How many of you own a droid?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: How many of you own a droid?

Post by pittsoccer33 »

cheesesteakwithegg wrote:2 questions...

1. I have the original (moto) droid. When 2.2 comes out for it, will it just be an update that is sent to my phone like all of my other updates (for apps)?

2. I got my moto droid back in April. What are the newer models capable of that the original one isnt? Granted, I love my phone and really dont know what else it could do. I am just curious for my next go-around.
It should just be sent to your phone as an update. One day you'll have a message asking you to install the update and thats all

The smartphones now are almost like PCs. They are all running the same operating system, just like a Windows PC is. The main differences are in the hardware, and the operating system updates are basically telling android how to use that hardware.

I am still using 1.6. As far as I know, I can use all the apps someone running a Droid X can, but I don't have multi touch, I don't have hd resolutions or an hd camcorder, I don't have HDMI outputs. Its hardware based stuff that you're limited on. I've thought of upgrading to a newer phone, but I like my keyboard too much I don't want to learn a new one. I don't feel like I'm missing out on any software features my phone cannot do.
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Ben Klingston »

the wicked child wrote:So I just saw the X in person for the first time and I have serious concerns about carrying it... How are those who've made the plunge handling it?
Here's what I did, from earlier in the thread. I get mine later this week.
Ben Klingston wrote:The biggest question for me was whether it was too big. This is where I really went overboard in my evaluation - since you can't actually get a good feel for how 'big' a phone is in terms of putting it in your pocket/etc. in the store, I made a couple cardboard cutouts of the size of the X and the Incredible and kept them in my pocket for a while. While the weight obviously wasn't representative, I didn't really notice the X being 'too big' taking it in and out of my pockets. I'm kind of proud/ashamed that I took it this far, but with something as important for feel as the cell phone, I didn't want to commit without really trying that aspect. I also didn't feel like I was holding a 1980's walki-talkie when holding it up to my ear to talk. So the felt-OK-size, plus the keyboard, camera/video all in one sold me.
Spikey
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Spikey »

Loaf31 wrote:
Spikey wrote:This is probably a simple question...how do I get it to stop going "Drooooid" every time I get an email? I checked in sound settings under notification ringtone and it doesn't give me a silent option.
You need to go into your email account on your phone. Hit the button on the left side and get into message options, there you can set your notifications to silent
Got it, thanks! :D
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

i had a sidekick 2, which was slightly larger than the droid x. I never thought too much about its size, which was enormous when most people had a razr. the size was never even a consideration to me, it worked fine as a phone and had a very easy to type on keyboard
Spikey
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Spikey »

Going to flip. I googled how to move some music to my phone and when I follow the directions to hit "Media Share" it tells me the memory card is missing. :scared:
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

Ben: Did you ever get your phone?
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Ben Klingston »

Hockeynut! wrote:Ben: Did you ever get your phone?
Yeah, got it earlier this week. Just activated it last night. I've pretty much got the basics of the phone down. Now I need to explore the world of apps, which is new to me, to decide if there is anything worthwhile for my use.

For others - any advice on covers/skins? I don't really want anything 'different' looking. Just want something that offers some protection and isn't too 'grippy' that would be a problem sliding it in and out of a pocket. Actually, after looking at a few of the cases/skins in the store - do these really offer any protection other than cosmetic scratches to the phone (which can also be prevented with the clear plastic adhesive covers)? I'm not really digging the silicon or hard plactic snap on cases, and don 't really want to get one unless the offer real protection against damage when dropped.
Last edited by Ben Klingston on Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Just another example of a warped twisted sick mind that is out there hiding behind a keyboard.

Post by jaysmiter »

So, because of my impatience, I manually installed the Froyo update on my original droid...

WOW, what a difference.

This thing is silky smooth now...AND HAS TWO MORE SCREENS!

Problem is, I'm just not sure what to put on those screens now because I've dealt with 3 for so long.
MikeEnIke
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by MikeEnIke »

jaysmiter wrote:So, because of my impatience, I manually installed the Froyo update on my original droid...

WOW, what a difference.

This thing is silky smooth now...AND HAS TWO MORE SCREENS!

Problem is, I'm just not sure what to put on those screens now because I've dealt with 3 for so long.
Get LauncherPro noob. You can even go 7 screens if you want.
stlcity

Post by stlcity »

Droid 2 out today..
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

My Moto Droid received the 2.2 system update this morning. I'm not sure if Flash has been installed yet. Animated gifs are working now, but I am unable to listen to online radio on the WDVE and 93.7 the Fan websites. A message pops up saying that Flash 10.1 will be coming soon if 2.2 has been installed on your phone.

So far I have noticed that two additional screens are available, and a shortcut bar has been added to the bottom of the front screen that gives you access to your phone, apps, and the internet. Browsing speed seems a lot faster too.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by knives of ice »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:My Moto Droid received the 2.2 system update this morning. I'm not sure if Flash has been installed yet. Animated gifs are working now, but I am unable to listen to online radio on the WDVE and 93.7 the Fan websites. A message pops up saying that Flash 10.1 will be coming soon if 2.2 has been installed on your phone.

So far I have noticed that two additional screens are available, and a shortcut bar has been added to the bottom of the front screen that gives you access to your phone, apps, and the internet. Browsing speed seems a lot faster too.
Go into the market and download flash
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

What notepad program would anyone recommend for use on a droid?
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Draftnik »

My Droid Firmware is still 2.1 update 1. My status when checking for updates also claims my system is currently up to date.
neophool
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by neophool »

droid bad. iphone good. ok bye.
RJW76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by RJW76 »

neophool wrote:droid bad. iphone good. ok bye.
Droid fine, iphone overrated. laterhosen.
Firebird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Firebird »

stopper40 wrote:What notepad program would anyone recommend for use on a droid?
AK Notepad
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

Firebird wrote:
stopper40 wrote:What notepad program would anyone recommend for use on a droid?
AK Notepad

Thanks. That's the one I downloaded this afternoon actually
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

RJW76 wrote:
neophool wrote:droid bad. iphone good. ok bye.
Droid fine, iphone overrated. laterhosen.

Funny I was showing a woman I work with my Incredible, she now wants to get rid of he Iphone. I liked the eris, I love this one.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

I think either way, I'm dumping my blackberry and either getting a Droid, or Iphone(if engadget's cdma rumored Iphone really are true)
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Malkamaniac wrote:I think either way, I'm dumping my blackberry and either getting a Droid, or Iphone(if engadget's cdma rumored Iphone really are true)
Same boat here, I am not pleased at all that the Storm 2 is not getting BB 6, but reading reviews of the Torch it looks like RIM laid an egg and released a phone that is more outdated than the Palm Pre.

I have some upgrades in the early spring, if a CDMA or dare I dream an LTE verison of the iPhone is near I'll be getting that, otherwise Android it will be. I will not go to AT&T though, their 3G coverage absolutely blows compared to Verizon. No coverage between Charlotte and Columbia down I-77 and then none between Columbia and Savannah. Also nothing north of Greensboro in southern VA. Verizon? Full bars of 3G the entire trip around the Southeast.

There should be some Android data-only tablets this winter when LTE is rolled out, there is a rumored Motorola-FIOS tablet among them.
neophool
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by neophool »

cdma iphone in jan, hopefully its for US verizon.
MikeEnIke
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by MikeEnIke »

Droid > iPhone for me - like what you want, but I love my droid.
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Just another example of a warped twisted sick mind that is out there hiding behind a keyboard.

Post by jaysmiter »

MikeEnIke wrote:Droid > iPhone for me - like what you want, but I love my droid.
/agree

People just want an iphone because it's an iphone. It really isn't better than any of the android phones out there.
MikeEnIke
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by MikeEnIke »

jaysmiter wrote:
MikeEnIke wrote:Droid > iPhone for me - like what you want, but I love my droid.
/agree

People just want an iphone because it's an iphone. It really isn't better than any of the android phones out there.
Plus, I love my widgets. Couldn't imagine not having them.