Around the League: Transactions

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Around the League: Transactions

Post by JS© »

Henry Hank wrote:
DudeMan2766 wrote:Its being reported that the Flyers have signed Vinny to a 5 year deal. 24 million dollar deal L-O-L
They just can't help themselves. What exactly is the point of buying out Briere if they're just going to replace him with another aging, fading player? Why the need to commit to him for five years? Don't they still need a goalie?
Correct. They only have Mason signed.

Pronger is on their roster and will eventually come off, but I thought they had to be under the cap before they could LTIR him.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

has 8th worst GAA in league last year. brings in lecavalier and streit. doesn't upgrade goaltending.

sounds good to me.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

My Flyers fan brother-in-law speculates that Ed Snider is forcing Holmgren to pick up these big name guys in order to win the Cup before he croaks.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

It's proven to be a great strategy so far.
Trip McNeely
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Trip McNeely »

Right now the Flyers are ~ 300 thousand over the cap with one goalie rostered currently. They do have 9 defensemen and 14 forwards under contract, but is just hilarious to see. I'm assuming they trade coburn. Is meszaros going to be LTIR'd?

Edit: That also includes Pronger's salary, so they have that space to work with
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

I'm kind of glad this happened, what a joke.

One of Schenn/Couts is likely gone...which I think puts them 1 step forward and 2 back...
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Beveridge »

I don't even understand how anyone will sign in Philly.

It would take either extreme over payment or a NTC. They dump everybody.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

Beveridge wrote:I don't even understand how anyone will sign in Philly.

It would take either extreme over payment or a NTC. They dump everybody.
And Holmgren gives out NTCs like they're Tic-Tacs.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:My Flyers fan brother-in-law speculates that Ed Snider is forcing Holmgren to pick up these big name guys in order to win the Cup before he croaks.
I read that on a flyers board.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

Is this a done deal?
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Crankshaft »

It would never happen, however, Luke Schenn would be a good fit on this team.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

The Flyers are always good for laughs. They buy out Briere and sign Lecavalier, who are pretty similar players in terms of age and expected production. They buy out Bryz and now Bryz is probably the best UFA goalie out there. I don't see how they think they've improved themselves. I hope they sign Tim Thomas.
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Not saying I'm at your mom's house, not saying I'm not.

Post by Chefpatrick871 »

Lol at the thought of Tubby Tim in orange. As if I needed another reason to hate that tool.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

How is that deal ($4.5 per) so laughable? He's getting less than a million more than Kunitz/Dupuis to run until he is the same age as those guys. I get that the Flyers are DUMB and make bad decisions, but this does not really seem like one of them. Lecavalier was very solid last year until his injury. He was playing hurt at the end of the year and still nearly finished at a point per game. I think this is a fine deal.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Kraftster wrote:How is that deal ($4.5 per) so laughable? He's getting less than a million more than Kunitz/Dupuis to run until he is the same age as those guys. I get that the Flyers are DUMB and make bad decisions, but this does not really seem like one of them. Lecavalier was very solid last year until his injury. He was playing hurt at the end of the year and still nearly finished at a point per game. I think this is a fine deal.
I've been trying to figure that out as well. He gave up AAV for term. The biggest issue with him is the number of games he will play, not declining production. Its longer than you'd like, but so are the Dupuis and Kunitz deals that were just dealt out.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Idoit40fans wrote:
Kraftster wrote:How is that deal ($4.5 per) so laughable? He's getting less than a million more than Kunitz/Dupuis to run until he is the same age as those guys. I get that the Flyers are DUMB and make bad decisions, but this does not really seem like one of them. Lecavalier was very solid last year until his injury. He was playing hurt at the end of the year and still nearly finished at a point per game. I think this is a fine deal.
I've been trying to figure that out as well. He gave up AAV for term. The biggest issue with him is the number of games he will play, not declining production. Its longer than you'd like, but so are the Dupuis and Kunitz deals that were just dealt out.
Exactly. And I agree with you that durability is the biggest concern. Although he's 33, he's got a ton of mileage on his body.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

He's been around for so long....I would have guessed 37.

hah
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Exact same concern as I have with Kunitz.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Yup. When VL4 is on, he's a handful. He's tough to stop, he gets the benefit of being behind 28 there, so he won't face tougher shutdown opposition. He'll likely have someone that can accommodate for him defensively when they move Sean Couturier to his left side. And to touch further on that, VL4 is a consummate professional and a great guy and a really good mentor. You think having him sit next to Sean Couturier in the locker room and just talk to him won't help Couturier become a much better player...guess again...

There's nothing wrong with this move at all for Philadelphia.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

THe only thing I hate about Vinny to Philadelphia is that it puts Vinny on Philadelphia. I don't know if I can call him my favorite player anymore. This is a serious coup.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by JoseCuervo »

Idoit40fans wrote:Exact same concern as I have with Kunitz.
Kunitz is old, but he was a late bloomer so he doesn't have near as many NHL years on his body as Vinny.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Dan Rosen ‏@drosennhl 37m
And the Flyers, who are currently over the cap, still have only Steve Mason in net. OK, I'm done now.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

JoseCuervo wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Exact same concern as I have with Kunitz.
Kunitz is old, but he was a late bloomer so he doesn't have near as many NHL years on his body as Vinny.
He's also a lot more reckless with his body than almost anyone in the league. Eventually his durability will run out hopefully we get a few more years before then.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

When I mocked Philly signing Lecavalier, it had nothing to do with him being a bad player. I made the case in the buyout thread that it didn't make sense to buy him out, since he was still producing at a pretty good rate and Tampa would probably need to spend $5 million/year on a free agent to replicate that production.

I just think the Flyers' problems last year were more related to their defense, but they've exchanged one mid-30s offensive player who contributes little defensively (Briere) for another in Lecavalier. They've brought in Streit, who honestly probably will help their powerplay, but who won't do anything to help in the defensive zone. And they don't have a starting goalie. So, in a vacuum, there's nothing laughable about signing Lecavalier; it just seems weird given what they should be prioritizing.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

largegarlic wrote:When I mocked Philly signing Lecavalier, it had nothing to do with him being a bad player. I made the case in the buyout thread that it didn't make sense to buy him out, since he was still producing at a pretty good rate and Tampa would probably need to spend $5 million/year on a free agent to replicate that production.

I just think the Flyers' problems last year were more related to their defense, but they've exchanged one mid-30s offensive player who contributes little defensively (Briere) for another in Lecavalier. They've brought in Streit, who honestly probably will help their powerplay, but who won't do anything to help in the defensive zone. And they don't have a starting goalie. So, in a vacuum, there's nothing laughable about signing Lecavalier; it just seems weird given what they should be prioritizing.
Oh, yeah, I totally agree with you there. I couldn't believe they were talking about trading Coburn for a forward. They're a mess. And as artfully mentioned above, Steve Mason is still their starting goaltender.