How many of you own a droid?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: How many of you own a droid?

Post by tifosi77 »

I don't know much about the differences between the two, but I will say that I love the large screen size of the X.

Also, has anyone been to the Amazon Appstore yet? My coworker just previewed it for me, and it looks pretty awesome.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

yea I just stopped at the store to see phones in person and they showed me the Incredible 2 just out today. It looks awesome and the screen instantly made me want it over the first Incredible, still dunno if the extra hundred would be worth that tho. Also, seems prices with extentions online are much cheaper than getting it in stores. Is this true or am I seeing things?
Firebird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Firebird »

Thunderbolt is by far the best phone in the Verizon lineup
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

It looks sweet. I just dont think I'm gonna shell out the money for it. Amazon has Incredibles for .01, are those legit offers? If so I'd be stupid not to go with that I think
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

Don't know if anyone has experience in rooting their phone, but I just did mine. Working with what I want to do with it right now, but my initial design is(lol WoW nerd, I know):
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/05/20/ha ... t-devices/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Instant netflix has been cracked to work on most Android phones. It works on my Droid X. Enjoy.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

OTA update for Droid X, you can now get the gingerbread (2.3) system update. Settings: About phone: updates.
Das boot
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Das boot »

Just switched from an iphone to motorola atrix. Anyone have any tips for new droid user? Also anyone use advanced task killer, if so how often do you 'kill' your apps. Thanks in advance.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

I stopped using Advanced Task Killer on a regular basis. Apparently it uses more battery life to kill things sometimes than it does to let them stand by. I generally only use it if I notice my phone slowing down significantly, or on occasion where the internet just stopped loading it seemed to clear up whatever was going on.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

the wicked child wrote:I stopped using Advanced Task Killer on a regular basis. Apparently it uses more battery life to kill things sometimes than it does to let them stand by. I generally only use it if I notice my phone slowing down significantly, or on occasion where the internet just stopped loading it seemed to clear up whatever was going on.
You didn't need to use ATK like 3 service patches ago. People still swear by it, but it's a battery hog.

Also, download the Amazon App Center. Every day they give away a paid free app for free. Two days ago it was Plants Vs. Zombies(awesome awesome game), yesterday it was Pacman, and today it's TaskKiller Pro.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

eddysnake wrote:OTA update for Droid X, you can now get the gingerbread (2.3) system update. Settings: About phone: updates.
Thanks for the heads up on this! It's about time.
yubb
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by yubb »

Malkamaniac wrote:Don't know if anyone has experience in rooting their phone, but I just did mine. Working with what I want to do with it right now, but my initial design is(lol WoW nerd, I know):
My suggestion after rooting is to load a custom ROM. Beware that you can brick your phone - render it dead, useless, irreparably damaged. That being said the fellows from CyanogenMod make a really nice ROM. It gets you extra features and Gingerbread (which is just now coming down to most phones OTA while CyanogenMod has been running on Gingerbread for months).

http://www.cyanogenmod.com/
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

yubb wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:Don't know if anyone has experience in rooting their phone, but I just did mine. Working with what I want to do with it right now, but my initial design is(lol WoW nerd, I know):
My suggestion after rooting is to load a custom ROM. Beware that you can brick your phone - render it dead, useless, irreparably damaged. That being said the fellows from CyanogenMod make a really nice ROM. It gets you extra features and Gingerbread (which is just now coming down to most phones OTA while CyanogenMod has been running on Gingerbread for months).

http://www.cyanogenmod.com/
Actually already running it. It's glorious. :)
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Loaf31 »

eddysnake wrote:OTA update for Droid X, you can now get the gingerbread (2.3) system update. Settings: About phone: updates.
Thanks for the heads up. This update is awesome. This just reinforces why I prefer Android over Apple
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Loaf31 wrote:
Thanks for the heads up. This update is awesome. This just reinforces why I prefer Android over Apple
it's a nice upgrade, although my led indicator stopped working with handcent once I upgraded.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

I just failed hard. I went to clockword mod and factory re-set my phone because I misunderstood something simple. I are dumb.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by DocEmrick »

Malkamaniac wrote:I just failed hard. I went to clockword mod and factory re-set my phone because I misunderstood something simple. I are dumb.
:/
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

DocEmrick wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:I just failed hard. I went to clockword mod and factory re-set my phone because I misunderstood something simple. I are dumb.
lol it's whatever, I was looking to do a complete re-design and clean up some of the apps that I had installed that I never use. Here's looking at you Angry Birds.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by DocEmrick »

Malkamaniac wrote:
DocEmrick wrote:
lol it's whatever, I was looking to do a complete re-design and clean up some of the apps that I had installed that I never use. Here's looking at you Angry Birds.
:thumb: Angry Birds gets me through work
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

I've been on a huge Plants Vs. Zombies kick.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by DocEmrick »

I'll have to check that one out.

Does Droid have an app store for root access? Similar to iPhone's Cydia (sp?)
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

DudeMan2766 wrote:So I think Im just gonna break down and extend my contract with verizon. Chances are when my contracts up I wont switch carriers anyway. I'm looking for a droid, but still not looking to spend alot. I can get the x for I think $200, but an incredible for 100. For someone who really doesn't use (need) their phone for too much more than talk, text, web surf and games is spending the extra 100 for an X worth it? Or could I get by on the Incredible?

I love my Incredible. Not sure I'll get a new phone when I'm eligible. I surf, text and play the occasional game, not ure i really need a newer 4g phone. Though I'm sure I'll break down sometime next year and buy one
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

DocEmrick wrote:I'll have to check that one out.

Not that I have seen, but I haven't really been looking that hard either.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

apt-get update
apt-get install freedom
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

columbia wrote:

apt-get update
apt-get install freedom
Is that for all apps? How does that work?