How many of you own a droid?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: How many of you own a droid?

Post by knives of ice »

i can stream live sports from channelsurfing.net on the evo with no problems so flash works fine. especially the updated version that came out just a few weeks ago.

rooting the phone is so simple i have no idea why people would be hesitant to do so, you can always relock the phone if you need to with many methods.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Draftnik »

New Android update downloaded this AM for my Droid. The last release seemed half baked so hopefully this one ironed out all the bugs. Quick turnaround from the last release, so at least Verizon appears to be responsive on the issues.
Dean Wormer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Dean Wormer »

I've been having tons of issues with my Incredible since the 2.2 OTA update. The phone runs VERY slow and laggy, especially when typing text messages. Battery life is absolutely horrid now. I had a dead phone by 9 pm this whole weekend under normal use. Anyone else having similar problems?
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

My X shipped today, so should be getting it fairly soon. :scared:
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Loaf31 »

Still waiting for my 2.2 update
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

the wicked child wrote:My X shipped today, so should be getting it fairly soon. :scared:
I love my X.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

i was at bestbuy today and figured i'd go and take a look at the phones. i've been researching them online, but never really saw them in real life. the droid x is freaking huge! like too big for what i think a phone should be. i think i'm going to go droid 2. from everything i've read it has better battery life, just as good as the x and incredible, and i like the sliding qwerty keyboard so i don't have to use touchscreen only.
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Loaf31 »

count2infinity wrote:i was at bestbuy today and figured i'd go and take a look at the phones. i've been researching them online, but never really saw them in real life. the droid x is freaking huge! like too big for what i think a phone should be. i think i'm going to go droid 2. from everything i've read it has better battery life, just as good as the x and incredible, and i like the sliding qwerty keyboard so i don't have to use touchscreen only.
I love my X ......especially for the size....bigger screen was the selling point for me....

I dont think that you could go wrong with any of the three (Droid X, 2, or Incredible)
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Samsung Fascinate looks amazing, coming out this week.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

So my wife loves her VZN Droid X, and I'm kinda partial to the beast myself. We're talking about upgrading our personal phones (Crackberry 8330s for both) to Droids here in a couple months. But I read that VZN is rolling out a whole new network (LTE) to supplant and eventually replace its CDMA network. I'm torn; the CDMA network is crazy reliable - haven't dropped a call in probably four years - but since the U.S. is pretty much the only country using CDMA it makes traveling internationally with your phone a bit of a problem. This LTE network is supposedly a universal standard (or close to it) such that most cellular providers will be LTE within a short period of time.

So here's the dilemma....... do we upgrade now, or wait 6 months or so until Verizon completes its LTE rollout and new LTE-specific phones are available?
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

I think my Storm can sense that it is about to be replaced because it is becoming even more sluggish than usual, and the battery seems to be draining 2x faster as well despite limited use.

Don't think I'm going to miss this.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Okay, spoke to my company's VP of Mobile yesterday about the whole LTE/4G thing.

Verizon will likely have its network upgrade completed by early Q1 2011, and Los Angeles is certainly going to be one of the initial markets. Out VP says that voice communication on 3G devices after the 4G switch will be handled via VOIP, which I think sounds kinda cool but kinda wonky at the same time. Anyway, his advice was that if you can hold out on upgrading a VZN phone until the beginning of next year, that's probably your best bet.

I should also point out that this gentleman is a hardcore - like extreme - Android supporter.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ffemtreed »

Just got an HTV EVO this past weekend!!!! 2.2 rooted!!!!
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Draftnik »

The 2.2 fix is better than the original 2.2, but still weak IMO. Internet is now blazing when Droid is on my wireless network. 2.2 also seems to be capable of multitasking more than 6 simultaneous apps which was the previous limit. I'd had at least 8 running simultaneously with no issues.

Other than that, I give 2.2 :thumbdown:

SMS still seems slower than it was on 2.1 or whatever the previous version was. Music still needs force stopped. Battery life still seems degraded.

I also was going to load Flash since its now on the Android market, but a lot of user comments said it degraded Internet performance with ads even on non-Flash pages so I didn't load it for now.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Got the X... going to take some time to get used to this. Also sucks that as soon as I activated the phone, my Storm lost all ability to connect to the internet... so I can't get at my email settings for work. fun stuff.
Dean Wormer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Dean Wormer »

Draftnik wrote:The 2.2 fix is better than the original 2.2, but still weak IMO. Internet is now blazing when Droid is on my wireless network. 2.2 also seems to be capable of multitasking more than 6 simultaneous apps which was the previous limit. I'd had at least 8 running simultaneously with no issues.

Other than that, I give 2.2 :thumbdown:

SMS still seems slower than it was on 2.1 or whatever the previous version was. Music still needs force stopped. Battery life still seems degraded.

I also was going to load Flash since its now on the Android market, but a lot of user comments said it degraded Internet performance with ads even on non-Flash pages so I didn't load it for now.
I completely agree. My first OTA update to 2.2 was garbage. Made the phone close to useless. I did a reset and now it's better but still not great. Battery life sucks. Charges really slow on top of it. I've had the same messaging problems too. I use Handcent and thought maybe that was the issue but it's just the phone itself. The addition of more bloatware too is very annoying.

Great phone made worse by a terrible update.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by knives of ice »

all you have to do with flash is go into settings and set it to on demand and that will fix your problems. then when you are on a site that needs flash you can click and use it when you want.

http://lifehacker.com/5632782/how-flash ... roid-phone" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

check that article.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Digging the X so far. Web surfing is infinitely better thanthe Storm.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Okay.... so music and video... maybe it's just me, but I can't figure out anyway to make a setlist. Am I missing something, or do I need to download an app?
freq019
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by freq019 »

Ordered a samsung captivate from amazon. I haven't received it yet, it was supposed to come on friday but some numbnut at UPS forgot to put in on the truck :evil: But I should get it on Monday.

I'm looking forward to rooting and removing the ATT Bloatware
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Also.... how do I uninstall apps? I tried downloading a couple media players and both just freeze whenever I try to actually play anything.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Okay. So I figured out how to uninstall apps, as well as making a playlist of songs... though I can't say it's super efficient.

From what I read Act 1 is supposed to be good for video... can anyone confirm/deny this? I d/l the trial and it seems like at the least it would create a playlist, which is a start.
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Ben Klingston »

Does anyone know if there is an option on turning off/customizing the auto-correct when composing a text or email on the Droid X? Half the time I try to type something in slang or proper nouns, it tries to autocorrect and ends up making it worse. I'd rather have a few misspelled words every once in a while.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I'm starting to hate my enV3. It likes to just turn off when I close it. Not sure why, but I have 5 months till my contract is ready to renew and i'm ready for a new phone.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Ben Klingston wrote:Does anyone know if there is an option on turning off/customizing the auto-correct when composing a text or email on the Droid X? Half the time I try to type something in slang or proper nouns, it tries to autocorrect and ends up making it worse. I'd rather have a few misspelled words every once in a while.
Looks to me like you can turn it off under language/keyboard settings if you're not using swype. I don't recall even getting the auto-correct stuff while using swype though. (it's the last option under multi-touch keyboard settings)