Fantasy Hockey Forum

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Fantasy Hockey Forum

Post by MRandall25 »

Speaking of, I want to pick up Bobrovsky for my one league. Lehtonen and Schneider are my 2 G's.

Do I drop one of them, or should I drop one of Jason Garrison or Justin Faulk?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

One-year league, I'm assuming? Otherwise, dropping Justin Faulk wouldn't be an option, right?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

mikey287 wrote:One-year league, I'm assuming? Otherwise, dropping Justin Faulk wouldn't be an option, right?
Oh yeah, just for the 48 games.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Personally, I'm a fan of having as much quality goaltending as I can get my hands on. So, I wouldn't advocate dropping either goalie. More freedom with matchups. You got an eastern guy and a western guy, so you can even play with the times too. I wouldn't scratch that...defensemen can be found at any point in the season...
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

My problem with dropping the d-man means I only have as many D man as I have slots to play, so if one gets hurt, but not long enough for IR, I waste a spot.

Problem also is, my forwards are guys who would get picked up off waivers the second I drop them (through 3 games or whatever, my worst forward is Bobby Ryan, followed by Matt Moulson). I dropped my previous worst guy (Baertschi, who was my last round pick) for Vlad Tarasenko, so it's not like I could've just dropped him.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

mikey287 wrote:I don't believe Bobrovsky will be in the league three years from now, personally. I've been told I'm out to lunch on that, but I just don't see it with him. Which Gibson do you have, John or Christopher? I like Varlamov a lot, but he's on an iffy team. I don't like Neuvirth at all. Luongo is about the best player in that deal...

How bad is your defense? Do Shatty and Kulikov offer major upgrades or...? I struggle to comprehend deals with too many moving parts, but my gut tells me not to do that. Try to trade Ben Bishop for something that helps you...his stock seems to be dropping at the moment...he's going to get traded fairly soon, so I guess maybe until you see where he ends up...
John Gibson.

My D is fairly solid but could be improved. Its always hard to have these conversations without giving league details. Its a H2H points league. Points are designed so that top F = top D = top G. Goaltending becomes the most productive position, though, as it almost always does.

Shatty was the 24th Dman last year, Kulikov 42nd -- obviously two guys that should only get better, especially in the case of Kulikov. So, they are certainly not minor additions, a #2 and #3/4 D (start 6). Just to give you an idea, Shattenkirk was 73rd overall among skaters.

Luongo, I guess I just don't really have patience for him this year. Like I siad, if Smith misses 2 weeks and I lose both weeks (and lets be honest, can my skaters really carry luongo and neuvy?) then I have a tough hill to climb (looking like a very close call this week, so that could be 0-3).

Some of my productive players are on the cusp of fading -- Zetterberg, Lecavalier, Marleau, Franzen -- so I'd like to be in a position to take a run at it this year, which is why I can't really afford to wait around on this crappy goaltending situation.

All that said, I think my proposal included too much, I'd probably leave Gio or Gibson out of the deal. I'm going to see what else is out there on Luongo.
opie22002
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by opie22002 »

Would you trade Giroux and Jeff Carter for Crosby and Ekman-Larson?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Yes.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Fire0nice228 »

I would too, esp if you could use the D help. I know Ekman-Larson had a decent season points wise last year but I think there is still more upside. I drafted him in 2 of 4 leagues this year
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

For those don't watch the West that often (and this season won't help that), OEL might be the best kept secret in the league from the Easterners...
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

mikey287 wrote:For those don't watch the West that often (and this season won't help that), OEL might be the best kept secret in the league from the Easterners...
The Coyotes are probably also thankful the East doesn't see them and they may still get top dollar for Yandle on his reputation. If the East GMs watch him play, they might barf. It's like watching the "progression" of Ryan Whitney all over again.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by npv708 »

I just got offered Steve Ott for Antti Niemi. Should I just reject it or should I reject it with gusto?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

OEL is awesome.

Reject with gusto.
Nuge
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Nuge »

Just got offered Marleau and Selanne for Stamkos and Simmonds. There's no way I'm giving up Stamkos as it's a 3 man keeper league. I'm thinking about counter-offering E. Staal for Marleau. Thoughts on that? I could use the postion flexibility of Marleau (C, LW) as I have 3 Cs (Stamkos, Lecavalier, Staal) and have trouble fitting them all into my lineup.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I've been on the OEL bandwagon since he joined the league. Finally paying off for me this year in fantasy.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Nuge wrote:Just got offered Marleau and Selanne for Stamkos and Simmonds. There's no way I'm giving up Stamkos as it's a 3 man keeper league. I'm thinking about counter-offering E. Staal for Marleau. Thoughts on that? I could use the postion flexibility of Marleau (C, LW) as I have 3 Cs (Stamkos, Lecavalier, Staal) and have trouble fitting them all into my lineup.
Staal for Marleau would be good. Stamkos is untouchable in a keeper league. They may not go for Staal for Marleau, because they are obviously trying to sell high, and that trade is a stretch even at that. When someone shops a deal like that to me, I want to just send a mass message out to the league to not accept a deal that involves x player because they aren't worth it.
opie22002
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by opie22002 »

I just traded Ryan Malone and Jakub Voracek for David Backes. Good deal?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Rather have Staal long term than Marleau, personally. Rather have Voracek long-term than Backes in a fantasy league, more upside with the former I feel.
opie22002
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by opie22002 »

mikey287 wrote:Rather have Staal long term than Marleau, personally. Rather have Voracek long-term than Backes in a fantasy league, more upside with the former I feel.
What about just for this season?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

That makes it closer I guess...your league probably rewards penalty minutes (something I've gotten away from because it doesn't make sense to me, never did) so Backes has an advantage there over the benevolent Voracek. I think the world of Voracek and have for quite some time, so I'll admit I'm biased and I'm not at all considering giving up Malone in the deal, I'm just thinking about Backes for Voracek straight. I guess for this season it won't be a problem because the Flyers lost all of the defenseman that transition the puck to Giroux, who in turn, gets it to Voracek...

It looks like it's finally corner-turning time for Patrik Berglund, so he might get some good linemates out of the deal while Backes is forced to focus his efforts defensively more...

It's close enough this season where I'm sitting here pushing each way, so that's usually good...but again, I'm not factoring in Malone either and what he could do...

Personally, I wouldn't have done it, but Malone and Voracek are two of my favorite players...so that's getting in the way to be honest...
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Mongoose87 »

Are there leagues that punish for PIMs?
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Never understood PIMs in fantasy hockey. I mean why not, but you could consider them a bad stat. Although it would reward someone for not starting anyone...or just starting goalies depending on their situation.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Fire0nice228 »

The fantasy league I run I dont count PIMS. A few people have chastised me for that, but in my opinion taking penalties hurts the team, so why would we reward that in fantasy hockey. I took out PIMS and put Blocks as a category. People hate blocks. lol.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Mongoose87 »

I just added blocks this year, and it seems like a bit of a tough nut to crack.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

I'm in a league with a PIMs category and the scoring is out of 12 different categories.

I'll never win PIMs, though, because I drafted guys who are completely game oriented and don't rack up PIMs like they're going out of style (My highest guy has 8. The highest in the league (of owned players) in 37).

I just don't understand the category whatsoever.

I understand having blocks, so defensemen have some semblance of value (this league uses defensemen points, which IMO doesn't really make a ton of sense. At least blocks do). Having blocks makes you think about picking d-men.