How many of you own a droid?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: How many of you own a droid?

Post by count2infinity »

wait..they can't change you plan right in the middle of your contract can they?
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

No they cannot.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

count2infinity wrote:good thing i'm already locked into my 2 year contract.... and i'll just switch providers after i'm done if someone else has unlimited data.
you're quickly running out of options. tmobile offers it, i think sprint does too. but tmobile will be gone soon, and sprint forces you to pay for things that are likely not available to you (like 4G access)
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

boost mobile... here i come.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

I barely use my phone. I mean, sometimes I go for a few days without even looking at it. I occasionally email, check FB, look up phone numbers/address on Google, etc. but last month I still used just under 2gb of data. That's not worth $30 a month and using slightly more sure as heck isn't worth $50. I pay almost $100 a month for a phone I actually use about 12-15 days a month. When my contact is up next year I'll go back to a tracphone type of service. Verizon can suck it, lol.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Telling someone to suck it followed by lol is sending mixed signals...
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

I go from 1 GB to 250 MB of data a month, and I have wifi almost everywhere I go (work, home, off-campus meetings usually have wifi as well). I wonder how much I'll use if I use Google Music on our road trip later this month...

Is anyone else having issues with Google calendar reminders coming late? Like 30-40 minutes after the appointment? It isn't GCal, because I'm getting reminders on time on my desktop.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:I go from 1 GB to 250 MB of data a month, and I have wifi almost everywhere I go (work, home, off-campus meetings usually have wifi as well). I wonder how much I'll use if I use Google Music on our road trip later this month...

Is anyone else having issues with Google calendar reminders coming late? Like 30-40 minutes after the appointment? It isn't GCal, because I'm getting reminders on time on my desktop.
where do you find how much data you used? I use my x a lot when driving (gps, pandora, sirius)
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

eddysnake wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:I go from 1 GB to 250 MB of data a month, and I have wifi almost everywhere I go (work, home, off-campus meetings usually have wifi as well). I wonder how much I'll use if I use Google Music on our road trip later this month...

where do you find how much data you used? I use my x a lot when driving (gps, pandora, sirius)
It should tell you on your bill, under data usage. I get e-bills, so I go to myverizonewireless.com to find out the bill details.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

If you're paying the unlimited plan now, you're not going to tier. If you have a NEW PLAN or are getting a NEW PLAN that's when you'll get tossed into the tiered pricing. I don't get how that's hard to understand.
Puffymuffin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Puffymuffin »

I just got an Asus EEE Pad Transformer from work, anyone know any good apps to get? Books, comics, news etc? :P
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Loaf31 »

Malkamaniac wrote:If you're paying the unlimited plan now, you're not going to tier. If you have a NEW PLAN or are getting a NEW PLAN that's when you'll get tossed into the tiered pricing. I don't get how that's hard to understand.
I have the unlimited plan right now, but won't I go to tiered pricing when my I renew my contract in March 2012?
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

pittsoccer33 wrote:
count2infinity wrote:good thing i'm already locked into my 2 year contract.... and i'll just switch providers after i'm done if someone else has unlimited data.
you're quickly running out of options. tmobile offers it, i think sprint does too. but tmobile will be gone soon, and sprint forces you to pay for things that are likely not available to you (like 4G access)
Tmobile is not unlimited. You are heavily throttled after 5MB of usage. They like to call it unlimited because it doesn't stop you from surfing the net it just takes you back to the dark ages when doing it.
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by tjand72 »

My wife made a unilateral decision to call Verizon on the last available day of the unlimited data plan and get herself an iPhone. I argued with her because she didn't even think about or research any other phones, but she didn't seem to care.

Well, I tried to activate it on her MacBook, and apparently I can't update the iTunes on there because she's running Leopard. I need Snow Leopard, I guess. So, she got a phone that is incompatible with the computer that she wants to use it with. Wonderful.

I installed Itunes on my Windows XP machine (which is apparently able to use the "updated" iTunes), and I'm in the process of doing the activation now. So now, she can't sync with anything on her laptop, and will have to use my computer for anything that she can't do over Wi-Fi.

I think I may have to do a little Hackintosh work on her laptop in the future.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

every so often my droid x will restart after I shut down. This just started happening after the gingerbread update. anyone else?
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

eddysnake wrote:every so often my droid x will restart after I shut down. This just started happening after the gingerbread update. anyone else?
Not happening to me, but occasionally I can't place outgoing calls or texts. So I have to restart, which can be a PITA.

Speaking of which, what do your phones at night? Our mobile phones have replaced our landline, so I put mine on sleep overnight. Do you guys shut them off completely or what? Just curious.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

I do shut them off. I'd rather get rid of the land line, but at the time it was actually cheaper to get bundled into comcast triple play deal with a landline. I hate having my cell phone (or girlfriend as the wife calls it) with me all the time, trying to correct that, but it's so easy to access pretty much anything having it beside you.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

eddysnake wrote:every so often my droid x will restart after I shut down. This just started happening after the gingerbread update. anyone else?
This has happened to me occasionally in the past, but not recently... def not since the update.

The big problem I had was when I switched USB mode from charge only to mass storage mode, the phone would often reboot... pretty annoying.
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Ben Klingston »

Yeah, same thing for me.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

tjand72 wrote:My wife made a unilateral decision to call Verizon on the last available day of the unlimited data plan and get herself an iPhone. I argued with her because she didn't even think about or research any other phones, but she didn't seem to care.

Well, I tried to activate it on her MacBook, and apparently I can't update the iTunes on there because she's running Leopard. I need Snow Leopard, I guess. So, she got a phone that is incompatible with the computer that she wants to use it with. Wonderful.

I installed Itunes on my Windows XP machine (which is apparently able to use the "updated" iTunes), and I'm in the process of doing the activation now. So now, she can't sync with anything on her laptop, and will have to use my computer for anything that she can't do over Wi-Fi.

I think I may have to do a little Hackintosh work on her laptop in the future.
I thought I was getting under the wire last Thursday, but the article in USA Today put out some bad info. I thought I had to jump to Snow Leopard (have the disk at home, never updated after getting new laptop), but the soft update to 10.5.8 did the trick for me. Syncing appears to be a non-issue, although I'm not a big fan of the latest update of itunes.
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by tjand72 »

Sorry. I meant that she has Tiger, which means that her computer won't update past 10.4.11. The new iTunes needs something like 10.5 at least.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Fire0nice228 »

Whenever I try to bring the keypad up to dial it just crashes back the the home screen.. I cant dial anything. It works fine in call though, but I have to call everything from my contact list. My phone did go into 'cool down mode' and Ive researched online that this may be a side effect of that, and that there may not be a fix other than a reset. Any ideas?
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

My phone does the rebooting thing.

When I updated the OS on my X a few weeks ago, it was lightning fast. I loved it. But now it's super slow and lags on everything I do. I'm on Adroid version 2.3.3 and System version 4.5.596.MB810. It says my system's up to date and no updates are available. I'm really disappointed with how poorly it's performing lately.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

For the people that use SwiftKey. It's out of beta, and the Beta stops working on the 20th. However, they have it on sale today for $1.99. Just picked it up.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Malkamaniac wrote:For the people that use SwiftKey. It's out of beta, and the Beta stops working on the 20th. However, they have it on sale today for $1.99. Just picked it up.
is it safe to use the phone for payments or can you buy it online? whats the story