How many of you own a droid?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: How many of you own a droid?

Post by mac5155 »

It never did it with my iPhone though. Maybe its a HSPA 4G thing though. But I feel like (on ATT) that if I cant get 4G then I cant get anything. No 3G, no Edge.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

I've seen that network drop quite a few times on my galaxy s3... Though usually it only happens when I'm at my parents' house so I'll just connect to their wifi.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

Happens with my Droid4 as well.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

I think it may even be related to a power-saving feature on the phone to turn off the radio when not in use.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ulf »

go into settings -> wireless & networks, turn mobile network off, then back on. quicker than turning the whole thing on and off
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ulf »

my thunderbolt has been shutting off randomly lately. and the battery sucks, so when it comes back on it's practically dead. went into verizon 3 days ago, lady told me take the battery out and put it back in. didn't work. went in two days ago, factory reset, didn't work. went in yesterday, overnighted a new phone (but no battery)....didn't work, so obviously the battery is the problem. went straight in after i got home from work and tried to activate it, and they tried selling me an extended battery for half off. Guy was pretty cool and said he'll get his manager because he feels bad. Manager comes out and offers me the half off deal again. Mind you, I'm not looking for free stuff, or a new phone, just the same one, but one that works. Crazy huh? I turned down putting more money into this thing. I said I have an extended warranty and insurance. Apparently those don't apply to the battery, just the phone. Asked when my contract is up, he said November, and I said that is when I will be going to AT&T and left. Got nothing out of this and I don't have a working phone but it's unreal. A $300 phone, extended warranty, and insurance, and I can't get a working phone. Ugh.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

I've been debating a Windows 8 phone for a while but broke down and bought an HTC One S today - free until September 30th on Tmobile.

So far one word - frustrating. The phone doesnt have a menu button like my old Android phone did, so I am having a terrible time navigating it. Also the lack of a real keyboard (something I mentioned in the iphone thread being terrified of) is so difficult. I can't type to save my life.

I was interested to learn the sim card in my old phone was only a 2G sim - that I've been getting ripped off on speed for the last two+ years.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

ulf wrote:my thunderbolt has been shutting off randomly lately. and the battery sucks, so when it comes back on it's practically dead. went into verizon 3 days ago, lady told me take the battery out and put it back in. didn't work. went in two days ago, factory reset, didn't work. went in yesterday, overnighted a new phone (but no battery)....didn't work, so obviously the battery is the problem. went straight in after i got home from work and tried to activate it, and they tried selling me an extended battery for half off. Guy was pretty cool and said he'll get his manager because he feels bad. Manager comes out and offers me the half off deal again. Mind you, I'm not looking for free stuff, or a new phone, just the same one, but one that works. Crazy huh? I turned down putting more money into this thing. I said I have an extended warranty and insurance. Apparently those don't apply to the battery, just the phone. Asked when my contract is up, he said November, and I said that is when I will be going to AT&T and left. Got nothing out of this and I don't have a working phone but it's unreal. A $300 phone, extended warranty, and insurance, and I can't get a working phone. Ugh.
Pretty similar to Bumper to bumper warranty that doesn't cover brakes and tires. The phone is still good, just needs a new battery. If you like the phone, take the half price deal. Normal wear and tear.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ulf »

i hate the phone in a way that words can't describe, and i'm not giving verizon another cent to support this phone. i'll get by using it only with a charger around until my contracts up
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

My coworker that has a Thunderbolt has said equally bad things about it.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by knives of ice »

ulf wrote:i hate the phone in a way that words can't describe, and i'm not giving verizon another cent to support this phone. i'll get by using it only with a charger around until my contracts up

um, you know you can get a new battery on ebay for around $3 shipped.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

any of you guys have friends that use group texting and all own Iphones? how does your phone handle the group messaging?
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by knives of ice »

count2infinity wrote:any of you guys have friends that use group texting and all own Iphones? how does your phone handle the group messaging?

just don't use the stock messaging app. use go sms or handcent - so many more features.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Yup I use handcent and it handles them just fine. I get them as an MMS if a group message is sent from an iPhone but when I reply it doesnt automatically reply all.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

i use handcent... it groups the texts together, but it has to download them, move them, and they're usually way out of order, they take forever for me to get them and it sometimes freezes up the whole app.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Same thing happens with android messenger for me so I switched to hand cent.
IrishEyes
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by IrishEyes »

Bumping this thread. I need to get a new phone soon. Mine works okay, but I have T Mobile, which has crap service in the Johnstown area. Their plans are relatively cheap (90 bucks for 500 talk, unlimited text and data), which is why I went with them to begin with.

I have an HTC Wildfire S. It's only 3G capable (not that there's 3G in this area, anyway). I can upgrade to a HTC One X for $380 with another 2 years through T-mobile. Or I can pay the $200 early termination fee and get the same phone through AT&T (who has great service here) for 99.99. I guess my question is, how are AT&T's plans as far as price?
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

I dont know how much it's changed but we have unlimited text and unlimited data (which you couldnt get now I don't think) and 550 minutes on a family line w/ 2 4G LTE smartphones and we pay $150 a month.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by cheesesteakwithegg »

I just got a system update on my phone this morning (Droid Bionic), and it totally changed the phone to where it feels like I have a new one (for example, it is much faster than it was before).
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

cheesesteakwithegg wrote:I just got a system update on my phone this morning (Droid Bionic), and it totally changed the phone to where it feels like I have a new one (for example, it is much faster than it was before).
Same here.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Was it ICS? I've had some version of that for a month. So smooth
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

My USB charging port got some moisture and has crapped the bed. Damnit. Should I change the USB flex wire ribbon, or just continue to swap batteries with a battery only charger? I ordered 3 batteries and 2 chargers off ebay, so I can cycle through them, its just a pain.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ulf »

got the Galaxy S III, love this thing.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

ulf wrote:got the Galaxy S III, love this thing.
I hope you didn't pay more than 96 cents for it, as that's the black Friday price.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ulf »

i might throw up