Offical Arena Thread: 2/1/07

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
HockeyDaddy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by HockeyDaddy »

jdev28 wrote:http://www.postgazette.com/pg/07032/758616-100.stm

Rendell - Arena offer revised, but deal not close yet :cry:

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHGGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Jesse »

jjj5032
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by jjj5032 »

Dont worry about it guys. Its a clear sign since the Lemieux Foundations is selling PA license plates, they will be staying in Pittsburgh according to another post on here
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Mad City Mike »

Roller coaster goes down down down.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Stoosh »

I'll be interested to read the Trib's take on this, if they go with a "breaking news" update on their site.

Truthfully, I didn't care for the way news outlets like WTAE were portraying this whole thing, and maybe that has caused Rendell to speak out on it. WTAE mistakenly said earlier in the week that yesterday was the dealine imposed by Lemieux, assuming that he told KC back in early January that he'd have an answer for them by the end of the month. Lemieux, in fact, said he'd let KC know within 30 days. There's a difference between the two, yet WTAE was handling this is as if yesterday was the self-imposed deadline for the Pens.

This report might be your snag that TSN was referencing.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Kinda bummed out this morning.... last night during the Leafs-Rangers game they said they had word that the arena deal in Pittsburgh was done.

Then a few minutes later they announced that an MSG security guard/usher type person had just won a million bucks on a scratch-off lottery ticket during the intermission. :)
cs6687 wrote:For the naming rights, accumulate the revenue from all the media outlets in Pittsburgh, and call the new arena, MFOM Place.
I'd like them to call it the Smizik Memorial Coliseum.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Like I keep saying, until there is a PC announcing it, I'm not going to believe it. All of the media sources are just trying to have the "breaking news" and will put out info w/o verifying it. News will be up and down. I hope they get it done sooner rather than later though. Oh well, I guess they won't have an announcement tonight. :(
Guins

Post by Guins »

Uh the Putz-Gazette was also the "paper" that "broke" the story that Tulsa wanted the Pens.HAHAHAHAHA :lol:
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

And by the way, I really don't see this as "roller coaster down". I think the PG title is a little misleading.

Rendell never said that they are far away on issues. He just said that there is still work to do and the deal is not done yet.

At least they are still talking. I would love for this to be finished tonight or tomorrow, but I guess that won't happen.

Again, we are going to keep hearing, "it's done", "it's not done", and we may hear another "they are moving" (although hopefully unlikely). Until they have the PC, take everything with a grain of salt.
SportsFan

Post by SportsFan »

jjj5032 wrote:Dont worry about it guys. Its a clear sign since the Lemieux Foundations is selling PA license plates, they will be staying in Pittsburgh according to another post on here
What the heck selling license plates have to do with the team staying? These are for a charity, its not like the fans are going to move with the team.

I think they stay, but him selling PA License plates shows nothing at all.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

The Trib sure is quiet. They haven't put up anything new since last night. Maybe Michigan State Mike was using his sources to help Rossi.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

SportsFan wrote:
jjj5032 wrote:Dont worry about it guys. Its a clear sign since the Lemieux Foundations is selling PA license plates, they will be staying in Pittsburgh according to another post on here
What the heck selling license plates have to do with the team staying? These are for a charity, its not like the fans are going to move with the team.

I think he's being sarcastic. If not, then yes, I agree.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Stoosh »

And by the way, I really don't see this as "roller coaster down". I think the PG title is a little misleading.

Rendell never said that they are far away on issues. He just said that there is still work to do and the deal is not done yet.

At least they are still talking. I would love for this to be finished tonight or tomorrow, but I guess that won't happen.

Again, we are going to keep hearing, "it's done", "it's not done", and we may hear another "they are moving" (although hopefully unlikely). Until they have the PC, take everything with a grain of salt.
The only thing I'm hoping to see when I check the media reports is the notification that the Pens have called a press conference. If they want to tell me in the headline that the team is going to announce that they're staying, bonus.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Stoosh wrote:

The only thing I'm hoping to see when I check the media reports is the notification that the Pens have called a press conference. If they want to tell me in the headline that the team is going to announce that they're staying, bonus.
Yes, if I see a press conference call, then you know it is the end one way or another. That is the only news I am going to get excited for. And like you said, if they want to tell us before the PC that it is good news, then that will calm my nerves a plenty. :D
SportsFan

Post by SportsFan »

newarenanow wrote:
Stoosh wrote:

Yes, if I see a press conference call, then you know it is the end one way or another. That is the only news I am going to get excited for. And like you said, if they want to tell us before the PC that it is good news, then that will calm my nerves a plenty. :D
I agree and this is why I said I wish the local media would just stopping reporting stuff just to report it.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

SportsFan wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
Stoosh wrote:

I agree and this is why I said I wish the local media would just stopping reporting stuff just to report it.
they know the more stuff they print/post/say, the more attention theyll get. they are doing their business...badly, but thats what they feel they have to do to sell papers/get ratings
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

canaan wrote: they know the more stuff they print/post/say, the more attention theyll get. they are doing their business...badly, but thats what they feel they have to do to sell papers/get ratings
I know they are just doing their job, it's just annoying. :D
SDPensFan

Post by SDPensFan »

lol.....lol.....lol

Ha ha ha ha ha ha .. ha ha ha ha ha ha
ha ha ha ha ha
ha ha ha ha ha ha !!!!
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha !!!!!!!

Wow your right!!!!
also Penstation is selling jerseys.

THAT A REAL CLEAR CUT SIGN TOO...and THERE"S A GAME TONIGHT!!!

THEY ARE STAYING!!!!!!!!!

LOL.LOL HA HA HA HA HA :lol:
Brode

Post by Brode »

Man, one day I'm just going to call a press conference.
jjj5032
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by jjj5032 »

newarenanow wrote:
SportsFan wrote:

I think he's being sarcastic. If not, then yes, I agree.

extremely sarcastic lol
Xgen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

NBC SPORTS BREAKING NEWS HEADLINE....

Post by Xgen »

Incorrectly states of course...

Report: Penguins staying in Pittsburgh
NBCSports.com staff reportPosted: Feb.1, 2007, 2:45 pm EST

A celebration might be in order for Pittsburgh Penguins hockey fans.

According to a state senator, a deal has been cut with public officials for a

new arena to keep the franchise in Pittsburgh.

"I'm hearing that a deal could be made any day, which makes me suspect it's all about crossing the t's and dotting the i's," Sen. Wayne Fontana told The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review on Thursday. "I don't know that there are any major hurdles left. It's all just little things."

Though the principle players in the deal, including Allegheny County Chief Executive Dan Onorato, Pittsburgh Mayor Luke Ravenstahl and the team itself, would not comment, Fontana claimed that he anticipates an announcement of the deal Thursday or Friday.

According to Fontana, Pittsbugh Governor Ed Rendell and Pens co-owner Ron Burkle have been in frequent contact via telephone after a January 18 meeting over how to divide arena revenue did not go well.

Pens co-owner Mario Lemieux has expressed throughout the long process that the team would explore all its options -- including a rent-free deal from Kansas City -- as the lease for outdated Mellon Arena expires after this season.

All parties involved, including the NHL, have repeated desires for the Penguins to remain in Pittsburgh.
malkins-shoulder
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by malkins-shoulder »

madden says he dont expect this to end good

Kansas Citys plan is in order he says
Fast B
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Fast B »

malkins-shoulder wrote:madden says he dont expect this to end good

That man says a lot of things. He said two diametrically opposed things yesterday. His input is worthless.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: NBC SPORTS BREAKING NEWS HEADLINE....

Post by newarenanow »

Xgen wrote:Incorrectly states of course...

Report: Penguins staying in Pittsburgh
NBCSports.com staff reportPosted: Feb.1, 2007, 2:45 pm EST

A celebration might be in order for Pittsburgh Penguins hockey fans.

According to a state senator, a deal has been cut with public officials for a

new arena to keep the franchise in Pittsburgh.

"I'm hearing that a deal could be made any day, which makes me suspect it's all about crossing the t's and dotting the i's," Sen. Wayne Fontana told The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review on Thursday. "I don't know that there are any major hurdles left. It's all just little things."

Though the principle players in the deal, including Allegheny County Chief Executive Dan Onorato, Pittsburgh Mayor Luke Ravenstahl and the team itself, would not comment, Fontana claimed that he anticipates an announcement of the deal Thursday or Friday.

According to Fontana, Pittsbugh Governor Ed Rendell and Pens co-owner Ron Burkle have been in frequent contact via telephone after a January 18 meeting over how to divide arena revenue did not go well.

Pens co-owner Mario Lemieux has expressed throughout the long process that the team would explore all its options -- including a rent-free deal from Kansas City -- as the lease for outdated Mellon Arena expires after this season.

All parties involved, including the NHL, have repeated desires for the Penguins to remain in Pittsburgh.

I wish Fontana would just shut the h*ll up. I hope he doesn't ruing this. ( I know is words have little meaning with regards of the deal, I'm talking about my optimism and I hope it's not false.)
Corban87

Post by Corban87 »

malkins-shoulder wrote:madden says he dont expect this to end good

F HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a fing tool, he is. My god, he just spews sooooooo much junk, it truely is unbelievable.

Shock jock that is all...