Where my fellow cooks at???

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Post by tifosi77 »

I make no bones about the fact that The Ripper is my culinary man-crush; he is a beacon of decency in an otherwise bleak profession, never mind his talent.

So I was very excited when I read earlier this week that the New York Times had reviewed Le Bernardin once again, after its recent remodel and - to no one's real surprise - it was awarded four stars. Again. This marks a streak of 26 unbroken years with four stars from the Times, I think more than double the tenure of the previous high-timer.

Moving Ever Forward, Like a Fish
(review also linked in the story you provided, col)

The image behind the spoiler tag is from the linked review and it is my iPad wallpaper now. Ripert eschews modernist techniques for the most part, focusing on laser perfect execution of mostly traditional methods and a pitch-perfect sense of flavor and balance. But his plating aesthetic in recent years seems to be trading heavily on the bright colors and visual patterns found on the plates of the more avant garde cooks out there. It's a fascinating combination of tradition and modernity. Now, more than ever, I would love to dine at Le Bernardin...... and it's only $125 prix fixe for a four-course meal. To be honest, considering how much other world-class restaurants charge, that's a pretty absurdly low sum of money for food of this quality.
Spoiler:
Striped bass in a sofrito broth
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

I just want to spend a week with tifosi cooking dinner for me. That would be pretty sweet.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

As long as you don't ask me to make tofu, I'm in.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

I was planning on skipping dinner tonight, but all this food talk made me hungry.

We had some Kurobuta pork belly in the fridge (I made okonomiyaki last weekend, and bought extra belly for a later dinner). So I quickly marinated it in fish sauce, Thai red curry paste, rice vinegar and some sugar. Then chopped up some nira (garlic chives), some shish i to peppers, some scallion, quickly sauteed it all, made a pan sauce with the leftover marinade, and topped with beni shoga (pickled ginger).

Viola...... five minutes of prep, thirty minutes of marinade, 5-6 minutes cooking.

Kurobuta Toro with Shish i to, Nira, Scallions and Beni Shoga

Incidentally, the "shish i to" peppers should be one word. But that comes out as ****, which is apparently a bad word.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

tifosi77 wrote:This weekend's adventures included okonomiyaki on Saturday, but I didn't photograph it.
Did you do Osaka style or Hiroshima style? They seem to have a blood feud going over okonomiyaki that approaches the beans-versus-no-beans battle over chili.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I realize that there are restrictions on cod fishing, but I can't find it at any of my local groceries.
I want to fry some with a beer batter.....Any suggestions for an alternate fish?
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

columbia wrote:I realize that there are restrictions on cod fishing, but I can't find it at any of my local groceries.
I want to fry some with a beer batter.....Any suggestions for an alternate fish?
What about haddock?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

columbia wrote:I realize that there are restrictions on cod fishing, but I can't find it at any of my local groceries.
Haddock would be my choice.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

jimjom wrote:
What about haddock?
great minds and what not
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I'll look for that, though I haven't necessarily seen it.
It's always tuna, salmon, swordfish, tilapia, catfish and whiting that seems to be available.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

canaan wrote:
jimjom wrote:
What about haddock?
great minds and what not
Haddock FTW
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Thanks for the suggestions....I'm getting a Whole Foods about 5 minutes from my house next year and hoping that will improve my options.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Shyster wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:This weekend's adventures included okonomiyaki on Saturday, but I didn't photograph it.
Did you do Osaka style or Hiroshima style? They seem to have a blood feud going over okonomiyaki that approaches the beans-versus-no-beans battle over chili.
My wife lived in Osaka for three years, so most of what we eat when we go out for Japanese is Kansai cuisine. I had Hiroshima style okonomiyaki when I was in Tokyo, and I personally liked it, but I definitely prefer Osaka style. I'm lucky being in the SoCal area because we have some fantastic Japanese markets where you can actually get things like nagaimo yams, kombu and katsuobushi.

And chili with beans is stew - before Japan, the wife lived in Texas for five years. :wink:
I would recommend turbot over cod, generally, for this application. But if you can't even find cod at your local fish monger/market, I doubt you'll be able to find turbot.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Do you get tuna collars from your monger?
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

I've only ever gotten hamachi-kama (yellowtail/amberjack collar) at my local market. But I know of at least two markets in the L.A. area that would probably have tuna collars.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

On the menu tonight: NY Strip steak, sauteed mushrooms, roasted potatoes, spicy creamed kale (with bacon), and garlic bread.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I found a bag of spinach at the back of the fridge, that was just about to turn.
Solution?
Spoiler:
Sautee it in a touch of bacon grease and figure out something later for dinner.
I'm thinking spinach and black been enchiladas, using this:

count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

made moo goo gai pan tonight. I don't particularly like it, but my gf loves it. it was pretty good for my first try.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Fire Roasted Scallops with Mango & Black Bean Salsa and a Miso-Tarragon Brown Butter Sauce

The sauce was a cool idea (I heard Eric Ripert is doing a miso-brown butters sauce now, so I thought I'd try something along those lines), but it needed to feature more prominently on the final composition somehow; next time I'll either thicken it somewhat or perhaps go the other route and add some soy lecithin and make a foam out of it.

The garnish was the fried tarragon that was used to infuse the bubbling-hot butter.
stinky
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by stinky »

So fellow cooks, a question for ya. What temp do you personally cook your chicken at? I am of the thought that the current USDA recommendations of 160 - 165 are slightly too high. For years I have been cooking to low 150s and each and every time I feel 100% confident that it is safe to eat (no pink or raw meat texture)

I did notice that the USDA has recently lowered the pork temps, I am wondering if the chicken temps will be lowered (or should be, maybe I am the crazy one)
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

i just bought like 5 lbs of miscellaneous pork rib parts for like $4.08... guess i know what i'm eating for dinner this week...
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

I don't know why, but I have completely ignored this thread. I'm going to have to go through it from page 1 over the next week. Maybe there are some cool recipes here. My g/f likes to cook and also my parents live close by and they cook almost daily, so I generally eat a home cooked meal every day when I'm home. I wouldn't mind taking some cooking lessons. In fact, I even told her that one day I want to take some lessons together with her. I think it's cool if both people/parents know how to cook.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

stinky wrote:So fellow cooks, a question for ya. What temp do you personally cook your chicken at? I am of the thought that the current USDA recommendations of 160 - 165 are slightly too high. For years I have been cooking to low 150s and each and every time I feel 100% confident that it is safe to eat (no pink or raw meat texture)

I did notice that the USDA has recently lowered the pork temps, I am wondering if the chicken temps will be lowered (or should be, maybe I am the crazy one)
Always 165.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

i don't really ever go by temperature. I know i should, but I tend to have a good idea of when things are at the temp I want them. So what temp do I cook my chicken to? To when it's done.
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Ben Klingston »

Using a new local farm-produced food delivery service that delivers new produce weekly, but based on growing season (i.e. you don't choose what you get).

Got a bunch of collard greens, which I don't think I've ever had before, and I know how to use Google, but any particular favorites or recommended tips?