Car thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Car thread

Post by JS© »

meow wrote:Got our Lemieux Foundation plates today. I think I'm a little too excited.
I thought about getting one, but the old school DARE plate matches this car a little too well.

mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

JS© wrote:
meow wrote:Got our Lemieux Foundation plates today. I think I'm a little too excited.
I thought about getting one, but the old school DARE plate matches this car a little too well.

I thought they were done with the DARE plates?
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

I've had mine since about 2000.

Has anybody heard anything about the Subaru XV Crosstrek? I love my Audi, but at the same time the accident (seen above) still irritates me and I'm not 100% sure that whatever was fixed was done correctly. I have no evidence that says otherwise, but I'd be lying if I said I don't wonder about it on occasion.

I'd love to go back to a car with a stick, and I found one about an hour away.

Manual, similar options to what I have in my car right now, and rated at 33 on the highway (which is quite good for an all-wheel drive car and might actually be closer to 35.) The reviews are mostly positive, save for the one or two reviews wondering about the lack of power or why it doesn't have a WRX engine in it. 150 hp isn't bad and you're gonna have to trade power for fuel efficiency in most cases.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

The XV Crosstrek is basically just an Impreza with a minor suspension lift and some plastic body cladding; it’s to the Impreza what the Outback is to the Legacy. It has the exact same dimensions, engine, and interior. I’ve looked at both, and I think I’d just buy the Impreza hatch, which will cost a little less and be slightly lighter.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

One of the closer Jeep dealers found 2 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sports that they could bring in. Thing is, they're 30K and 32K. The dealership in VA had a very similar model for 25.5. That seemed very low, but I def. don't want to go over 30K. Any advice on how low I could try to get the local dealer to go?
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

I bought my car (2011 diesel jetta, and 36k miles) for 18750 last month. The sticker was 21,500. So, I knocked almost 15 percent off. I'd offer $25,500 and see what they say. Set yourself a limit and stick to it and you'll get the vehicle at that price eventually.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

Thanks for the advice, mac! That's what I was thinking too. I'm fortunate that I don't "need" to trade right now. My Kia's a 2010 and aside from needing new tires, it's a perfectly fine daily drive so I can take my time and, hopefully, find a good deal.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Shyster wrote:The XV Crosstrek is basically just an Impreza with a minor suspension lift and some plastic body cladding; it’s to the Impreza what the Outback is to the Legacy. It has the exact same dimensions, engine, and interior. I’ve looked at both, and I think I’d just buy the Impreza hatch, which will cost a little less and be slightly lighter.
there's no difference with the size? it looks slightly bigger than the impreza hatchback. I did notice that the limited (the better package of the two) does come with a moonroof or the touchscreen navigation but does not come in a manual. If I go the opposite direction and go with the manual, the number of options available is drastically reduced.

maybe this thing is a sign that I shouldn't be looking to car shop right now.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Hockeynut! wrote:Thanks for the advice, mac! That's what I was thinking too. I'm fortunate that I don't "need" to trade right now. My Kia's a 2010 and aside from needing new tires, it's a perfectly fine daily drive so I can take my time and, hopefully, find a good deal.
It's also a good idea to keep them in the dark about the trade til you decide on the price of the vehicle you want. Then negotiate a price for your trade separately. That's always been my plan. I feel best if I do that, who knows if it works or not.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

mac5155 wrote:
Hockeynut! wrote:Thanks for the advice, mac! That's what I was thinking too. I'm fortunate that I don't "need" to trade right now. My Kia's a 2010 and aside from needing new tires, it's a perfectly fine daily drive so I can take my time and, hopefully, find a good deal.
It's also a good idea to keep them in the dark about the trade til you decide on the price of the vehicle you want. Then negotiate a price for your trade separately. That's always been my plan. I feel best if I do that, who knows if it works or not.
That is, unless you're working multiple dealers (which I can't remember if Hockeynut is or not)
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Yep. My point is, you want the car for 25k, the dealer wants to get 26k. So he might accept your 25k offer, and just offer you 1k less for your trade. In the end, you are going to get screwed. Just be comfortable with the deal. You can't really "win" vs. a car dealer.. Lol
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

mac5155 wrote:
Definitely agree. Want separate deals so they can't use the trade in as part of their deal.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

add also: always negotiate on the price of the automobile, not the monthly payment.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Post by Godric »

went to the ford dealership the other day.... I came so close to pulling the trigger on the Focus ST.... being that I'm a student working 2 jobs, my resources will be spread real thin if I do get it
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

JS© wrote:there's no difference with the size? it looks slightly bigger than the impreza hatchback. I did notice that the limited (the better package of the two) does come with a moonroof or the touchscreen navigation but does not come in a manual. If I go the opposite direction and go with the manual, the number of options available is drastically reduced.
If you go to edmunds.com and compare interior dimensions, they are identical for the two cars. The XV looks bigger because Subaru tacked on body cladding to make it wider and then correspondingly widened the suspension. It also rides about four inches higher and comes with bigger standard wheels and tires. It’s the difference between, say, a stock Jeep Wrangler and a modified one where someone put on big fender flares, lifted the suspension, and then put on bigger/wider tires. Both vehicles still have the same interior dimensions and cargo capacity.

Cars where the manual is only offered for the lower trim levels is a big pet peeve of mine. Look, manuals are only like 10% of all cars sold, and automatics are so ubiquitous these days that you can find plenty of models that only offer autos. I don’t buy a car with a manual transmission because I’m looking to save a few bucks; I buy one because I prefer manual transmissions. I would actually be willing to pay a premium to get a manual with the nicer trim levels. But will many car companies let me? Noooo.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Here's why new car tech is four years out of date
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/ ... geNumber=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

columbia wrote:Here's why new car tech is four years out of date
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/ ... geNumber=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Because Mercedes did it 4 years ago? :lol:
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Shyster wrote:
JS© wrote:there's no difference with the size? it looks slightly bigger than the impreza hatchback. I did notice that the limited (the better package of the two) does come with a moonroof or the touchscreen navigation but does not come in a manual. If I go the opposite direction and go with the manual, the number of options available is drastically reduced.
If you go to edmunds.com and compare interior dimensions, they are identical for the two cars. The XV looks bigger because Subaru tacked on body cladding to make it wider and then correspondingly widened the suspension. It also rides about four inches higher and comes with bigger standard wheels and tires. It’s the difference between, say, a stock Jeep Wrangler and a modified one where someone put on big fender flares, lifted the suspension, and then put on bigger/wider tires. Both vehicles still have the same interior dimensions and cargo capacity.

Cars where the manual is only offered for the lower trim levels is a big pet peeve of mine. Look, manuals are only like 10% of all cars sold, and automatics are so ubiquitous these days that you can find plenty of models that only offer autos. I don’t buy a car with a manual transmission because I’m looking to save a few bucks; I buy one because I prefer manual transmissions. I would actually be willing to pay a premium to get a manual with the nicer trim levels. But will many car companies let me? Noooo.
Good info, thanks! :thumb:

I'm the same way with the manual vs automatic debate. Manuals are more fun to drive. I've had to settle for an automatic with the sport shift on my last two cars, which is technically a manual but just isn't the same. When I traded my Liberty in, the dealer was surprised to see it in a 5 speed, telling me "I didn't think they made these in a stick."
mac5155 wrote:any way to play hardball with the closer dealers?
What I learned is shop when you don't need to shop, if that makes any sense. It makes it easier to walk away from a bad offer from a dealer.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

I've actually known of at least 2 other manual libertys
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

Does anyone with a new-ish Jeep have a model with 3.21 gears? Everything I've been finding has the 3.21s and from what I've read on Wrangler forums, they lack power compared to 3.73s. I haven't found any 3.73s in a color I want though. Would I regret not getting the "better" gears? I'll mostly be using the Jeep as a daily driver but would love to hit some old logging roads occasionally. I won't be climbing any rock walls or anything like that.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

Hockeynut! wrote:Does anyone with a new-ish Jeep have a model with 3.21 gears? Everything I've been finding has the 3.21s and from what I've read on Wrangler forums, they lack power compared to 3.73s. I haven't found any 3.73s in a color I want though. Would I regret not getting the "better" gears? I'll mostly be using the Jeep as a daily driver but would love to hit some old logging roads occasionally. I won't be climbing any rock walls or anything like that.
If you aren't going to be doing any crazy off-roading and won't be needing to upgrade your gears to accommodate oversize tires, the 3.21 Dana 30 is fine. For reasonable, everyday street use, the Dana 44 is overkill. The steeper gear ratio would also be noticeably detrimental to your mileage if you do a lot of highway driving.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

I have 3.73 Dana 44 and its only because the dude before me that had it re-geared it that way. Wk is on-point. If you're not hauling cars or sliding on rocks, the 3.73 isn't necessary
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

Thanks for the info! I do a ton of highway driving so that's good to know. Will the 3.21s handle 33 inch tires? I don't know if I'll go with 33s eventually but I'd like the option. I love the more aggressive look of bigger tires and a slight lift (nothing too crazy, of course).
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

Hockeynut! wrote:Thanks for the info! I do a ton of highway driving so that's good to know. Will the 3.21s handle 33 inch tires? I don't know if I'll go with 33s eventually but I'd like the option. I love the more aggressive look of bigger tires and a slight lift (nothing too crazy, of course).
Same deal with the 33's as far as mileage being negatively affected (even more so than the 3.73's), not to mention the reduction you'll likely see in handling - but yeah, 3.21's should turn the 33's just fine.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

I've always wondered, can you talk dealers down from the price on a new car or is that just movie smoke and mirrors.