Offical Arena Thread: 2/1/07

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Offical Arena Thread: 2/1/07

Post by newarenanow »

Please put anything arena related in here. I love the arena news, but we have about 5 threads saying the same thing. Let's clean it up for the people who don't want to read the same thing in five different threads.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

MarioLemieux1992 wrote:http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07032/758485-61.stm

Tulsa :lol: "mr.funk" want the pens now
As I said on the other thread, where's he gonna put 'em next season? Their new arena doesn't open until 2008. Is there another arena in Tulsa where they can play? NHL size?
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Stoosh »

Mr. Funk?????

Netwolf will appreciate that...
Last edited by Stoosh on Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Offical Arena Thread: 2/1/07

Post by pfim »

newarenanow wrote:Please put anything arena related in here. I love the arena news, but we have about 5 threads saying the same thing. Let's clean it up for the people who don't want to read the same thing in five different threads.
POTW
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

PghPens06 wrote:
MarioLemieux1992 wrote:http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07032/758485-61.stm

Tulsa :lol: "mr.funk" want the pens now
As I said on the other thread, where's he gonna put 'em next season? Their new arena doesn't open until 2008. Is there another arena in Tulsa where they can play? NHL size?
I would think OK City. Then again, they're not going there so it's moot.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

pfim wrote:
newarenanow wrote:Please put anything arena related in here. I love the arena news, but we have about 5 threads saying the same thing. Let's clean it up for the people who don't want to read the same thing in five different threads.
POTW
What does POTW mean? I'm not up on chat lingo. :(
pmh118
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by pmh118 »

newarenanow wrote:
pfim wrote:
POTW
Post of the week
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

pmh118 wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
pfim wrote:
POTW
Post of the week
Nice. :D
Judy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Judy »

If anyone's interested the X is coming right up with an interview with Rob Rossi regarding the column he wrote this morning.....
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

I concur with POTW status and thanks newarena
Judy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Judy »

it's on right now.....
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Judy wrote:it's on right now.....
I can't listen. Can you give us a summary once he is done.

Thanks in advance.
Corban87

Post by Corban87 »

Judy wrote:If anyone's interested the X is coming right up with an interview with Rob Rossi regarding the column he wrote this morning.....
Thanks! I just tuned in, hopefully I will still be at my comp when he comes on..
heshootsandscores
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by heshootsandscores »

I just have a feeling tonight is the night. Between the first and second periods. Seems like a classic hockey "moment"...

We can only hope...
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

TSN sources Say

Post by Penspal »

TSN sources say the deal IS NOT DONE as of 8:00 pm last night. In fact, there may be a new hurdle.

arrrgh

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=194369&hubname=nhl
heshootsandscores
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: TSN sources Say

Post by heshootsandscores »

Penspal wrote:TSN sources say the deal IS NOT DONE as of 8:00 pm last night. In fact, there may be a new hurdle.

arrrgh

That was posted last night, probably the Hill District wanting a piece of the pie.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by bill from turtle creek »

That's old news, too.
Corban87

Re: TSN sources Say

Post by Corban87 »

Penspal wrote:TSN sources say the deal IS NOT DONE as of 8:00 pm last night. In fact, there may be a new hurdle.

arrrgh

Just like you said, that was from LASTNIGHT, and it was written because of what Madden said on his show. Nothing new
peterleefan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by peterleefan »

I wouldnt beleive anything tsn reports..........they want a team relocating to Canada, so imo, they'll print propoganda to cater to their audience.
Corban87

Post by Corban87 »

So Rob the Pens are staying...."Ya, I would be shocked if not"
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

I only ever felt like this related to the Pens twice:

1) The PA Gaming license announcement

2) Watching the Crosby lottery when we got down to about 10 teams left.

One ended with good news, the other not.

Let's tip the scales to good news.
Kodoshin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Kodoshin »

Not to mention, TSN reported on air shortly after that same website report that the team was staying in Pittsburgh but that the deal was not final yet (but nothing about any new hurdles). So TSN is not even consistent with TSN in this case (augh).
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Stoosh »

Rob Rossi on with Tim Benz right now…

- Wayne Fontana, a member of the SEA board, was adamant about the deal being close to being done. Expects it to possibly be announced today or tomorrow at the latest.

- Very little chance of the NHL allowing this team to pick up and leave.

- The only other viable option right now is KC and they are not expecting the Pens to leave.

- Gave Fontana several opportunities to back off his comments and he refused to do so.

- The $10 million payment to the Isle of Capri from the Pens may be the only real issue that is still on the table.

- From everything he’s been told, they’ve reached middle ground/compromise on the development rights of the land and the parking rights at the new building.

- The Pens may be stuck with this $10 million payment to Isle of Capri because this was a deal they cut, but they may be able to work something out with IoC to spread this payment out over a few years or something. There’s also the possibility that the state picks up the payment now and the team pays the state back over time.

- Believes this is a fair deal for the Pens, and the revenue streams will ultimately be the thing that keeps this team here.

- One other thing...Rossi did mention that both sides are being very careful about not leaking much information on this, and he said from everyone he's talked to, that speaks volumes as to the progress being made here.

Other than the stuff on alternatives to the $10 million to IoC, not much else here that we already didn’t know.

For what it's worth, Rossi has been much closer to these negotiations than anyone from TSN has. TSN is likely pulling from various reports around the Pittsburgh media (the KDKA website allowed yesterday for the possibility of this hitting another snag, but that sounded more like they were saying, "We really don't know what the hell is going on, so we're just going to make this sound good" as opposed to them actually having word of something going wrong in the negotiations).
Last edited by Stoosh on Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:49 am, edited 2 times in total.