How many of you own a droid?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: How many of you own a droid?

Post by mac5155 »

the wicked child wrote:Got an update for my S3 from Verizon today. Didn't read the whole list of features, but now apparently I can run 2 apps side by side... One window on top, one on the bottom.

Kinda neat... Not sure how much I'll use it.
This would come in handy when watching youtube videos but you still want to do something else, like twitter/facebook... or when someone texts me when i'm playing candy crush.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Ben Klingston wrote:
sprtn55 wrote:
Ben Klingston wrote:Dumb question, but I am still nursing a ~3 yr, going on 4 yr, old Droid. Still functioning pretty well, though it's getting beat up. I've been month-to-month on my contract for over a year, and been eligible for my 'new every 2' renewal/credit towards a new phone. However, I'm still grandfathered on the unlimited data plan. Mind you, I don't use a lot of data - I can't take my cell phone to work with me, so I'm mainly just using it during the evenings and weekends for twitter, some browsing, email, texting. However, I'd rather not renew/get on a new contract and forced onto a limited data plan (there's a chance I may be allowed to take my cell phone in to work some day). Sooo, if I'm not looking for the most-brand-spanking new smartphone can I just buy a new-old phone off Ebay (marked as a Verizon phone) and take it in to a Verizon store to get activated, without actually renewing my contract? Again, this is probably a dumb question, but I've always just renewed for each new phone.
I was in the same situation as you about a year ago and yes, you can buy a phone outright and activate yourself to keep unlimited data and remain on the month-to-month. When looking for phones on eBay, make sure it has a clean ESN which means it can be activated on Verizon. Also, you can activate a phone on Verizon's website yourself so you shouldnt even have to go into the store.
Sweet thanks. What is an ESN, and how do I tell whether it has one/is clean? Is that something the eBay description or whatever will provide?
Electronic Serial Number. It ensures the phone isn't stolen essentially. eBay sellers should disclose this information with you up front.

Another option for you may be to look into the Galaxy Nexus phones by Google.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

After the big update from Verizon on my S3, my wifi and 4GLTE indicator are both "on" when I'm using wifi. Very annoying. Even though the wifi data indicators are blinking, so I know I'm not using mobile data, it is a bit disconcerting on a metered plan.

So I googled it and found a thread for the S4 that says to disable the Caller ID app that comes pre-installed on the Verizon Galaxy phones. It starts as a trial, and then they bill you $2.99 a month, so I wasn't using it anyway. That seemed to fix the issue.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Seems like my battery life got worse again. Yay.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

I love being able to swap batteries. I bought a 3 pack of batteries and 2 chargers on ebay, because the way I was using my phone I was eating up 2 full charges per day almost. It's horrible, but I don't notice it because I always have a fresh battery to pop in
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

I plan on picking up an extra battery sometime soon so I can actually use my phone on long trips without having to worry about losing the ability to use it for calls and such.
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Ben Klingston »

mac5155 wrote:
Ben Klingston wrote:
sprtn55 wrote:
Ben Klingston wrote:Dumb question, but I am still nursing a ~3 yr, going on 4 yr, old Droid. Still functioning pretty well, though it's getting beat up. I've been month-to-month on my contract for over a year, and been eligible for my 'new every 2' renewal/credit towards a new phone. However, I'm still grandfathered on the unlimited data plan. Mind you, I don't use a lot of data - I can't take my cell phone to work with me, so I'm mainly just using it during the evenings and weekends for twitter, some browsing, email, texting. However, I'd rather not renew/get on a new contract and forced onto a limited data plan (there's a chance I may be allowed to take my cell phone in to work some day). Sooo, if I'm not looking for the most-brand-spanking new smartphone can I just buy a new-old phone off Ebay (marked as a Verizon phone) and take it in to a Verizon store to get activated, without actually renewing my contract? Again, this is probably a dumb question, but I've always just renewed for each new phone.
I was in the same situation as you about a year ago and yes, you can buy a phone outright and activate yourself to keep unlimited data and remain on the month-to-month. When looking for phones on eBay, make sure it has a clean ESN which means it can be activated on Verizon. Also, you can activate a phone on Verizon's website yourself so you shouldnt even have to go into the store.
Sweet thanks. What is an ESN, and how do I tell whether it has one/is clean? Is that something the eBay description or whatever will provide?
Electronic Serial Number. It ensures the phone isn't stolen essentially. eBay sellers should disclose this information with you up front.

Another option for you may be to look into the Galaxy Nexus phones by Google.
Thanks, guys. On the Galaxy Nexus - what's special/different about those, vice just buying a Verizon phone off the net?
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

It's just a carrier free phone. You're going to pay a bit more, but if I remember correctly, it's unlocked, so it gives you more freedom to do things with it.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

Does anyone know how to unhide contacts on a droid Razr Maxx running JB 4.1.2? I deleted the wrong person from my contacts list and I got a messages saying that the information would only be hidden since they were linked to multiple accounts. Thanks
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Kovy27 wrote:
mac5155 wrote:I have an upgrade in October and my phone is acting all funky due to some mild water damage. Can't wait to upgrade. Maybe they will have a note3 out by then ?
My one friend has the Note 2, that thing is huge. Half the size of a kindle. Felt really weird to hold to your head to talk on.
I stepped up and bought the big dog, out the door for $217 which includes activation. Going from an iPhone4 to this is definitely different and it's gonna take some time to get used to the menu.

Rumor says the Note3 is supposed to be out in October, but I can't find anything online that says that. Only going off of what the salesman told me yesterday. Screensize on the S3 is supposed to be 5.9 inches, according to tech radar. http://www.techradar.com/us/news/phone- ... rs-1138556" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; However, they also reported at one time that the screen size was supposed to be 6.3 inches and was going to have an octocore(!!) processor.

6.3 inches: http://www.techradar.com/us/news/phone- ... or-1125558" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Octocore: http://www.techradar.com/us/news/phone- ... st-1148482" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(sorry, I'm too lazy to create embedded links this late in the day.)
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

They put more cores in to better battery life. Not a bad thing, but doesn't mean its going to be ridiculous fast either.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

One of my students (from Europe) bought an unlocked S3 with quadcore...and it smoked my dual core S3 for many tasks. Battery life was better, too.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Well no doubt it's going to be faster, yes. I'm just saying the main reason they do it is battery life.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

I spent most of this evening manually transferring my contacts. I could use the backup assistant, but it also allows me to figure out what contacts I can remove.

The worst part about this was that I found out that my home button on my old phone is now working. I mean I guess it's not the worst part since I had planned on upgrading anyways, but it seems like an odd coincidence that after the upgrade the button starts magically working again.Image
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

SwiftKey just informed me that I've saved 50,000 keystrokes. Not too shabby.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Is there anyway to create a shortcut of a file from quickoffice on the home screen?
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

the wicked child wrote:SwiftKey just informed me that I've saved 50,000 keystrokes. Not too shabby.
I'm up to a lousy 2,000, but I love the app. The stats are cool.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

89,023 but I don't believe it for a minute.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

538,251 saved here. Lol really?

Side note, why does it autocorrect the word "do" ALL THE DAMN TIME? It's either don't, so, does, download, etc. Wtf
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

I think I turned auto correct off. half the time I only have to type the first 2 letters of the word and I can just click it anyway.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

It's scary how well SK knows me now... I can usually get to Draai Laag, Franziskaner or Weihenstephaner within a couple letters. :scared:
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Post by Pitt87 »

Awesome... just starting with SK after getting a new device. its a little closer to stock but lets me control longpress duration... can't stand waiting for the dumb popup. 120ms.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

Does anyone have any experience with either the new Droid MAXX or Moto X? We're finally looking to ditch my EnV3 and the wife's flip phone for a couple of shiny, new smartphones. I'm thinking about the Droid Maxx for myself and a Moto X for the wife. Most reviews say they're both good phones, running a relatively plain android OS.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Okay, so the power button on my Galaxy S3 has gone into total seizure mode. Not jsut the button itself, but sometimes even touching the side/back of the phone around there triggers it. Well, except for when I WANT it to. I had to download an app to lock the damn screen since it was proving unreliable. However, this isn't going to fly for very long before I get mad and pull out a hammer.

So... question.. Can I buy any Verizon 4G LTE phone and slap the SIM card in? Seems like I should be able to, but I don't want to just go plop money down on a phone and find out after the fact that it doesn't work.

I'm not due for an upgrade for nearly a year and I have no plans on upgrading anyway since I'd have to sign a new deal and probably lose my unlimited data. So any info would be appreciated, thanks.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

My GSII is the same way, power button goes funky some times. I'm due for an upgrade in March, so trying to baby it until then.

I have a question regarding mail - does anyone have an alternative to mail? The stock mail app sucks. And Gmail app isn't much better. I've found when I send an email on the PC and try to read the reply on the phone, it doesn't work.