How many of you own a droid?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: How many of you own a droid?

Post by JeffDFD »

the wicked child wrote:My battery has been draining like a mofo over the last couple days... haven't really been doing a whole lot, so not sure wtf is up with that.
One thing that works great with my Bionic is the task manager that comes with the phone. It has an auto end list that auto shuts down anything on the list after the phone has been locked for 2 mins. I put most of my apps that I do not use regularly or want to make sure shut down as soon as I use them (I wouldn't put things that get used often on there). Helps save battery even when you are not thinking about it.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I use the juice defender... works really well for me. i did have a task killer, but it didn't seem to do much for battery life. juice defender works quite well. the only bad thing is i have to turn it off to listen to pandora as it rotates in and out of 3g to save on battery. but i don't listen to pandora on my phone very often.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Task managers can be a double-edged sword. If they kill tasks that are just going to restart anyway, it isn't really saving anything. I generally run them only if the phone gets sluggish or such.

It probably doesn't help that Verizon hasn't released an update for the X in quite some time, as those usually seem to clean thing up and make the phone run better.

The strange thing with the battery drain yesterday was that I didn't use the phone too much at all. I did leave the wireless on all day, so maybe that did it. I generally don't have issues with the battery draining like that unless I am heavily using apps.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by JeffDFD »

FYI, for droid, I was reading about using task killers and how it may actually hurt, depending on how you use it.

Apparantly, droid will load programs you use most often into memory so they are there instantly. If you are constantly killing apps it may constantly be loading new ones to fill memory and you will hurt the performance. Don't know how true it is, but I leave my most popular apps running and do not task kill them
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

JeffDFD wrote:FYI, for droid, I was reading about using task killers and how it may actually hurt, depending on how you use it.

Apparantly, droid will load programs you use most often into memory so they are there instantly. If you are constantly killing apps it may constantly be loading new ones to fill memory and you will hurt the performance. Don't know how true it is, but I leave my most popular apps running and do not task kill them
Yeah, I read a lot of those articles not too long after I got my droid and thus have limited my TK use to when the performance gets shoddy... it has served me well.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by JeffDFD »

the wicked child wrote:
JeffDFD wrote:FYI, for droid, I was reading about using task killers and how it may actually hurt, depending on how you use it.

Yeah, I read a lot of those articles not too long after I got my droid and thus have limited my TK use to when the performance gets shoddy... it has served me well.
Like I was saying earlier, I use the auto end list for apps I dont want running (crap preloaded on the phone), or that I dont use much and have a tendency to run all day (groupon).
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Loaf31 »

I finally made it into VZW today. Told them about the restarting issue and the battery issues, they are sending a replacement overnight by Fed Ex. WOnder if they still make the X or if they will send a Droid X2?
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by CERV96 »

I have a droid X and just downloaded google voice. Is there a reason why I can not make any outgoing calls using it?

Im trying to save on call minutes because a friend of mine has another provider and has unlimited calling.

Help a brother out?
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

CERV96 wrote:I have a droid X and just downloaded google voice. Is there a reason why I can not make any outgoing calls using it?

Im trying to save on call minutes because a friend of mine has another provider and has unlimited calling.

Help a brother out?
Interesting, I've used it to make text messages on my X, but never calls. I just tried to make one, and it just used my regular cell phone #. I will explore further.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by CERV96 »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:
CERV96 wrote:I have a droid X and just downloaded google voice. Is there a reason why I can not make any outgoing calls using it?

Help a brother out?
Interesting, I've used it to make text messages on my X, but never calls. I just tried to make one, and it just used my regular cell phone #. I will explore further.

Thank you
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

CERV96 wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:

Help a brother out?

Thank you
It didn't seem to work when I set it to "make all calls using GV." It did work when I set to "Ask me before using GV." Also, it didn't work when I dialed a local number without the area code. I tried the same number with the area code and without, and only the full phone number used GV. Odd.
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Loaf31 »

Anyone know how long the Droid RAZR and RAZR MAXX will be BOGO? I know it started yesterday, just wondering how long it will last
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by CERV96 »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:
CERV96 wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:

Help a brother out?

Thank you
It didn't seem to work when I set it to "make all calls using GV." It did work when I set to "Ask me before using GV." Also, it didn't work when I dialed a local number without the area code. I tried the same number with the area code and without, and only the full phone number used GV. Odd.

Thanks for trying. I just bought a droid Razr Maxx I should be getting it in the mail tomorrow. Maybe it will work on there. If it doesnt oh well. I hear the battery on the maxx lasts like 20-24 hours. I can't wait!
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Yeah, my phone is having issues like lag, keyboard not working, random reboots, and so on. It's probably not the best test platform. :lol:
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by CERV96 »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Yeah, my phone is having issues like lag, keyboard not working, random reboots, and so on. It's probably not the best test platform. :lol:

Mine just about does all of that. I have gotten good use out of it in the past 2 years though. Gotta love getting that re-new price every 2 years.
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Loaf31 »

I am due for an upgrade now, but my wife's phone isn't due until April. It sucks that I can't do the BOGO offer now, but hopefully they will do another deal in April
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

I sacrificed my March upgrade so my wife could get a $70 iPhone4. :face: Pretty good deal though, none of the Android phones came close to that price (at least what they had out on the floor)

I have to wait until May to upgrade... #firstworldproblems
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by knives of ice »

Recently got the transformer prime tablet running ice cream sandwich. Awesome device so so much better than the ipad in my opinion but that basically comes down to if you like android better. The keyboard dock you can get for it rules
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

knives of ice wrote:Recently got the transformer prime tablet running ice cream sandwich. Awesome device so so much better than the ipad in my opinion but that basically comes down to if you like android better. The keyboard dock you can get for it rules
Google finally released Chrome for Android - only on Ice Cream sandwich though. Check it out and review it for me. ;)
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by CERV96 »

Just got my maxx yesterday and can't keep my hands off of it. Battery life is unreal.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

CERV96 wrote:Just got my maxx yesterday and can't keep my hands off of it. Battery life is unreal.
I'm waiting for 2 things before I get it, income tax check and hoping it comes out in white.
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Loaf31 »

Anyone know if VZW can change a phone number from one phone to another?

My wife and I want to take advantage of the MAXX BOGO offer, but my phone is only due for an upgrade. We were going to add a line to get the free phone and switch the new phone number with my wife's so that she will get the free MAXX and her old phone gets the new number....
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

Loaf31 wrote:Anyone know if VZW can change a phone number from one phone to another?

My wife and I want to take advantage of the MAXX BOGO offer, but my phone is only due for an upgrade. We were going to add a line to get the free phone and switch the new phone number with my wife's so that she will get the free MAXX and her old phone gets the new number....
99% sure they can do that for you.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

do not cancel the current phone service. if you do that they cannot transfer the number. both services have to be active to transfer a number. cancel the old one once youve done it.
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Loaf31 »

We are actually thinking of keeping it active as a kind of "home phone" with the basic features until I can cancel without penalty in July