How many of you own a droid?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Spikey
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: How many of you own a droid?

Post by Spikey »

Anyone know why my computer wouldn't be recognizing my phone when I plug in the USB? It's not showing up under removable devices. This is my work laptop so it's a total dinosaur and I'm wondering if maybe that has something to do with it. I haven't tried it on my laptop at home yet.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

- on the top of your phone's screen near your USB icon, drag that top info/notifications area down.

- tap on USB connected select to copy files to/from your computer

- then select mount
Spikey
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Spikey »

pittsoccer33 wrote:- on the top of your phone's screen near your USB icon, drag that top info/notifications area down.

- tap on USB connected select to copy files to/from your computer

- then select mount
That's the thing, it's not even recognizing that I have it plugged into the PC. When I pull down the menu and touch USB connection it gives me four options: PC Mode, Windows Media Sync, USB Mass Storage, or Charge only. Nothing about mounting.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

hmm im just going by my phone (the original G1). never saw those choices. im guessing you've tried them all? USB Mass Storage seems like the one I'd go with first.

do you have an SD card installed in it? dumb question but thats the only other reason I can think of without know much about your specific phone.
Spikey
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Spikey »

pittsoccer33 wrote:hmm im just going by my phone (the original G1). never saw those choices. im guessing you've tried them all? USB Mass Storage seems like the one I'd go with first.

do you have an SD card installed in it? dumb question but thats the only other reason I can think of without know much about your specific phone.
It's a brand new Droid X right out of the box so I assume it has an SD card? I dunno. I'm not really good with tech stuff. :lol:

I tried all of them but nothing is happening. Not only can I not copy files, it's not even charging the phone via USB. That's why I thought maybe it was something weird with the computer.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

the SD card is a little chip the size of a finger nail that should be right above your battery when you remove the back cover. i dont remember ever having a new phone where the card was already in the phone when I bought it, so maybe look there.

the other problems could be your USB ports on your pc. at my company, they disable them so we cannot connect drives to them and compromise data.
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Ben Klingston »

Yikes. How long did it take you Droid Xers to get your phone? I ordered mine from the store last Saturday... they told me it'd ship by this past Wednesday (which sounded too good to be true based on the 'will ship by dates on the VZW website). On Wednesday, they told me it'd ship by the 11th. Today it's the 18th. Starting to get a bit nervous. Really want it for a trip in early September.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Ben Klingston wrote:
Kraftster wrote:Just ordered the X tonight at the local vz store. I can't wait. I am blown away by the awesomeness that is Swype. Dealing with another week of the swypeless Storm will be difficult. Its definitely on the border of 'too big', but with swype on there, I'd still buy it if it was a whole inch bigger.
Hmm... is Swype really that good, huh? I was holding off on ordering.... was waiting to see if they were going to drop the price on the Incredible. I was thinking I'd probably get it anyway because of the smaller size, but as texting is one of my bigger needs, if Swype is really that much better, I might have to throw the X back into the mix.
Weird, Ben. I ordered mine 7/28 and it came Wednesday of this week and it wasn't even supposed to ship until Thursday...
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

Spikey wrote:
pittsoccer33 wrote:hmm im just going by my phone (the original G1). never saw those choices. im guessing you've tried them all? USB Mass Storage seems like the one I'd go with first.

It's a brand new Droid X right out of the box so I assume it has an SD card? I dunno. I'm not really good with tech stuff. :lol:

I tried all of them but nothing is happening. Not only can I not copy files, it's not even charging the phone via USB. That's why I thought maybe it was something weird with the computer.
Probably your computer if it won't even recognize the phone. The drivers should load automatically for the computer to see it when you plug it in ... and that's when you would have the choice to mount it/put it in mass storage mode etc.
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Ben Klingston »

Kraftster wrote:
Ben Klingston wrote:
Kraftster wrote:Just ordered the X tonight at the local vz store. I can't wait. I am blown away by the awesomeness that is Swype. Dealing with another week of the swypeless Storm will be difficult. Its definitely on the border of 'too big', but with swype on there, I'd still buy it if it was a whole inch bigger.
Hmm... is Swype really that good, huh? I was holding off on ordering.... was waiting to see if they were going to drop the price on the Incredible. I was thinking I'd probably get it anyway because of the smaller size, but as texting is one of my bigger needs, if Swype is really that much better, I might have to throw the X back into the mix.
Weird, Ben. I ordered mine 7/28 and it came Wednesday of this week and it wasn't even supposed to ship until Thursday...
Yeah, i dunno. Did the FedEx delivery require signature confirmation? That will be the next issue - since I won't be at home during the day for delivery. I'm going to try and leave the FedEx guy a note telling him to just leave it in my mail box, but I need to know when it ships to do so, and the only way to check on that is by calling customer service (apparently can't track in-store orders via the VZW website).
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Ben Klingston wrote:
Kraftster wrote:
Ben Klingston wrote: see if they were going to drop the price on the Incredible. I was thinking I'd probably get it anyway because of the smaller size, but as texting is one of my bigger needs, if Swype is really that much better, I might have to throw the X back into the mix.
Yeah, i dunno. Did the FedEx delivery require signature confirmation? That will be the next issue - since I won't be at home during the day for delivery. I'm going to try and leave the FedEx guy a note telling him to just leave it in my mail box, but I need to know when it ships to do so, and the only way to check on that is by calling customer service (apparently can't track in-store orders via the VZW website).
thuy will leav esomthing for yhou to sign to ge thte phone the following day. just waitch for it.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

So I just saw the X in person for the first time and I have serious concerns about carrying it... How are those who've made the plunge handling it?
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

the wicked child wrote:So I just saw the X in person for the first time and I have serious concerns about carrying it... How are those who've made the plunge handling it?
I carry mine in my pocket without issues.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Draftnik »

Is my original Droid obsolete already? I just bought it in November. Cell phones become dinosaurs faster than computers. Also, what is up with Android 2.2 or Froyo? It was supposed to be released in late June for the original Droid. I want Flash capabilities that Froyo will allegedly enable.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Draftnik wrote:Is my original Droid obsolete already? I just bought it in November. Cell phones become dinosaurs faster than computers. Also, what is up with Android 2.2 or Froyo? It was supposed to be released in late June for the original Droid. I want Flash capabilities that Froyo will allegedly enable.
2.2 will officially be released for the Droid later this summer, I know the date keeps changing but it will happen. The only thing Verizon has said the Droid 2 will do different is adding in the mobile hotspot. They say it's a hardware issue, I'm sure hackers will release soemthing if it can be done on the Droid 1.
jwienand
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by jwienand »

I have an Env Touch now with unlimited data... To get a Droid w/ unlimited data is going to cost me another 20 a month!!! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
MikeEnIke
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by MikeEnIke »

jwienand wrote:I have an Env Touch now with unlimited data... To get a Droid w/ unlimited data is going to cost me another 20 a month!!! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Yea, but moving from an enV Touch to a Droid Incredible was awesome for me. Worth all the money.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

jwienand wrote:I have an Env Touch now with unlimited data... To get a Droid w/ unlimited data is going to cost me another 20 a month!!! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Did you get grandfathered in? Because now both are $29.99.
jwienand
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by jwienand »

DelPen wrote:
Did you get grandfathered in? Because now both are $29.99.
Yeah that's what they told me so now I don't want to change even more.
Spikey
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Spikey »

I ended up downloading the drivers to be able to charge my phone/transfer files to it so I'm all set there. Weird that they didn't download automatically when you plug the phone into the PC.
Spikey
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Spikey »

This is probably a simple question...how do I get it to stop going "Drooooid" every time I get an email? I checked in sound settings under notification ringtone and it doesn't give me a silent option.
Dean Wormer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Dean Wormer »

Draftnik wrote:Is my original Droid obsolete already? I just bought it in November. Cell phones become dinosaurs faster than computers. Also, what is up with Android 2.2 or Froyo? It was supposed to be released in late June for the original Droid. I want Flash capabilities that Froyo will allegedly enable.
It's not obsolete. They're not going to sell them anymore, but the original Droid will still receive software updates when available, like 2.2 which should be out any day now I hear. Verizon just doesn't want to offer it for sale anymore because the only way to make it worthwhile at this point would be to discount it a crazy amount.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

speaking of selling phones at a discount, heres a breakdown on what the Nexus One actually costs to build:

http://www.isuppli.com/teardowns-manufa ... veals.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

less than $175.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by cheesesteakwithegg »

2 questions...

1. I have the original (moto) droid. When 2.2 comes out for it, will it just be an update that is sent to my phone like all of my other updates (for apps)?

2. I got my moto droid back in April. What are the newer models capable of that the original one isnt? Granted, I love my phone and really dont know what else it could do. I am just curious for my next go-around.
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Loaf31 »

Spikey wrote:This is probably a simple question...how do I get it to stop going "Drooooid" every time I get an email? I checked in sound settings under notification ringtone and it doesn't give me a silent option.
You need to go into your email account on your phone. Hit the button on the left side and get into message options, there you can set your notifications to silent