How many of you own a droid?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: How many of you own a droid?

Post by Malkamaniac »

Kraftster wrote:The X. Whereas with the Storm I could go a weekend and not plug it in if I was out and about, my X is usually near dead battery by 12:00/1:00 AM every day taking it off the charger around 7:00. A full day is no problem whatsoever, so its not like its a downside to the phone, just not what the Storm was.
Yea, and I don't normally stray away from my charger on any phone. I'm actually a little OC'D about it, and I drive a lot so it's not like a car charger isn't out of the question.
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Loaf31 »

Kraftster wrote:
llipgh2 wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:Might be getting the X this week or next. Worth it?
I love my X, and the size of it isn't an issue.

First time I had a touch screen keyboard only. I actually like it.
This.

Physical keyboards are worthless. Let go. Touch is the future.

And Swype is the greatest phone innovation in a long time.
This and this.......

One of the best (phone) decisions that I have ever made
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

Does it pick up general wifi from routers? Or will I have to root and tether?
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Loaf31 »

Malkamaniac wrote:Does it pick up general wifi from routers? Or will I have to root and tether?
My X picks up my wifi from my router with no problem. You just have to remember your wifi password
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

Loaf31 wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:Does it pick up general wifi from routers? Or will I have to root and tether?
My X picks up my wifi from my router with no problem. You just have to remember your wifi password
Nice, because at my fiancee's house, the phone reception is bad, and I usually just fool around on the social media stuff there, so if I can connect via internet then great!
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

My X picks up my router at home, and the public pensmobile one at the CEC. But the signal at the CEC is crappy at best.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by CERV96 »

Not sure if it has been mentioned on here before but I thought I would share. If you own a droid x when you set your alarm leave the app open in task killer otherwise your alarm will not go off. I never had this problem with droid 1 but apparently the alarm will not go off if you kill it in task killer. Thankfully I have a back up alarm that woke me up this morning.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

superstartreatment wrote:Not sure if it has been mentioned on here before but I thought I would share. If you own a droid x when you set your alarm leave the app open in task killer otherwise your alarm will not go off. I never had this problem with droid 1 but apparently the alarm will not go off if you kill it in task killer. Thankfully I have a back up alarm that woke me up this morning.
Ah, so THAT is what happened to me on Sunday... I set my alarm for 8:30 and it never went off. Didn't put 2 and 2 together. Thought maybe I slept through it or something.
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Ben Klingston »

superstartreatment wrote:Not sure if it has been mentioned on here before but I thought I would share. If you own a droid x when you set your alarm leave the app open in task killer otherwise your alarm will not go off. I never had this problem with droid 1 but apparently the alarm will not go off if you kill it in task killer. Thankfully I have a back up alarm that woke me up this morning.
What is this task killer you speak of?
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Advanced Task Killer. Cool little app. Can set it to kill apps every so often (or do so manually).
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

My Advanced Task Manager on the X automatically does not kill the alarm. Seems odd that you guys have this issue.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Ben Klingston wrote:
Definitely get it. I honestly don't know how the phone can even function without it? How do you close applications without task killer?
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

Android OS top seller the last 6 months:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/05/andr ... st-six-mo/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not really surprising considering there are 19283019831290 with the OS now.
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by LeopardLetang »

just ordered a fascinate. i've never had a phone with internet or anything, so it's hard for me to tell if that was the right move or if i should cancel and get the incredible. i just read a long review on the fascinate and the only annoyance (which may be worse than that) is that apparently you're forced to use the bing search engine and can't use google as a default.

and i wasn't even shown the X which seems to be a viable option. my plan wasn't up yet so i didn't think i'd get a phone today but since i didn't have a smart phone (or something) they said they could. anyway.

thanks with any opinions. the review i read on engadget says the fascinate is not my best option. i'm guessing if i cancel within the next hour i could change to a different phone without a restocking fee
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

Isn't hte fascinate samsung? If so for the most part Samsung phones are crap. Cancel and get the X.
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by LeopardLetang »

Pavel Bure wrote:Isn't hte fascinate samsung? If so for the most part Samsung phones are crap. Cancel and get the X.
on with customer service now!
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Ben Klingston »

Kraftster wrote:
Ben Klingston wrote:
Definitely get it. I honestly don't know how the phone can even function without it? How do you close applications without task killer?
Interesting question, because I am a smartphone moron and I was wondering if there was something I should be doing to 'exit' an application. A few of them have the exit option when you press the panel options button on the bottom left, but for the ones that don't, I just press the home screen. If I do that and then go back into the apps menu and select the same app I just left, it appears to start up from scratch again, so I thought the home key 'exited' the app.... but I have no idea. My battery is fine... I would have thought it'd drain the battery and things would be really slow if they home key wasn't exiting the app.

I'll check out the task killer app.
Dean Wormer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Dean Wormer »

Task killers are actually unnecessary on an Android phone. It handles and uses memory differently than a computer does. I used Advanced Task Killer for the first 6 months or so that I had my Incredible. Stopped using it recently and phone runs faster, smoother and my battery life increased. Task killers generally do more harm than good because people over kill with them.

As for the alarm clock problem with the task killer, put the clock program on your ignore list. The task killer won't touch it and your alarm will go off as planned. Easier solution is to stop using the task killer altogether though.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by CERV96 »

I just got off of the phone with verizon because my visual voicemail was not working either. I asked him about the alarm clock also. I found out that I was using the old system version and had to upgrade from 2.1 to 2.2 or something like that. I am downloading the system update and he said it should fix both of my problems. I'm more concerned with the visual voicemail than the clock because I am paying for the VVM. So if I am still having the alarm clock issues I will put it on ignore on my task killer like Dean said and all should be well.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

Dean Wormer wrote:Task killers are actually unnecessary on an Android phone. It handles and uses memory differently than a computer does. I used Advanced Task Killer for the first 6 months or so that I had my Incredible. Stopped using it recently and phone runs faster, smoother and my battery life increased. Task killers generally do more harm than good because people over kill with them.

As for the alarm clock problem with the task killer, put the clock program on your ignore list. The task killer won't touch it and your alarm will go off as planned. Easier solution is to stop using the task killer altogether though.

Interesting, I am going to try this
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Draftnik »

Dean Wormer wrote:Task killers are actually unnecessary on an Android phone. It handles and uses memory differently than a computer does. I used Advanced Task Killer for the first 6 months or so that I had my Incredible. Stopped using it recently and phone runs faster, smoother and my battery life increased. Task killers generally do more harm than good because people over kill with them.

How do you turn off the music player without ATK? Actually with 2.2, I have to use ATK to force close the music player.
Dean Wormer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Dean Wormer »

Draftnik wrote:

How do you turn off the music player without ATK? Actually with 2.2, I have to use ATK to force close the music player.
I don't use my phone for music so I personally don't have this problem. But, if you go into Settings -> Applications -> Running Services you can end any task from there. You can put a shortcut to that right on your home screen so you don't have to go through that whole process if you want. There also might be a Quit option in music itself. A lot of the apps that do constantly run build that in.

Ending some tasks that continue to run in the background, like music, is something that you might want to think about doing if you get rid of the task killer. It's ending everything at once that's the problem since the majority of them are just going to start right back up again and use up battery and CPU while they are loading.
Dean Wormer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Dean Wormer »

Actually here's an article from fairly recently that will do a better job explaining the whole should you or shouldn't you thing with task killers.

http://lifehacker.com/5650894/android-t ... t-use-them" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

Posting this from my new droid x...lots of learning still to come.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

:thumb: