How many of you own a droid?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: How many of you own a droid?

Post by Malkamaniac »

eddysnake wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:For the people that use SwiftKey. It's out of beta, and the Beta stops working on the 20th. However, they have it on sale today for $1.99. Just picked it up.
is it safe to use the phone for payments or can you buy it online? whats the story
I buy from the phone/online. Haven't had a problem, and it's all secure.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Malkamaniac wrote:
eddysnake wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:For the people that use SwiftKey. It's out of beta, and the Beta stops working on the 20th. However, they have it on sale today for $1.99. Just picked it up.
is it safe to use the phone for payments or can you buy it online? whats the story
I buy from the phone/online. Haven't had a problem, and it's all secure.
I got nervous and did it online anyway. thanks for the heads up
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

can you uninstall the beta now?
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

eddysnake wrote:can you uninstall the beta now?
Sure.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Thanks for the heads up. I'm not big on buying apps like this usually, but I love this thing. It came in super handy with warz... I'd type a number and it would suggest names that I had used with it... and my favorite was when it learned Writeup coming. Awwww yeah.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

SwiftKey X is the free app of the day on Amazon for anyone who hasn't picked it up or didn't want to pay for it.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

the wicked child wrote:SwiftKey X is the free app of the day on Amazon for anyone who hasn't picked it up or didn't want to pay for it.
nice! thanks for the heads up.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

My incredible 2 started fritzing out this past weekend. After a few freezes and restarts it seemed to be back to normal. Now none of the sounds work (text notifications, alarm, ringer, ect) and when I make an outgoing call it automatically starts out with speaker phone on. Anyone know whats up? I dont know enough about the phone to even begin to think what to do to fix it
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

not so incredible any more is it? :face: i had to...
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

count2infinity wrote:not so incredible any more is it? :face: i had to...
Thanks for the help :pop:

But it was better than most of the time when people ask me what kind of phone it is, then say "Oh, like me!" :face:
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ulf »

Get google music.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pens2005 »

Not sure if this has been brought up, but has anyone had issues with Google Search on a droid? Every time I open it up it freezes after 5 seconds and then I have to do a force close with it.

So annoying.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Holy shnikes the market was completely redesigned.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

pens2005 wrote:Not sure if this has been brought up, but has anyone had issues with Google Search on a droid? Every time I open it up it freezes after 5 seconds and then I have to do a force close with it.

So annoying.
Before the most recent update, this was a huge problem. Not after Gingerbread.

I'm having intermittent charging issues with my X. I'm not sure if it's the phone or the cables. The wall plug/cable that it came with has a little bit of play in it, so it will wiggle up and down when plugged in. Same for the car charger and the spare USB cable I use at work.

I use the wall plug more than the other two, so it might be a wear issue. Sometimes I can plug it right in and it charges fine, other times I have to wiggle it (just a little bit) to get it to charge. Last night, I plugged it in and it started charging right away. At some point last night, it stopped charging at about 80%. Car charger worked fine, and it's happily charging at my desk here at work without issue.

I'll probably try to clean the USB port first - what should I use there? Compressed air? The case I have leaves the USB and HDMI port unprotected, so there is a fair amount of dust and grit (most likely) in those ports.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pens2005 »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:
pens2005 wrote:Not sure if this has been brought up, but has anyone had issues with Google Search on a droid? Every time I open it up it freezes after 5 seconds and then I have to do a force close with it.

So annoying.
Before the most recent update, this was a huge problem. Not after Gingerbread.

I'm having intermittent charging issues with my X. I'm not sure if it's the phone or the cables. The wall plug/cable that it came with has a little bit of play in it, so it will wiggle up and down when plugged in. Same for the car charger and the spare USB cable I use at work.

I use the wall plug more than the other two, so it might be a wear issue. Sometimes I can plug it right in and it charges fine, other times I have to wiggle it (just a little bit) to get it to charge. Last night, I plugged it in and it started charging right away. At some point last night, it stopped charging at about 80%. Car charger worked fine, and it's happily charging at my desk here at work without issue.

I'll probably try to clean the USB port first - what should I use there? Compressed air? The case I have leaves the USB and HDMI port unprotected, so there is a fair amount of dust and grit (most likely) in those ports.
Thanks for the reply. I did a factory reset on my phone because of other issues regarding my power button not turning on my phone and my issue has been resolved somehow with Google Search.

I feel like I have a brand new phone now, and my Droid 2 is working wonderfully now.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pens2005 »

the wicked child wrote:Holy shnikes the market was completely redesigned.
Really? I don't notice a difference whatsoever.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

pens2005 wrote:
the wicked child wrote:Holy shnikes the market was completely redesigned.
Really? I don't notice a difference whatsoever.
It is completely different for me now.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

I finally updated to the new market as well. They've integrated the Google Books and Movies' stores into the Market.

Speaking of movies and Android Market, Netflix is now available on a bunch of new phones. I don't know if this old news or not, but I've been waiting for it for the X for a while now.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:I finally updated to the new market as well. They've integrated the Google Books and Movies' stores into the Market.

Speaking of movies and Android Market, Netflix is now available on a bunch of new phones. I don't know if this old news or not, but I've been waiting for it for the X for a while now.
It's been on the X for like two months. It's a terrible app though, most of the movies we're worse than the actual instant selection.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Malkamaniac wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:I finally updated to the new market as well. They've integrated the Google Books and Movies' stores into the Market.

It's been on the X for like two months. It's a terrible app though, most of the movies we're worse than the actual instant selection.
I figured it had been out for a while, I just hadn't checked after the initial Android Netflix app release (when the phone wasn't listed). I just figured Netflix or tech blogs would have pimped the announcement a little more.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Updated to Gingerbread a couple weeks ago, and I've noticed recently that my phone tends to lag quite a bit now. Is that common?
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

tifosi77 wrote:Updated to Gingerbread a couple weeks ago, and I've noticed recently that my phone tends to lag quite a bit now. Is that common?
Hmm, I have actually noticed improvement on my X. Especially battery life.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Malkamaniac wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:Updated to Gingerbread a couple weeks ago, and I've noticed recently that my phone tends to lag quite a bit now. Is that common?
Same here, improvement on battery life and less lag.

I do have the weird problem of not being able to send texts or outgoing calls from time to time, requiring me to power cycle the phone.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:
Same here, improvement on battery life and less lag.

I do have the weird problem of not being able to send texts or outgoing calls from time to time, requiring me to power cycle the phone.
I've heard of that problem, but I have yet to actually have that problem. My fiancee has an incredible, and since her update, it's basically a garbage phone .
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Post by Pitt87 »

Depends on HOW you updated. If you are using a custom ROM, back up everything, make sure you have the latest version downloaded, and flash away. If you're not rooted and are depending on the OTA updates, you should find a way to back up (not sure how...) reset back to factory and reload update.zip via recovery. This would just 're-update' the existing stock software, but you will lose any of your stuff.

Personally, I've been on a Bamf Sense 3 GB rom on my Thunderbolt for a few weeks and am really not a fan besides the tool kit. Looking for alternatives, if anyone has any suggestions.