How many of you own a droid?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: How many of you own a droid?

Post by Kraftster »

WWF is the biggest battery suck out there. I pretty much only play on the iPad now.
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Loaf31 »

anyone having trouble with Handcent SMS since the Gingerbread update? I will send texts and get a message that it didn't go through. The only way to fix it is to restart the phone
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Loaf31 wrote:anyone having trouble with Handcent SMS since the Gingerbread update? I will send texts and get a message that it didn't go through. The only way to fix it is to restart the phone
no problems here. Every once in a while when I try sending a picture I'll get that message, but it's very rare.
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Loaf31 »

eddysnake wrote:
Loaf31 wrote:anyone having trouble with Handcent SMS since the Gingerbread update? I will send texts and get a message that it didn't go through. The only way to fix it is to restart the phone
no problems here. Every once in a while when I try sending a picture I'll get that message, but it's very rare.
It did it again, so I did a little looking around and decided to download "GoSMS Pro".... I'll give that a shot instead of Handcent
pittsports87
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by pittsports87 »

I have the G2 with t-mobile, it isn't necessarily a droid but it runs droid software. So far I love it.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

I've had that problem (and solution) with the default text messaging client (?)
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Ben Klingston »

Ben Klingston wrote:Ok, so on my X, I had groups of contacts that I could call up and select when sending a text. Now, when I click on text messaging and the 'to' field, it auto-guesses who I want to send to, but I can't find how to select groups or contacts.... help?
Gonna bump this again. I am using the standard text message software on the Droid X and having the above problem. Two issues:

I appear to have to type in the name of the contact I want to text - I can't figure out how to select from my contact list. If I tap the 'To' field, it shows a few of my more-frequently texted contacts, but that's it.

Also, I have a few 'groups' of contacts saved. I used to be able to select that group as a contact, then individually choose which members of my group I wanted to send the msg to. Now if I type in the name of the group, it recognizes and brings up the group, but automatically selects all of the group and I have to individually delete them from the 'To' field.

Really P****** me off..... any ideas? Is there a different app I should try?
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Loaf31 »

Ben Klingston wrote:
Ben Klingston wrote:Ok, so on my X, I had groups of contacts that I could call up and select when sending a text. Now, when I click on text messaging and the 'to' field, it auto-guesses who I want to send to, but I can't find how to select groups or contacts.... help?
Gonna bump this again. I am using the standard text message software on the Droid X and having the above problem. Two issues:

I appear to have to type in the name of the contact I want to text - I can't figure out how to select from my contact list. If I tap the 'To' field, it shows a few of my more-frequently texted contacts, but that's it.

Also, I have a few 'groups' of contacts saved. I used to be able to select that group as a contact, then individually choose which members of my group I wanted to send the msg to. Now if I type in the name of the group, it recognizes and brings up the group, but automatically selects all of the group and I have to individually delete them from the 'To' field.

There are a few good text messaging apps out there:

Handcent, ChompSMS, GoSMS to name a few. I really like Handcent and GoSMS. I never really liked the stock text message program.
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Ben Klingston »

Loaf31 wrote:
Ben Klingston wrote:

There are a few good text messaging apps out there:

Handcent, ChompSMS, GoSMS to name a few. I really like Handcent and GoSMS. I never really liked the stock text message program.
Thanks. Will have to try a few of those. Once you download, do you somehow have to set them as the default SMS app - i.e. accessible when you touch the 'text msg' icon on the homescreen? I didn't mind the default SMS program, but this latest update has made it terrible.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Loaf31 wrote:
eddysnake wrote:
It did it again, so I did a little looking around and decided to download "GoSMS Pro".... I'll give that a shot instead of Handcent
after I typed this last night, it did it when I tried to send a picture. I deleted the message and it worked fine when I tried again. How do you like the GoSMS Pro?

I went back to better keyboard 8, its much friendlier if you are looking to type fast and not use the prediction thing. It definitely has the best layout of a keyboard I've used yet. I did like the voice text of Swiftkey though, just don't like the keyboard and am not used to the prediction thing yet.
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Loaf31 »

eddysnake wrote:
Loaf31 wrote:
eddysnake wrote:
after I typed this last night, it did it when I tried to send a picture. I deleted the message and it worked fine when I tried again. How do you like the GoSMS Pro?

I went back to better keyboard 8, its much friendlier if you are looking to type fast and not use the prediction thing. It definitely has the best layout of a keyboard I've used yet. I did like the voice text of Swiftkey though, just don't like the keyboard and am not used to the prediction thing yet.
I am really liking GoSMS Pro...I think that it is a lot faster than Handcent. Other than that, I do not notice a huge difference
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

GoSMS is where it's at.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

The last update killed ESPN scorecenter... it erased all the favorite teams and won't let you add any. In fact, it doesn't seem to be showing anything, really. Thanks a lot!
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

the wicked child wrote:The last update killed ESPN scorecenter... it erased all the favorite teams and won't let you add any. In fact, it doesn't seem to be showing anything, really. Thanks a lot!
same here...
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

count2infinity wrote:
the wicked child wrote:The last update killed ESPN scorecenter... it erased all the favorite teams and won't let you add any. In fact, it doesn't seem to be showing anything, really. Thanks a lot!
same here...
Me too, mine won't even connect via wifi, and then only sometimes via 3G. Not good.
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Ben Klingston »

Yeah, my Accuweather homescreen app that showed local weather also disappeared, though I was growing tired of it's lack of radar images.

What's a good app and widget to have on your homescreen, particularly that shows incoming weather on radar?
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

This thread is convincing me that I shouldn't.

Seriously....are these foobars common?
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

columbia wrote:This thread is convincing me that I shouldn't.

Seriously....are these foobars common?
Not usual at all. I've had my X since October and there was one major Verizon update with no issues. This latest update - Verizon's version of Gingerbread - seems to have some minor issues.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

My boss is looking for a new phone. He has an incredible and it's "too small".

Saw my Droid X screen and liked it and saw his daughter's iPhone and she swears by it.

He asked me to research the differences and see if there's anything else from Verizon for him.

I'm thinking iPhone 32 GB, Droid X2 or Thunderbolt.

Can anyone compare contrast any 2 or 3 of those phones or another?

Thanks.
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by tjand72 »

A bit off topic, but I have a smartphone question. If you buy or upgrade to a smartphone with Verizon, is there a mandatory data plan? From what I understand, every single smartphone on every network requires some type of data plan. Is this right? I realize that in order to use any of the internet features, you need a data plan, but do you have to sign up for it whether you use the data or not?

My LG VX8300 is the best phone ever and I don't want to get rid of it, but my wife wants to get a smartphone. I don't think I'm happy about the decision.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Pretty sure a data plan is a must for a smart phone. It would be kinda pointless to get one without it anyway.
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by tjand72 »

I figured it would be pointless, but I wish there were other options. I could go for a pay-as-you-go data plan so that she can get her fill from a few apps that she downloads here and there rather than a monthly fee.

Shouldn't cell phone plans be practically free at this point? It's so ubiquitous that I figured that competition would drive down prices to practically nothing. I guess I was wrong.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-201 ... 11169.html
Starting Thursday, Verizon Wireless will offer two gigabytes of data for $30, five gigabytes for $50 and 10 gigabytes for $80, Raney said. Customers will pay $10 for each additional gigabyte they use beyond their plan.
I have no idea how much I use, so I don't no if this is good or not
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

good thing i'm already locked into my 2 year contract.... and i'll just switch providers after i'm done if someone else has unlimited data.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

I used over 4GB in data last month. Looks like I'd have to go with the five gigabyte plan which is $20 more than I'm paying now. Ugh.