Iginla to Boston

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
sniper
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Iginla to Boston

Post by sniper »

Iginla sucks. Does nothing 5 on 5. Anything over $2M is over payment. He will kill whatever line he is on because he does absolutely nothing. He is slow and soft. Waste of money. Good luck with this anchor Boston.
Orlando Penguin
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Orlando Penguin »

Knew we'd never re-sign him. Wish he had gone back out West. Wonder how all those people who rushed out to get their Iginla Penguins jerseys feel about him running off elsewhere.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

canaan wrote:I don't understand the circumvention remarks...isnt his cap hit 6mil no matter what?
Yes, but no.
Teams can exceed the cap by up to 7.5% due to Performance bonuses in contracts. The only players that are eligible to have Performance bonuses are:

1) Rookie players on their ELC

2) Age 35+ players who sign a one year contract

3) Vet players (400+ games) who spent at least 100 days on IR during their most recent season. Also must sign a one year contract.

Iginla could receive performance bonuses under clause (2), but he would have to only do a one year deal. Also, those Performance Bonuses aren't a free lunch. If a team finishes the season over the cap due to performance bonuses then that overage amount is deducted from their cap the next season. So generally it's not in the best interest of the team to actually exceed the cap if they know the performance bonuses are likely to be achieved.

If I'm understanding this right, and there's a very good chance that I'm not, Iggy takes a low salary with a big performance bonus for basically remaining healthy through October. Providing the Bruins are within 3.5m of the cap, the Bruins would go over but are allowed due to the 7.5% allowance written into the CBA. That money would come off in the following season. With Rask currently unsigned and with only 5.5m (rounding to the nearest half mil), there is a very real chance the bonus could come into play.

It's not the bonus that I have an issue with. The qualifier of 10 games to possibly defer money seems....I don't know.
Last edited by JS© on Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

sniper wrote:Iginla sucks. Does nothing 5 on 5. Anything over $2M is over payment. He will kill whatever line he is on because he does absolutely nothing. He is slow and soft. Waste of money. Good luck with this anchor Boston.
iginla can still be productive. He was a victim of poor coaching.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Re: Iginla. Just gives them a little bit of flexibility to get their ducks in a row. I have no problem with a little good-natured creativity. Also of note, Torrey Krug, Dougie Hamilton and, if applicable, Niklas Svedberg also have bonuses in their contracts. 7.5% counts towards ALL team bonuses, not per player or anything like that.

Honestly, once Savard goes on IR, this won't really be an issue. The likelihood of a significant chunk of these bonuses carrying over to next year is minimal - or so it seemed to me at a quick glance - I like it.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I don't regret being excited to see him as a Pen.
He's a legend.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

PhantomJB93 wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:Like having a crush on the cutest girl in school, realizing she wasn't all that great, and now seing her date some schmuck.
It took me until your post to realize this is EXACTLY how I feel over this whole thing.

I have the absolute worst feeling Boston will use him correctly, he'll put up 30+ goals again, and we'll look like complete fools. I hope I'm wrong.
I always got the sense that Iginla's smiles were totally fake. Like he (the pretty girl) was out on a date with the rich guy in the fancy car, who turns out to be a total pansy.

I think he knew he made a mistake choosing Pittsburgh, didn't play well because he wasn't super motivated, and will tear it up in Boston where he fits in perfectly. I too hope I'm wrong.
Easton
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Easton »

pcm wrote:
PhantomJB93 wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:Like having a crush on the cutest girl in school, realizing she wasn't all that great, and now seing her date some schmuck.
It took me until your post to realize this is EXACTLY how I feel over this whole thing.

I have the absolute worst feeling Boston will use him correctly, he'll put up 30+ goals again, and we'll look like complete fools. I hope I'm wrong.
I always got the sense that Iginla's smiles were totally fake. Like he (the pretty girl) was out on a date with the rich guy in the fancy car, who turns out to be a total pansy.

I think he knew he made a mistake choosing Pittsburgh, didn't play well because he wasn't super motivated, and will tear it up in Boston where he fits in perfectly. I too hope I'm wrong.
How are you not motivated in the playoffs? Even if you exclude the regular season, the Iginla I saw in the postseason was not someone who I want to pay $6 mil to. He looked slow, old and worn out. Not saying that can't be remedied with an off-season, but how much improvement are we really looking at here? He looked absolutely gassed out there.
sniper
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by sniper »

Easton wrote:
pcm wrote:
PhantomJB93 wrote:

How are you not motivated in the playoffs? Even if you exclude the regular season, the Iginla I saw in the postseason was not someone who I want to pay $6 mil to. He looked slow, old and worn out. Not saying that can't be remedied with an off-season, but how much improvement are we really looking at here? He looked absolutely gassed out there.
Yep the guy is done. Seriously, what we saw in the playoffs was his best effort. He looked like he didn't care most of the time. I know he was playing out of position, but that shouldn't take away his ability to hit people. He hit people like he was in practice and was hitting his teams injured super star. There was no desire there. No malice. No want. It shouldn't effect his skating. He skated like he had a ball and chain attached to him. He's got nothing left but a good shot. He can use it on the pp. 5 on 5 he drags his line down to the point that they don't have the puck in the offensive zone enough to get him a chance to use his shot. Matt Cooke is a better player. Pascal Dupuis is vastly superior. Boston overpaid for him. It won't take them long to find that out. They better hope he helps their crappy power play.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

I couldn't care less if it's Boston. I'm glad someone else took him. I didn't want him on top 2 lines and he just isn't a 3rd line player. He may be a little better for them then he was for us, but the guy honestly couldn't keep up with our style of play.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

Iginla is all about the $$$ Boston were the highest bidder. He's a mercenary. Nothing more/nothing less. (SARCASM/JOKE for those who did not understand it)
Last edited by Lesky on Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

I get the feeling that Iginla wasn't giving 100% in Calgary this past season. He kinda of let his conditioning go. When you're traded at the deadline, you can't suddenly go into the gym and get in shape, not at his age. He has an entire summer to work at it now. I don't expect the Iginla of 2001-5 but I think he'll be better than he was with the Pens.

I don't feel as used by him as I felt with Hossa, but I wish that trade had worked out better for us.

I'd love to hear Shero speaking frankly on any lessons he's learned now after the Hossa/Iginla trades.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Shakes »

Lesky wrote:Iginla is all about the $$$ Boston were the highest bidder. He's a mercenary. Nothing more/nothing less.
lol
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by MarioLives »

This to me stings a little. Like he chose the Bruins just to let the Pens know he made a mistake..... I don't like it one bit
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

MarioLives wrote:This to me stings a little. Like he chose the Bruins just to let the Pens know he made a mistake..... I don't like it one bit
Ask Hossa how that turned out...

BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by BurghersAndDogsSports »

Instead of blaming Iginla o HCDB we can also say we picked up a 15 year RW to play in a place (assuming Sid really wanted to keep Dupuis) he has never before.

Only solution was to play him way out of his role on the 3rd line, LW on the 2nd line or move Neal to a position he has sucked his entire pens career.

I'm not saying he is a good signing for Boston. Or he has much left in the tank but maybe it was simply a bad idea getting him.

With 2 fantastic centers who play both ends of the ice I have no issue with any of Boston's moves. Louie fills a need on a wing, Iggy is a one year deal. Cap issues cause tough decisions when guys like Horton get 7 year deals.
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by MarioLives »

Kovy27 wrote:
MarioLives wrote:This to me stings a little. Like he chose the Bruins just to let the Pens know he made a mistake..... I don't like it one bit

It will put the lotion in the basket or it will get the hose......
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Kaizer »

if i thought he could help them i'd care.
Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Tico Rick »

Lesky wrote:Iginla is all about the $$$ Boston were the highest bidder. He's a mercenary. Nothing more/nothing less. (SARCASM/JOKE for those who did not understand it)
If Iginla had done this throughout his entire career (like another player who comes to mind), I would indeed call him a mercenary.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:I'm not saying he is a good signing for Boston. Or he has much left in the tank but maybe it was simply a bad idea getting him.
BADS, I'm glad you said this. Hindsight is, of course 20/20; I was ecstatic to see him as a Pen, and I still am glad he was on our team even for 10 minutes. But, perhaps the whole thing was ill-conceived and/or hastily executed from the get go, especially if the Pens knew there was no room for him on the right side.
Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Tico Rick »

ExPatriatePen wrote:I get the feeling that Iginla wasn't giving 100% in Calgary this past season. He kinda of let his conditioning go. When you're traded at the deadline, you can't suddenly go into the gym and get in shape, not at his age. He has an entire summer to work at it now. I don't expect the Iginla of 2001-5 but I think he'll be better than he was with the Pens.

I don't feel as used by him as I felt with Hossa, but I wish that trade had worked out better for us.

I'd love to hear Shero speaking frankly on any lessons he's learned now after the Hossa/Iginla trades.
This post along with your previous post (Iginla=ex-girlfriend) sums up the Iginla situation perfectly.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Tico Rick wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:I get the feeling that Iginla wasn't giving 100% in Calgary this past season. He kinda of let his conditioning go. When you're traded at the deadline, you can't suddenly go into the gym and get in shape, not at his age. He has an entire summer to work at it now. I don't expect the Iginla of 2001-5 but I think he'll be better than he was with the Pens.

This post along with your previous post (Iginla=ex-girlfriend) sums up the Iginla situation perfectly.
:fist:

Funny how I get that clarity sometimes. Doesn't happen very often though. :)
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by MarioLives »

Lt. Dish wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:I'm not saying he is a good signing for Boston. Or he has much left in the tank but maybe it was simply a bad idea getting him.
BADS, I'm glad you said this. Hindsight is, of course 20/20; I was ecstatic to see him as a Pen, and I still am glad he was on our team even for 10 minutes. But, perhaps the whole thing was ill-conceived and/or hastily executed from the get go, especially if the Pens knew there was no room for him on the right side.
Agree with you 100%. Who would of ever thought it would have ended so badly. I wonder if this
Will impact other high profile players from picking the pens though come trade deadline? Since Iggy was used so badly?
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by BurghersAndDogsSports »

MarioLives wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:
Agree with you 100%. Who would of ever thought it would have ended so badly. I wonder if this
Will impact other high profile players from picking the pens though come trade deadline? Since Iggy was used so badly?
Yeah, I mean I just think we are analyzing this too much. He didn't fit in the line up or with our up tempo game. Yup hindsight is 20/20, so not blaming anyone for anything. It didn't work out, he may be a much better fit in Boston. No biggie. We can just move on as a mistake.
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Tomas »

Kovy27 wrote:
He couldn't really hear what you'd ask, because he's got his two Stanley Cup rings plugging his ears...