How many of you own a droid?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: How many of you own a droid?

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

eddysnake wrote:Did something happen to the market place. My icon is missing and I have no idea how to access it?
Google revamped the Marketplace (amongst several things) and it may now be called Google Play. No Market update on my phone yet, but my Google Music, Movies, and Books app updated.

Edit: There is a system update available for my Droid X. Downloading now.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

I do not see anything different on my G2 yet, but when I opened up my Logitech Revue on wednesday I saw the new icon. I got excited for a moment and thought it got the 3.2 update, which will make Plex usuable.

What is the best audio player now for Android? I run a upnp server on my network at home, and I can access it anywhere in the world. The default music player struggles a bit with it. I've tried Winamp, Mixing, and Doubletwist too, wasn't too happy with any of them.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

I've used the nswPlayer with some good results. I don't use it often though.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:
eddysnake wrote:Did something happen to the market place. My icon is missing and I have no idea how to access it?
Google revamped the Marketplace (amongst several things) and it may now be called Google Play. No Market update on my phone yet, but my Google Music, Movies, and Books app updated.

Downloading as well. I think I accidentally canceled the update for "google play" not knowing what it was. Now I don't have either icons and can't access appcenter....
scb147
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by scb147 »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Edit: There is a system update available for my Droid X. Downloading now.
That is just a system update to 4.5.621. Incorporates a few bug and security fixes from the Android 2.3.6 release.

The system update is separate from the Google Play updates.
Last edited by scb147 on Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

eddysnake wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:

Downloading as well. I think I accidentally canceled the update for "google play" not knowing what it was. Now I don't have either icons and can't access appcenter....
Hmmm. That's not good.

Here's what's going on with the update: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Motorola ... st_id26996" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like this might be the last update for the X. I only got the Verizon update, no Android OS update...yet. My phone is still on 2.3.4.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

My market updated to Google Play last night. Hadnt checked for a system update... Figured Verizon had stopped releasing them for the X.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Well I just got a Galaxy SII Skyrocket from ATT.

uh wow, this is a bit different from my iPhone. But I'm looking forward to learning how to use it. Any tips?
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

Activated my Droid Razr Maxx last night. Seems really good so far, still trying to get it set up though.

Edit: Just restarted my netflix subscription. Thank goodness i have the unlimited data
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

My phone started only syncing with Facebook on an extremely infrequent basis. It wouldn't be as annoying if I didn't have to thumb through pointless update after pointless update... all of which I saw yesterday.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Isn't it annoying having all your facebook friends in your contacts list?? A problem I've noticed w/ my Facebook: I'll just grab my phone, turn on screen etc, then click on Facebook, and it always takes 3-4 tries to find a network. I get "No Internet Connection Detected" and have to refresh 3-4 times. Mildly annoying.

Also, I was streaming iHeart yesterday while playing golf and when the display times out, the radio quit streaming, almost like the data just shut off. Do they turn your 4G off while "idling" ?
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

mac5155 wrote:Isn't it annoying having all your facebook friends in your contacts list?? A problem I've noticed w/ my Facebook: I'll just grab my phone, turn on screen etc, then click on Facebook, and it always takes 3-4 tries to find a network. I get "No Internet Connection Detected" and have to refresh 3-4 times. Mildly annoying.

Also, I was streaming iHeart yesterday while playing golf and when the display times out, the radio quit streaming, almost like the data just shut off. Do they turn your 4G off while "idling" ?
It was nice not having to import all of my contacts from my old non-smartphone when I got my Droid X. Also, it puts a lot of the names in the internal spellcheck/dictionary (I think).

I noticed that Google Music stopped running after about 20 minutes, after my phone's "Battery Saver" settings kicked on (i.e., it shuts wifi down). There may be a way to override that however.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

I had JuiceDefender running in the background, perhaps that was screwing with it. I don't think I care for that app. too many alerts. My solution was to just change my screen timeout time up to 10 min, which in turn just annihilated my battery.. but I did get to hear the Pens lose.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

I usually use the Pens' app to listen to games. It doesn't seem to have timeout issues, IIRC.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

I'll try that. Thanks for the tip!

Are there any useful things I can do to "customize" the phone? I feel like the whole Apple V Android is Android is wide open with what you can do and Apple, you're stuck unless you jailbreak.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

To be honest, I've left my phone the stock Android/Verizon default...just out of sheer ignorance. There must be some way to customize the phone somewhat, but you are relatively locked down because of Verizon.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

I have ATT :pop:
em1330
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by em1330 »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:To be honest, I've left my phone the stock Android/Verizon default...just out of sheer ignorance. There must be some way to customize the phone somewhat, but you are relatively locked down because of Verizon.
Not sure what you mean by locked down? I have the X for Verizon for a little over a year now and mine is fully customized. No "jail-break" or whatever either. Download Launcher Pro and Beautiful Widgets and you're set! Also downloaded the Pens background from their site. I have done a lot of other tweeks but those 3 make the phone look completely different from the "out of the box" look.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

em1330 wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:To be honest, I've left my phone the stock Android/Verizon default...just out of sheer ignorance. There must be some way to customize the phone somewhat, but you are relatively locked down because of Verizon.
Not sure what you mean by locked down? I have the X for Verizon for a little over a year now and mine is fully customized. No "jail-break" or whatever either. Download Launcher Pro and Beautiful Widgets and you're set! Also downloaded the Pens background from their site. I have done a lot of other tweeks but those 3 make the phone look completely different from the "out of the box" look.
I didn't know about any of those. I just never really messed around with it, other than changing the wallpaper and adding some widgets. :D

What I meant by "locked down" is some of the bloatware that is stuck on my phone that I can't get rid of - Madden, Blockbuster, various Verizon "apps" that are infinitely worse than their Android couterparts (like VZ Navigator - why have a mediocre map/nav app that requires you to pay when Google Nav/Maps are free and work really well?)
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by knives of ice »

rooting an android phone in almost every case is so insanely easy and there are so many benefits i have no idea why everyone doesn't do it.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

knives of ice wrote:rooting an android phone in almost every case is so insanely easy and there are so many benefits i have no idea why everyone doesn't do it.
what do you really gain from it?

i am relatively computer savy, I've had the developer preview of Windows 8 and a flavor of Linux called Joli OS on my netbook for a while. But thats a toy. I use my phone all the time. I don't want to have to deal with unexpected problems because I put an unofficial android update on my phone.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

em1330 wrote:
What does Launcher pro do?? I'm reading it and don't really understand it.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by knives of ice »

pittsoccer33 wrote:
knives of ice wrote:rooting an android phone in almost every case is so insanely easy and there are so many benefits i have no idea why everyone doesn't do it.
what do you really gain from it?

i am relatively computer savy, I've had the developer preview of Windows 8 and a flavor of Linux called Joli OS on my netbook for a while. But thats a toy. I use my phone all the time. I don't want to have to deal with unexpected problems because I put an unofficial android update on my phone.
whats to gain? well whats to lose? nothing. when you root your phone you can instantly backup your current android stock rom if you ever want to go back to it and your phone will be exactly like it was when you backed it up using a program called rom manager, which is pretty much standard for switching roms. custom roms are light years ahead of what is loaded on your phone in most cases. custom kernals to make your phone quicker via overclocking it and the battery lasting way longer in many cases. complete customization changing any and all icons you would want. easy unlimited tethering. loading the next version of android months and months before the provider comes around with an update. running stock android without the BS themes like sense, motoblur, etc that each phone manufacturer seems to use. truely running android as google intended it to run without the phone manufacture screwing it up. getting rid of any software you don't want. if there are bugs and problems with your phone that the manufactuer or provider aren't fixing 9 times out of 10 the custom rom community will come up with a fix.

youtube cyanogenmod 9 or miui to see some of the most popular versions of android that are usually available to load on most phones and tablets.

there really is no reason to not do it and its usually really easy if you just read on a forum like xda developers.

some of the cool things or problems fixed on android phones i've had through rooting:

hdmi output of any and all screens and bluetooth connectivity of a mouse and keyboard essentially turning the phone into a mini computer, running emulators for all the old nes systems and connecting a wiimote to the phone via bluetooth to control things, having ice creem sandwich working perfectly on my phone for months now and its not offially availble yet, loading a custom prl file to enable 3g roaming in areas its not available, tethering any device i want to my phone while not having a tethering plan, getting about 4 hours extra battery life compared to the stock rom.....just to name a few.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

I'm sure your carrier would be thrilled to hear that lol
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

anyone own a Droid Bionic?

http://1saleaday.com/?CID=168142&AFID=178621" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;