TV Shows

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: TV Shows

Post by columbia »

Eismann wrote:The Office was good last night.
Surprisingly, it was.
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Physical_Graffiti »

LMFAO the "real" ambiguously gay duo
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

Physical_Graffiti wrote:LMFAO the "real" ambiguously gay duo
I dont care how stupid that was. That was awesome.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

Speaking of shows that were gunned down before their prime..

[youtube][/youtube]
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

DudeMan2766 wrote:
Physical_Graffiti wrote:LMFAO the "real" ambiguously gay duo
I dont care how stupid that was. That was awesome.
yeah, that could have gone on for at least another 10 mins, and it would have been fine with me. how the hell is Paul Simon supposed to follow THAT?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

Just finished the first season of Archer. I absolutely love this show.
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Physical_Graffiti »

Wasn't JT supposed to host?
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by cheesesteakwithegg »

Surprised that NBC axed Outsourced. I thought it deserved a second season.
Point Breeze Penguins
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Point Breeze Penguins »

Killing = intriguing
Nuge
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Nuge »

Chefpatrick871 wrote:What I completely fail to understand about Fox is, they still stop programing after 9 pm so they can have the FIRST NEWS at 10. Yeah because I can't get my news anytime any day via this crazy new thing called the internet. That is 5 hours of programing that is completely wasted.

Thank god the Steelers play on CBS, I am now avoiding Fox like the plague.
Thats 5 hours a week less of production costs for new shows. They can show the news at ten and local affiliates can sell ads during reruns of seinfeld or some other show that will probably get better ratings at 11 or 11:30 than a new show would at ten.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

My opinion has been varied on SNL recently.

Two weeks ago, I thought the entire show was fantastic from start to finish. The Michael Bolton Lonely Island video just topped it off, but I laughed the entire time.

This weekend, I thought it was terrible. I like Ed Helms, but man, he was rough in his first appearance. I also greatly enjoy Paul Simon, but those performances were awful. I understand wanting to showcase your new stuff, but you will be 70 this year dude. PLAY ONE OLD SONG AT LEAST.
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Not saying I'm at your mom's house, not saying I'm not.

Post by Chefpatrick871 »

Nuge wrote:
Chefpatrick871 wrote:What I completely fail to understand about Fox is, they still stop programing after 9 pm so they can have the FIRST NEWS at 10. Yeah because I can't get my news anytime any day via this crazy new thing called the internet. That is 5 hours of programing that is completely wasted.

Thank god the Steelers play on CBS, I am now avoiding Fox like the plague.
Thats 5 hours a week less of production costs for new shows. They can show the news at ten and local affiliates can sell ads during reruns of seinfeld or some other show that will probably get better ratings at 11 or 11:30 than a new show would at ten.
I dunno about that, 10 pm is a prime tv time, and with cable channels now producing good dramas(TNT, USA, A&E, AMC etc. etc.), you'd think Fox would want to make an attempt to keep up.

And as for the 5 hours less production costs, how bout 5 hours of 3/4 less viewers.

But hey, Idol and Glee are still on :evil:
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

I'm a bit late to the party on this one, but I recently started watching The Shield starting from the beginning. Enjoying it more than I thought I would.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Good to see it is coming back for one more season. I absolutely love this show.

Sucks it's only going to be 13 episodes.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

Survivor...
Spoiler:
at least the most deserving won this time
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

relantel wrote:Survivor...
Spoiler:
at least the most deserving won this time
i got really annoyed at phillip doing the, "being a crazy jerk idiot was just a tactic" shtick. he's a jag. gameplay had nothing to do with it
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Not saying I'm at your mom's house, not saying I'm not.

Post by Chefpatrick871 »

Castle, holy crap :shock:
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Quick question. Does it seem like there are a lot more TV shows that are shortlived and cancelled pretty quickly today?

When I was a kid, and maybe it was because I didn't really pay attention, but it seemed like shows were more likely to stay on the air, and there weren't so many cancelled shows, where the plug was pulled so quickly.

Now that networks are announcing their fall lineups, it seems like most of the new shows that came out this year are not coming back, and many are cancelled after just a few episodes.

Could it be because:

1) Instead of like in the past where shows were full season, and ran from Sept to May, there are many mid season shows/ or partial season, so there are a lot more new shows that have a chance to fail.

2) Because of #1, most people have no idea when their favorite shows are on (that are new) and when they can view them

3) Shows that do not fair well immediately are moved around the weekly calendar and are hard to find?

4) Reality shows are cheaper to produce, so it is easy to axe a sitcome or drama with higher costs if it does not perform well immediately

It just seems like some shows you start warming up to are gone and each and every year, there are just a few long term shows, and the rest just come and go. I read yesterday where I think NBC had no new returning sitcoms from the this year returning, and that 80% of their shows they release each year fail and do not make a second season. And it seems like it is like that for most networks.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Chefpatrick871 wrote:Castle, holy crap :shock:
I taped it last night, but your :shock: is getting me excited to watch it tonight.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

Chefpatrick871 wrote:Castle, holy crap :shock:

still 5 eps behind (maybe 6 now). I think the one we just watched was very early in DWTS.

It's a good thing many shows are coming to season finales - we'll need much of the summer just to catch up. Blasted DWTS has taken a lot out of our normal viewing patterns, though I suspect we won't watch future seasons of it since Hines was the lure. (Heck, we still have 8 eps of NUMB3RS to go, and that was cancelled March 2010). Though IPS and LO:CI have started back up, but at least that is fewer stuff in the pipeline. As it is, we have to watch an hour already recorded to be able to record the next one. Well, there are a couple hours leeway but not much. We'd have to watch an hour show backlogged late one night in order for a new one to record the next night. Or Friday/Sat, we had to watch 2-3 hrs worht to record the Survivor finale.

In other shows, we did catch up on CSI last night - Sunday we thought we were watching the 2nd part of a 2-part episode... only to find out
Spoiler:
that it was the 2nd part of a 3 part episode
:scared:
Nuge
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Nuge »

Anybody watch How I Met Your Mother? I thought this season as a whole was pretty solid.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

Nuge wrote:Anybody watch How I Met Your Mother? I thought this season as a whole was pretty solid.
I thought HIMYM fell off a little bit this season, but I'm interested in next season based on what we saw last night.
Spoiler:
When Marshall woke up the next day without puking, I knew right away that Lily was pregnant. I also had a feeling that Barney would wind up getting married based on how this season has gone.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Nuge wrote:Anybody watch How I Met Your Mother? I thought this season as a whole was pretty solid.
I watched it. I thought this season was decent.
Spoiler:
It suprised me when he said "that kids, is how I met your mother" when the lady gave the wrong girl the flowers. I looked at my wife in shock. Then like 2 seconds later, he said "sike".

Also, I knew right away when Lily was throwing up she was pregnant. Was suprised to see the Barney getting married clip.
I think it has 2 more good seasons left in it.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

newarenanow wrote:
Spoiler:
It suprised me when he said "that kids, is how I met your mother" when the lady gave the wrong girl the flowers. I looked at my wife in shock. Then like 2 seconds later, he said "sike".

Also, I knew right away when Lily was throwing up she was pregnant. Was suprised to see the Barney getting married clip.
this season was good, but ted still remains the least likable main character that a really good show has ever produced.
Spoiler:
and yeah, as soon as she puked the first time, i knew she was pregnant.
Nuge
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Nuge »

shmenguin wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
Spoiler:

this season was good, but ted still remains the least likable main character that a really good show has ever produced.
Spoiler:
and yeah, as soon as she puked the first time, i knew she was pregnant.
I think next season will be pretty good but any seasons after that will probably be subpar.
Spoiler:
Once the baby is born, etc. I don't see any way that it would be nearly as good with a baby or a married Barney. It might be his wedding but I doubt he actually gets married (stood up at altar, backs out, etc.)