How many of you own a droid?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: How many of you own a droid?

Post by blackjack68 »

Ok, so here's my problem...dropped my 2-year old DROIDX. Now I have several black spots of bad pixels. Phone works fine and is still on unlimited data plan.

So, do I have someone replace the led screen on it or try and get one online for about $150. Would Verizon transfer all my data and activate my number on that new phone without changing my plan?
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

You should be able to swap SD cards to pull your data over. Not sure about the new contract, however.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

At this point, I don't think you can renew your contract w/o losing the unlimited data. No idea how they handle a new phone.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

Verizon doesn't use SIM cards. In the past when I've purchased a new phone, they've just transferred my numbers and photos.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

blackjack68 wrote:Verizon doesn't use SIM cards. In the past when I've purchased a new phone, they've just transferred my numbers and photos.
They transferred whatever was on my old SD card on my Ally to my Droid 4 (this was the McKnight Road location, they asked me if I wanted to).
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by knives of ice »

you realize that if you have a google account it syncs all of your contacts and it doesn't matter if you change devices your contacts will sync? as long as you have it set to sync contacts that is, and if you don't it can easily be turned on.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

blackjack68 wrote:Verizon doesn't use SIM cards. In the past when I've purchased a new phone, they've just transferred my numbers and photos.
Verizon does use sim cards now on their 4GLTE devices, at least the newer ones.

Also like Knives of Ice said, if you have a droid, just sync all your contacts to your google account, and then when you put your info in on your new phone it will all be there.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

skullman80 wrote:
Verizon does use sim cards now on their 4GLTE devices, at least the newer ones.

Also like Knives of Ice said, if you have a droid, just sync all your contacts to your google account, and then when you put your info in on your new phone it will all be there.
TIL two new things. Thanks.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Yeah, I was going to say I have a SIM card in my Galaxy S3.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

blackjack68 wrote:Ok, so here's my problem...dropped my 2-year old DROIDX. Now I have several black spots of bad pixels. Phone works fine and is still on unlimited data plan.

So, do I have someone replace the led screen on it or try and get one online for about $150. Would Verizon transfer all my data and activate my number on that new phone without changing my plan?
I had that phone and the exact same thing happened to me. The dots started out as several parallel lines, maybe 1-2 pixels high each, running the width of the screen. After about a month, they became solid black dots that obscured the top 1/3 of my screen. Thought I could power through it, but after about four months it just became too much of an annoyance. Wife and I upgraded to 4G LTE Galaxy S3s last weekend (8 gig data plan).

I don't think VZN will reactivate a new phone on an unlimited plan; their goal is to get everyone of their customers on the shared data 4G plans. Then again, if it's just a 3G phone, maybe they don't care?

Personally, I'd just upgrade to a new 4G phone. It's a little bit silly how fast the new device is, and when I speed test my 4G connection I get speeds that are better than anything other than fiber optic land lines, and the up/down rates are almost equal. (I tested my new S3 in the parking lot of the VZN store last weekend and got 23 down and 20 up. That's a little badonkers.)

I stream podcasts, iHeartRadio and Sirius/XM during my 2 hours of daily commuting, so that's about 40 hours a month of data usage. We averaged around 3.4 gigs a month over the last six months, about 98% of which was probably me. We went with the 8 gig shared data plan for 4G, and it is actually a tiny bit less than what we had been paying for 3G unlimited. I'm cool with that.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

Yep that's exactly what's happening.

I'll have to analyze usage vs. New plan. We just bought an ipad for us and the kids to share and I'm sure they will eat data like candy. Since I have unlimited, I can just use my phone as a hotspot and link the ipad to it when on the road and use wifi at home.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

We each have wi-fi only iPads, and I really can't think of a situation where we've been out and felt the need to use either in a location that did not offer wi-fi.

Linking a tablet to a shared mobile plan seems like a surefire way to end up maxing out our data every month. And the second you go over, you get dinged $15. Go 1 gig over, another $15. It snowballs quickly.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by bh »

Anyone get a windows phone yet? Played around with one at BJ's and was surprised at how much I liked it.

I need something new. I still have the original droid incredible and it is just crapping the bed daily. It just seems like there are so many options now. I have verizon right now but I don't know if i want to stick with them or not.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

I just bought myself a Nokia Lumia 920, bh. So far, I love the OS. Its not perfect (Facebook tends to auto jump to the top when you hit back from a selection you've made from the newsfeed. In terms of appearance, its gorgeous. The wireless charging plate comes with when you sign up with att
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Ever since the os update, my today widget doesn't automatically update to the current day... Annoying.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Post by Pitt87 »

blackjack68 wrote:Ok, so here's my problem...dropped my 2-year old DROIDX. Now I have several black spots of bad pixels. Phone works fine and is still on unlimited data plan.

Google does most of the transfer of contacts, etc, but no one will transfer your data. You should be able to get all the files off the device and Google will restore stuff like wifi pw's and apps, but you'd have to root and use something like Titanium Backup to get everything else, like cached application data (restoring profiles, cached app data, etc.). You'd also have to root the other device to restore it.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

The only real compelling reason for me to stick with an iPhone is not wanting to get into a platform hopping game. For example, Samsung is adding phones running the Tizen OS:
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/01/ ... eplace-it/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yeah, it's still Linux-based, but I'd prefer to deal with a hardware company that is focused in its product development.
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Loaf31 »

My RAZR MAXX has been becoming unresponsive at times, especially after periods of inactivity. Did the factory data reset, no help. Sometimes to get it to respond, I have to do the "battery pull".....

Any ideas?
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Loaf31 wrote:My RAZR MAXX has been becoming unresponsive at times, especially after periods of inactivity. Did the factory data reset, no help. Sometimes to get it to respond, I have to do the "battery pull".....

Any ideas?
My Droid X did that a lot, especially during the second year I owned it. I could never get it solved, but you may want to take it to Verizon and see if they can do anything.

Perhaps a rooting it and using a custom ROM might be the best fix.
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Loaf31 »

Yea this is my 2nd year for it, I took it in once and all they told me was to do the Data reset. I may take it in again this weekend
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

Can anyone recommend a good phone that would be a generation or two old? I'm sick pf paying Verizon $100 a month for a phone I use maybe 5 days out of the month so I'm going to switch to Straight Talk and their $45 a month plan. No desire to drop $600-$800 on a phone though.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Post by Pitt87 »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:
Loaf31 wrote:My RAZR MAXX has been becoming unresponsive at times, especially after periods of inactivity. Did the factory data reset, no help. Sometimes to get it to respond, I have to do the "battery pull".....

Any ideas?
My Droid X did that a lot, especially during the second year I owned it. I could never get it solved, but you may want to take it to Verizon and see if they can do anything.

I consistently find Android developers to be considerably more helpful than VZW reps. If your phone can be fixed, exploring custom rom options is a must but you'd have to go to VZW first.
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Loaf31 »

Pitt87 wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:

Any ideas?

I consistently find Android developers to be considerably more helpful than VZW reps. If your phone can be fixed, exploring custom rom options is a must but you'd have to go to VZW first.
Went to VZW and they are overnighting me a new MAXX
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Hmm... My Facebook app isn't loading any pictures for some reason. Wtf...
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Hockeynut! wrote:Can anyone recommend a good phone that would be a generation or two old? I'm sick pf paying Verizon $100 a month for a phone I use maybe 5 days out of the month so I'm going to switch to Straight Talk and their $45 a month plan. No desire to drop $600-$800 on a phone though.
The iphone4 would probably be a solid choice.