How many of you own a droid?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: How many of you own a droid?

Post by the wicked child »

I bought SwiftKey when my trial expired. It is far superior to the stock kbs and the way it predicts what you're going to type is just sweet. One app that is worth every penny.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

at one point amazon had swiftkey for free. i snatched that up quick fast and in a hurry.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ulf »

Due for an upgrade in November. What's the next big Android phone?
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

My phone is very buggy since upgrading to ICS. Notably, the video player likes to freeze ALL THE TIME
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by CERV96 »

mac5155 wrote:My phone is very buggy since upgrading to ICS. Notably, the video player likes to freeze ALL THE TIME
Getting that as well. Anyone have jelly bean yet?
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

Picked up a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 over the weekend, really liking it. My first Android device - so if anyone has any app suggestions (especially tab apps) I'd love to hear them.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by knives of ice »

CERV96 wrote:
mac5155 wrote:My phone is very buggy since upgrading to ICS. Notably, the video player likes to freeze ALL THE TIME
Getting that as well. Anyone have jelly bean yet?
jellybean is awesome. probably the biggest step forward from one version of android to the next in quite some time. google now is awesome and the "project butter" stuff they cooked into it to make it faster and smoother is definitely noticeable.

root your phone and a load a custom rom running it, almost any newer phone should have it available if you root you can run Cyanogenmod 10
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

I think my Droid X2 is terminal. It has been laggy as all get out for a few months now, but now there are new developments: There are a series of black smudges and lines on the screen that look somewhat like dead pixels (not sure if the screen on this phone has 'pixels' per se); it randomly power cycles itself at least a couple times a day - over the weekend I had to remove the battery twice because it power cycled but wouldn't complete the boot up process and shut back down and became unresponsive; it's just eating through the battery (I can't get through a day of light data use - no talking - without dropping down in to the 30% battery life range); and wi-fi is all wonky, rarely connecting to my home network automatically anymore.

Spent the weekend with friends in Sonoma, and one of them had a Samsung Galaxy S III that seemed quite nice. Might have to put that on ye shopping list.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Just got a Samsung Galaxy S3. Its freakin' huge compared to my R2D2.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

It was a bit shocking... it is actually bigger than my X, albeit thinner.

I find myself missing some of the widgets I had on my X though... might be a difference in Motorola vs. Samsung.

For instance, on my X, there was a Messages widget where I could see previews of all messages except Gmail (work email, yahoo, texts, facebook)... on this one, they are separate. Email is technically in one widget, but it is fairly "dumb"... ie. it opens to the last inbox you had open, not the one with the new message necessarily. Yeah, there's a combined view, but I don't always have that open.

I liked that the Calendar widget would show not just events for today, but if there wasn't one, it would show the next upcoming event.

Are there any widgets available via the Play store or otherwise that are along these lines? Especially the messages thing... I hate not being able to preview emails now.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

The DROID X is eligible for upgrade in October and running into some similar issues as noted above. Power cycling, freezing up. It's like they program these things to die when you are getting close to upgrade time.
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Loaf31 »

I was having some issues with my MAXX since the ICS update, (GPS sluggish, keyboard slow, etc....) I did a factory restore and it is like a brand new phone, works like a charm.

Anybody use GoSMS? I did for a long time, but I wouldn't receive messages sometimes until hours after they were sent. I am actually using the stock text messaging app and I am really liking it so far
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ulf »

ulf wrote:Due for an upgrade in November. What's the next big Android phone?
Really having trouble finding an answer to this anywhere, besides the razr HD...anybody?
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

i doubt there will be anything spectacular soon. the S3 looks to be the bar-setter for the next 6-9 months.
scb147
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by scb147 »

I'm really hoping that the Galaxy Nexus 2 is coming soon... I'm due for an upgrade in December.
DropEmJayBird
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by DropEmJayBird »

S3 should be getting jelly bean here at the end of august.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

There will likely be another Nexus branded device for around the holidays. There will probably be plenty of new phones around then.

Motorola (now owned by Google) will also probably be putting something out. Maybe they will be making the next Nexus device.

HTC will issue something more powerful in the One series.

Also if youre looking for something new check out Nokia's line of Windows 8 phones when theyre unveiled in a few weeks.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ulf »

I just really want to get rid of my thunderbolt
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

my work bud has a thunderbolt and he says it sucks. doesnt send or receive all texts when it should, drops calls, etc.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ulf »

It was so hyped up too.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ulf »

Battery life is so so bad lol.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

Random question. I have the Razor Maxx and it just seems at random times it drops all coverage, no 4g, 3g or even 1x, nothing. it seems to happen a random times. And right after it happens it'll go right back to 4g. Does this happen to anyone else?
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

happens to me on my galaxy sII. its annoying. Take the battery out and hold the power button down for a few seconds. Does the trick for me for a week or so.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Oh, yeah...my Droid X has done that since it was activated. It will also show that I'm connected but the status bars for wifi or 3G and cell radio remain white instead of blue (connected). I usually cycle airplane mode to jolt it back to normal.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Oh, yeah...my Droid X has done that since it was activated. It will also show that I'm connected but the status bars for wifi or 3G and cell radio remain white instead of blue (connected). I usually cycle airplane mode to jolt it back to normal.
mac5155 wrote:happens to me on my galaxy sII. its annoying. Take the battery out and hold the power button down for a few seconds. Does the trick for me for a week or so.
Actually that almost sounds like a network problem more than a droid issue