How many of you own a droid?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: How many of you own a droid?

Post by ulf »

knives of ice wrote:
stopper40 wrote:Anyone have any opinions on a good antitheft droid app?

thanks
Mobile Defense
I use lookout, it's also antivirus. When you lose it, you can go online and the gps will find it an and alarm will sound on the phone. Granted, they can remove the app, so just make sure you have the screen passcode pattern thing activated.
tperko
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by tperko »

Lifehacker's list of the Best Android Apps

http://lifehacker.com/5616299/lifehacke ... e=true&s=i
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Okay... those of you who also get your work email on your phones... is the $45 data plan really necessary? I don't recall any of this multiple plan BS back when I got my Storm a couple years ago.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Thanks for the help. :pop:

Anyway, from what I've read, most people do not need the corporate plan, which is good because I don't really feel like shelling out an extra $15 a month for the convenience of receiving work emails on the go.

Long ass wait for the X now though, so will be awhile till I get it most likely.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

I bought my Droid X on Amazon. Had it the next day.

Texting is SLOW though. Even bringing up the text app takes forever. I guess it's because I have so many facebook contacts but with a PITA. I hope they fix that issue soon. I love everything about the phone except that.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

the wicked child wrote:Okay... those of you who also get your work email on your phones... is the $45 data plan really necessary? I don't recall any of this multiple plan BS back when I got my Storm a couple years ago.
Blackberry would get your email address from any acocunt to push to your phone, the only difference really between the BIS which is $30 and the BES which $45 is BIS does not sync your calendar, contacts or tasks. But with BES you give up control of your phone to some degree to your companies server.

Most exchange servers can be accessed through an IMAP setup, I can access one of my jobs email through google over IMAP so if you can get that information you can go with the $30 plan. If you have to go through exchange then you might need the $45 plan.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

I'm pretty sure we don't have the BES. I had to use the blackberry desktop software to sync my calendar and such as well.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

The Spousal Unit just took delivery of her Droid X from her company for her work phone. Looks beastly and cool, and we're already talking about each getting one for our personal phones.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

So yea, the Droid X who has it and what do they love/hate about it?
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

i just got an offer from verizon to upgrade now for a "reduced price". It'd be $200 for a new 2 year contract and a droid 2 or droid incredible. 2 questions:

1. Which one would be better? Droid 2 or Droid incredible? (i'm sure either one is an upgrade from the piece of crap EnV touch i have now)
2. Do you think it'd be cheaper to wait 5 months to when i'm eligible for a new phone? or would it be the same price to do it now?

thanks for the help
RJW76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by RJW76 »

count2infinity wrote:i just got an offer from verizon to upgrade now for a "reduced price". It'd be $200 for a new 2 year contract and a droid 2 or droid incredible. 2 questions:

1. Which one would be better? Droid 2 or Droid incredible? (i'm sure either one is an upgrade from the piece of crap EnV touch i have now)
2. Do you think it'd be cheaper to wait 5 months to when i'm eligible for a new phone? or would it be the same price to do it now?

thanks for the help
I don't know about the Droid 2 but I love the Incredible. I don't think you'll be sorry with either one
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

Finally got the Flash Upgrade today. I'm listening to Stan and Guy off the ESPN site as I type this.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Finally got the Flash Upgrade today. I'm listening to Stan and Guy off the ESPN site as I type this.
haven't gotten my upgrade yet
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Malkamaniac wrote:So yea, the Droid X who has it and what do they love/hate about it?
Swype rulez and cats droll.
Diddy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Diddy »

Droid X: We just got a tester Droid X this week to test out at my company. At first my emotions were mixed as we had issues getting the Exchange (mail, calendar, and contacts) to sync up.

After some tweaking on our server and on the device itself, we got it working and now I'm really starting to like it. I'm unsure if the problem was due to our Exchange server or the device itself. If you google Droid X and Exchange you'll see that the Droid X has alot of issues with Exchange. These are supposedly fixed in the 2.2 Froyo update which is due early this month but nothing official will support this claim.

Boom.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by knives of ice »

if you have the Droid X get rid of that MotoBlur garbage and use Launcher PRO or ADW launcher....so so much better.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

"Flash on Android Is Shockingly Bad":
http://newteevee.com/2010/08/31/video-f ... ingly-bad/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Strongly thinking about a Droid 2.
Can someone comment on this?
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

I get my 2.1 upgrade at the end of this month. I hate waiting.

Edit: As I mentioned get the shop savvy app. Was awesome in helping me get books for school.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

columbia wrote:"Flash on Android Is Shockingly Bad":
http://newteevee.com/2010/08/31/video-f ... ingly-bad/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Strongly thinking about a Droid 2.
Can someone comment on this?
I had the same "slide show effect" while trying to watch that Conan video that was posted. I don't think I'll be watching too much video on my phone anyways since it really seems to drain the battery.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Draftnik »

I doubt Adobe has finished a good production version of Flash for Android. I received my Froyo (Android 2.2) upgrade a few weeks ago and when I go to load flash the Adobe site says it will be available for Android "later this summer". Isn't the Nexus One the actual Google phone? I don't think too many of those sold. They probably don't have the tight release control of a mature provider like Verizon. I'd guess the plurality of Android users are on the original Droid, so that will probably be the true test to see what Adobe's production version of Flash is like on Android.

As an aside, I think the 2.2 upgrade has been a step back. My SMS messages take longer to load, my battery seems to be draining faster, I can't close the music app with advanced task killer (I have to force close), and I think the web performance has been degraded. There is probably some other stuff I can't remember off the top of my head.

The first 2 updates were major advances, but this one has been a dud.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

I have definitely noticed that my battery quickly dies ever since the 2.2 upgrade.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

Even with app killer and all of that?
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I'm actually amazed how long my iPhone battery lasts. There is not a noticeable difference coming from a standard phone....naturally if you are using apps it goes down faster, but it charges fast as well
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Draftnik »

Malkamaniac wrote:Even with app killer and all of that?
I have ATK auto kill level set to "Crazy" and frequency set to "when screen off." My screen timeout is set to the minimum, 15 seconds so I'm not sure what else I should be doing to maximize battery life.

I'm tempted to root it to stop the idiotic auto-loading apps, but I'm not very technical and don't want to deal with the consequences of something going wrong. I prefer to deal with software that is release controlled.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

Just watched flash on an htc evo. It worked pretty darn well. Dunno why the other ones aren't working right.