-Malkin-Neal was the best line in hockey 2 years ago. Dan had no problem breaking them up. Really it comes down to Sid wanting to play with 14 and 9, and Dan pandering to it. This to me sums up what's wrong with this team's leadership.

Iggy showed no chemistry with Malkin and Neal. A good coach would shuffle lines to get the most out of HIS WHOLE TEAM. Blysma was clueless when it came to getting the most out of Iginla (and Malkin and Neal). This past year was a missed opportunity.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis was even better this year. Kunitz almost matched his goal total from the year he played with Geno in half the time.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

MRandall25 wrote:Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis was even better this year. Kunitz almost matched his goal total from the year he played with Geno in half the time.
Yeah, Kunitz - Malkin Neal was the best line in hockey, but wasn't as good as Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis was before it or immediately after it.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

My point is, two really good lines (especially when one was the best line in the league) is better than 1 even better line and 1 abylsmal line.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Crankshaft »

The question to be answered is the slight if at all drop off of Kunitz' production worth the improved production of having Iginla at Crosby's RW.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

No, the question that needs to be answered is can Iginla still skate well enough to keep up with Crosby? Unless he is somehow faster on the RW than the LW, the answer is no.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Crankshaft »

Idoit40fans wrote:No, the question that needs to be answered is can Iginla still skate well enough to keep up with Crosby? Unless he is somehow faster on the RW than the LW, the answer is no.
He's not Iginla of 5-7 years ago but I but I disagree that he was so terrible that he wouldn't have been able to keep on on Crosby's line. I would be you will see 25+ goals out of Iginla this year in Boston, with him returning to the correct position.