Jerry Sandusky and Related Trials

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Post by thepittman »

shafnutz05 wrote:I mean, I agree that a multi-year death penalty would have been destructive. But I'm having a hard time believing a one-season ban from football would be worse than the long-term nature of the sanctions that were handed down.

Rather than ripping off the Band-Aid and getting the intense pain right off the bat, they are slowly tearing it off and dragging it out over 5-10 years.
Yep the bowl ban will make it so no one wants to join the team. I wouldn't be surprised if the current coach leaves.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

So why would they lose all those wins? It's not like they cheated football games
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

Malkamaniac wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:Are they giving the players free transfers to leave?
immediately, and two people de committed already
Well that is good at least.

But now that my favorite team is gone I can officially be consistent in hating all of the sport of football. I was already done with the NFL, and now I'm done with the NCAA.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by KennyTheKangaroo »

shafnutz05 wrote:
KennyTheKangaroo wrote:A quick look at wikipedia (a reliable source) indicates that the U lost like 31 scholarships over the span of a few years in the mid 90's. they were back winning national championships by the turn of the century.
Isn't this going to work out to like 70 scholarships over four seasons? And PSU doesn't exactly have the allure that the U has or had.
kenny the kangaroo interpreted it as 10 schollys a season over four seasons. so that would be 40. a lot more than the U got docked, but far from the death penalty. it remains to be seen if anyone is going to take advantage of the free transfer rule, but it would be surprising to see many defections based on the solidarity of the current year recruting class in the incoming freshman class. the argument of the allure of the U vs. psu is debatable but quite frankly that discussion is moot at this point.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

thepittman wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:I mean, I agree that a multi-year death penalty would have been destructive. But I'm having a hard time believing a one-season ban from football would be worse than the long-term nature of the sanctions that were handed down.

Rather than ripping off the Band-Aid and getting the intense pain right off the bat, they are slowly tearing it off and dragging it out over 5-10 years.
Yep the bowl ban will make it so no one wants to join the team. I wouldn't be surprised if the current coach leaves.
Not sure if this is recent but it's in the contract that if he leaves now he owes PSU 4 million.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Harsh sanctions. Wow.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Mr. Colby wrote:So why would they lose all those wins? It's not like they cheated football games
a very surprising penalty. i guess since joepa isnt around to get punished, they might as well punish his legacy?
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

Mr. Colby wrote:So why would they lose all those wins? It's not like they cheated football games
Not sure, doesn't make sense. Then again, I don't think it really matters either, more of a symbolic gesture with no symbolism.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

To rub Paterno's face in his own poopy mess. I really think that's the only reason for it. Paterno's legacy was already destroyed, but he was still the all-time winningest coach (IMO, deservedly). Taking away that mark leaves him with absolutely nothing.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:
a very surprising penalty. i guess since joepa isnt around to get punished, they might as well punish his legacy?
Well, it takes him off the top of the "most wins" list. Didn't really think of that.
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by King Sid the Great 87 »

shafnutz05 wrote:
King Sid the Great 87 wrote:So when does Penn state sue and "win easily"?
lolololol I made it perfectly clear that the one big caveat was "unless Penn State signs off on the punishment". But congratulations, your hindsight is 20/20.
Hindsight? Please. Many here, including myself said Penn State wouldn't risk further negative impacts of dragging out an appeal.

You've been wrong on every account here. Congratulations!
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

pfim wrote:Well, it takes him off the top of the "most wins" list. Didn't really think of that.
That's the only reason they did it.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

King Sid the Great 87 wrote:Hindsight? Please. Many here, including myself said Penn State wouldn't risk further negative impacts of dragging out an appeal.

You've been wrong on every account here. Congratulations!
What in the hell are you talking about? I made it perfectly clear that because Penn State was in penitent mode, there was a good chance Erickson would roll over and take what was coming. So what are you talking about with me being "wrong" here?

You should go work for ESPN's NCAA desk, because you are obviously far ahead of the curve. Do you have a Twitter feed I could follow?
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by thepittman »

Every ESPN update on my phone gets more depressing
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

viva la ben wrote:Penn State sanctions:
10 Scholarships lost
4 Bowl ban
60 million dollar fine
All wins from 1998 onward are vHacated
5 years of probation
y'all football bout to suck
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

pfim wrote:
KennyTheKangaroo wrote:
Well, it takes him off the top of the "most wins" list. Didn't really think of that.
Dropped him from 409 wins to 298. :shock:
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

Yeah, these sanctions are going to be a major hurdle for recruiting fo sho.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

So Miami gets a year long investigation by the NCAA for hookers and booster money but PSU gets 10 days with no due process. Nice.

Well at least the games between Pitt will be more competitive now....;)
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I just read somewhere that O'Brien doesn't have an out clause. No way this can be true.....right?
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

The attitude that Penn State itself is the victim makes me sick to my stomach.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

shafnutz05 wrote:I just read somewhere that O'Brien doesn't have an out clause. No way this can be true.....right?
Wow if true.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

DontToewsMeBro wrote:So Miami gets a year long investigation by the NCAA for hookers and booster money but PSU gets 10 days with no due process. Nice.

No due process? There was a 9 month investigation was there not? I mean you can only bury your head in the sand so much. The fact that some PSU fans(not you necessarily) are playing the victim card now makes me sick.
MelicharSux
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by MelicharSux »

shafnutz05 wrote:I just read somewhere that O'Brien doesn't have an out clause. No way this can be true.....right?
Pretty sure that's true.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

DontToewsMeBro wrote:So Miami gets a year long investigation by the NCAA for hookers and booster money but PSU gets 10 days with no due process. Nice.

you really think the NCAA has been debating this for only 10 days?
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by CERV96 »

viva la ben wrote:The attitude that Penn State itself is the victim makes me sick to my stomach.