Car thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Car thread

Post by canaan »

this summer, im gonna chop the fenders using this tutorial and try to talk the commandant into letting me put a lift on (no more than 3") and also replace the corner break lights with clear or smoke.
Last edited by canaan on Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

you need a shackle kit on that now.. get 'er sittin a little higher.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

mac5155 wrote:you need a shackle kit on that now.. get 'er sittin a little higher.
im having a hard time choosing between a teraflex leveling kit or going with something a little meatier like a 2.5" budget boost. i dont know what im gonna do.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

i do know that i have to do something because if i get that on the trails, the tires are gonna rub like crazy.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Leveling kits work good on trucks cause the truck has a natural rake (leans lower in the front)... I'm not sure about jeeps though. A budget lift should be under $400 I'm guessing. I want to say I bought a complete kit (with add-a-leaf) for my old cherokee for $280.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

How difficult is plastidip for large parts?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

mac5155 wrote:How difficult is plastidip for large parts?
not difficult at all. like ridiculously easy. you just have to build low and slow. 4-5 dust/tack coats with 30-60 minutes in between each coat. its really hard to mess up.

as long as your surface is clean (water clean dry; mineral spirits clean dry; water again), you shouldnt have a problem at all. im gonna do my grille this weekend as a test.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

if you run a coat of the plastidip, just wipe it with your finger and let it dry. the awesome thing about the stuff is if it gets chipped, you can just spray touch up and it blends perfectly. my front bumper was already black so i did a tack coat on everything, hit the bolts a little heavier on the second coat and did just the bolts on the third. if you look at the bumper, there are fog lights on it. i sprayed a couple of heavy coats on the fog lights so i could get all in the insets and what not. i scored the light edges with a toothpick and it peeled right off of them.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

JS© wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Brought this up a while ago in JTOR I think:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/exo ... irst_look/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There's a black MP4 that I've seen on the parkway going towards the airport at least twice. I'm assuming it's the same one since they're not exactly a common car. I saw it again this past weekend, and it went from being beside me at 75 to gone in about 10 seconds.

/CSB
The MP4-12C is a pretty awesome machine
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

so you don't actually "dip" it. ha. weird...

my sister's BF is always telling me to plastidip stuff on my quad... this is usually followed up by her telling him "yes, and you would plastidip your toilet if you could"
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

mac5155 wrote:so you don't actually "dip" it. ha. weird...

my sister's BF is always telling me to plastidip stuff on my quad... this is usually followed up by her telling him "yes, and you would plastidip your toilet if you could"
it was originally sold as a gallon can that you could "dip" the handles of tools and what not, but the aerosol cans (~6$ ea at home depot) gives you a lot more flexibility. its great for wheels and rusty stuff.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

There was an episode of Mythbusters where they sprayed an entire car with bed liner. The myth was that it would make a car indestructible. It didn’t, but it certainly made the vehicle highly resistant to dents, dings, and scratches. I think a bed liner coating would be awesome for a Jeep.

Interestingly, they did find that a coating of bed liner can make surfaces highly resistant to explosions. In fact, they’ve used bed-liner-coated walls to contain explosions in later episodes.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Shyster wrote:There was an episode of Mythbusters where they sprayed an entire car with bed liner. The myth was that it would make a car indestructible. It didn’t, but it certainly made the vehicle highly resistant to dents, dings, and scratches. I think a bed liner coating would be awesome for a Jeep.

Interestingly, they did find that a coating of bed liner can make surfaces highly resistant to explosions. In fact, they’ve used bed-liner-coated walls to contain explosions in later episodes.
jeeps have a tendency to rust in the tub pretty easily. a lot of guys will remove everything from the inside tub and rhinoline, linex, herculiner, monstaliner their rigs. pretty awesome stuff.

link: http://forums.jpmagazine.com/70/8572086 ... tallation/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

http://www.audidrivingexperience.com/Default.aspx#home" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Happening this weekend in Summit Point, WV. If there's a chance for me to drive anything from the S series (S5 was mentioned on a few sites) or the R8 that is pictured on FB, I have no problems driving 4 hours for a few quick lap times.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

mac5155 wrote:Leveling kits work good on trucks cause the truck has a natural rake (leans lower in the front)... I'm not sure about jeeps though. A budget lift should be under $400 I'm guessing. I want to say I bought a complete kit (with add-a-leaf) for my old cherokee for $280.
Got a leveling kit off of a jeep forum for a relatively cheap price. 2" in the front, 1" in the back. cant wait to put it on.

never put one on before (this or a lift for that matter), but im sure ill figure it out.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

canaan wrote:
mac5155 wrote:Leveling kits work good on trucks cause the truck has a natural rake (leans lower in the front)... I'm not sure about jeeps though. A budget lift should be under $400 I'm guessing. I want to say I bought a complete kit (with add-a-leaf) for my old cherokee for $280.
Got a leveling kit off of a jeep forum for a relatively cheap price. 2" in the front, 1" in the back. cant wait to put it on.

never put one on before (this or a lift for that matter), but im sure ill figure it out.
not hard. all you really need is a jack, jack stands, and maybe an impact wrench.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

oh and beer. how could I forget beer.
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Location: Depends. I might be here, but I could be there. Hard to tell sometimes.

Post by OutofFoil »

Short and sweet, I'm moving to South Africa. Need to get rid of a 76 Porsche 911. Lots of fun and I'll miss it. PM me if interested. Not as expensive as you may think. Oh, the top comes off and summer is coming....
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

man, thats random as hell. good luck on your journey.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

OutofFoil wrote:Short and sweet, I'm moving to South Africa. Need to get rid of a 76 Porsche 911. Lots of fun and I'll miss it. PM me if interested. Not as expensive as you may think. Oh, the top comes off and summer is coming....
Get ready for a lot of Rodriguez if you're going to Cape Town.
Firebird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Firebird »

So i drew a 2013 F30 328i sedan loaner w/ 2000 miles on it while my 335i coupe is being worked on at the dealer for a few days.

What a difference. The interior seems cheaper (plasticy), I hate the engine cut off when you're stopped (thankfully you can turn this off). It seems more clunky (probably because it's got a higher clearance). The car is somewhat slower (it sounds much slower than it actually is).

The only good thing is you don't feel the potholes as much. I think it gets 32mpg...big difference from my 18-20mpg though, lol.

MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

335i gets 18-20? Wow. Our 335d gets 30-35. Didn't realize it was such a difference. Agree with you on the auto shutoff. Drove a loaner with one and it really seemed odd. Guess you'd get used to it though.
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Location: Depends. I might be here, but I could be there. Hard to tell sometimes.

Post by OutofFoil »

eddysnake wrote:
OutofFoil wrote:Short and sweet, I'm moving to South Africa. Need to get rid of a 76 Porsche 911. Lots of fun and I'll miss it. PM me if interested. Not as expensive as you may think. Oh, the top comes off and summer is coming....
Get ready for a lot of Rodriguez if you're going to Cape Town.
Johannesburg unfortunately.
Firebird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Firebird »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone familiar with this as an alternative to clay?
Gabe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Gabe »

JS© wrote:http://www.audidrivingexperience.com/Default.aspx#home

Happening this weekend in Summit Point, WV. If there's a chance for me to drive anything from the S series (S5 was mentioned on a few sites) or the R8 that is pictured on FB, I have no problems driving 4 hours for a few quick lap times.
Just signed up for the one down here in Jupiter, FL woo! thanks for the link