How many of you own a droid?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: How many of you own a droid?

Post by Ben Klingston »

Dean Wormer wrote:Now that there is the "one click" root available for the Incredible trhough Unrevoked3, what are the benefits to rooting your phone? I'm thinking about it but I'm still not totally sure what it exactly entails.
I have a followup question: What is 'rooting'?

<= newb to the smartphone lingo
Firebird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Firebird »

rooting in laymans terms allows you to access to boot sequence.

which in turn allows you more control over programs and the system processes.

So, you can do things like overclock your processor
MikeEnIke
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by MikeEnIke »

Firebird wrote:rooting in laymans terms allows you to access to boot sequence.

Yea, kinda.

Rooting is gaining administrative access to your phone. It bypasses those things that Google locks away in the operating system so you don't hurt your phone. If you know what you're doing it can be awesome to root. My Incredible is rooted and I'm running and undervolted kernel that helps with battery life, I erased some of the bloatware with the phone (CityID, Peep, Footprints, etc..), you can install custom ROMs that can remove HTC Sense if you aren't a fan.

It even allows WIFI tethering (think those little MIFI devices Verizon makes) or let's you use the back LEDs as a flashlight.
Fast B
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Fast B »

Hehe. I think you need to rethink your definition of "laymans terms". ;)
Dean Wormer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Dean Wormer »

MikeEnIke wrote:

Yea, kinda.

Rooting is gaining administrative access to your phone. It bypasses those things that Google locks away in the operating system so you don't hurt your phone. If you know what you're doing it can be awesome to root. My Incredible is rooted and I'm running and undervolted kernel that helps with battery life, I erased some of the bloatware with the phone (CityID, Peep, Footprints, etc..), you can install custom ROMs that can remove HTC Sense if you aren't a fan.

It even allows WIFI tethering (think those little MIFI devices Verizon makes) or let's you use the back LEDs as a flashlight.
So is it worth it for me to root my Incredible? I know my way around technology but I'm by no means capable of code or anything along those lines. I would love to get some of the crap like CityID off my phone but I'm not going to be overclocking my CPU. I'm happy with the way my phone is running now with HTC Sense and don't see a large need to change that but the additional control is a plus.
stlcity

Post by stlcity »

Here is a good way to learn everything u need to know about rooting:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid- ... sking.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It has its own risks. As long as u are aware of it and know what u are doing, rooting opens endless doors to customize the phone.. :D
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Just ordered the X tonight at the local vz store. I can't wait. I am blown away by the awesomeness that is Swype. Dealing with another week of the swypeless Storm will be difficult. Its definitely on the border of 'too big', but with swype on there, I'd still buy it if it was a whole inch bigger.
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Ben Klingston »

Kraftster wrote:Just ordered the X tonight at the local vz store. I can't wait. I am blown away by the awesomeness that is Swype. Dealing with another week of the swypeless Storm will be difficult. Its definitely on the border of 'too big', but with swype on there, I'd still buy it if it was a whole inch bigger.
Hmm... is Swype really that good, huh? I was holding off on ordering.... was waiting to see if they were going to drop the price on the Incredible. I was thinking I'd probably get it anyway because of the smaller size, but as texting is one of my bigger needs, if Swype is really that much better, I might have to throw the X back into the mix.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Ben Klingston wrote:
Kraftster wrote:Just ordered the X tonight at the local vz store. I can't wait. I am blown away by the awesomeness that is Swype. Dealing with another week of the swypeless Storm will be difficult. Its definitely on the border of 'too big', but with swype on there, I'd still buy it if it was a whole inch bigger.
Hmm... is Swype really that good, huh? I was holding off on ordering.... was waiting to see if they were going to drop the price on the Incredible. I was thinking I'd probably get it anyway because of the smaller size, but as texting is one of my bigger needs, if Swype is really that much better, I might have to throw the X back into the mix.
I was just surprised how quickly I picked it up as I read a lot of people say it takes some getting used to. I am sure you get faster with time, but, its already much faster than typing on the keyboard (I'm coming from a Storm). Given that I type a lot of emails on my phone and I really can't do physical keyboards that well, I was only looking at touch stuff. I think I'll fly through emails on this thing. Small words I guess you don't save too much time, but, 'pittsburgh' for example, just swypes so easily. That's where I really noticed a difference with longer words like that. I can't imagine swype not catching on and replacing "traditional" texting entirely.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by npv708 »

Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Ben Klingston »

Kraftster wrote:I was just surprised how quickly I picked it up as I read a lot of people say it takes some getting used to. I am sure you get faster with time, but, its already much faster than typing on the keyboard (I'm coming from a Storm). Given that I type a lot of emails on my phone and I really can't do physical keyboards that well, I was only looking at touch stuff. I think I'll fly through emails on this thing. Small words I guess you don't save too much time, but, 'pittsburgh' for example, just swypes so easily. That's where I really noticed a difference with longer words like that. I can't imagine swype not catching on and replacing "traditional" texting entirely.
Well, I'm coming from texting on this

Yes, I could be in one of those 'phone shame' commercials, but this thing has been a friggin' tank.
Spikey
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Spikey »

I ordered my X last night and it's supposed to ship by 8/5, so hopefully I'll have it in about a week. I'm a little nervous that it's going to be too big for me because I've never actually seen one in person, but I went with it over the Incredible because it has longer battery life/standby time and I'm constantly forgetting to charge my phone, and because it has more memory.

I'm excited about Swype, though I'm not sure I understand exactly how it works.
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Loaf31 »

Swype is awesome. I thought that I would hate it, but I love it. It is very easy to pick up.

Just make surethat you add some words to your dictionary, bc it will not swype some words
Spikey
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Spikey »

What are the best apps for Droid?
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Loaf31 »

Spikey wrote:What are the best apps for Droid?
Pandora and Slacker Radio
Iheartradio
Yahoo music (for the fan)
Google Sky Maps
Layar
Pens App
ESPN Score Center
Key Ring
Shazam
Where's My Droid
Barcode Scanner
Redbox Codes
Spikey
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Spikey »

Thank you! :D
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

I'm trying to decide if I'm too "phone stupid" for a Droid. I'm looking at either a Droid Incredible or a Droid X. Right now I have a Samsung Straight Talk phone which is around $35 a month and gives me more texts, minutes and data than I've ever come close to using. Going with one of the Droids will apparently run me about $100 a month, so I want to make sure I'd really be able to use it enough to make up for the 3x cost difference. I've never used a phone or device with "apps". I'm really uneducated about everything beyond texting - so how complicated would one of these phones be to use? How does it compare to a computer? If anyone wants to give me the "droid for dummies" breakdown, that would be awesome. :)
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Ben Klingston »

Hockeynut! wrote:I'm trying to decide if I'm too "phone stupid" for a Droid. I'm looking at either a Droid Incredible or a Droid X. Right now I have a Samsung Straight Talk phone which is around $35 a month and gives me more texts, minutes and data than I've ever come close to using. Going with one of the Droids will apparently run me about $100 a month, so I want to make sure I'd really be able to use it enough to make up for the 3x cost difference. I've never used a phone or device with "apps". I'm really uneducated about everything beyond texting - so how complicated would one of these phones be to use? How does it compare to a computer? If anyone wants to give me the "droid for dummies" breakdown, that would be awesome. :)
I could have written the above post word-for-word (see my earlier post on this page for my 'current' phone....).

I will likely never root or use a Droid to its full capabilities, but I've been told by friends who have iPhone, smartphones that they said the same, until they got their new phones.

I ordered the X yesterday, after going back and forth between a Blackberry, Incredible, and the X. I really had only used my previous phones for talking and texting, and hadn't cared for the physical hard qwerty keyboards or touchscreens of newer phones. I probably would have gotten used to them, but just trying them for a few minutes in the store was frustrating.... every third letter I typed was wrong. The Incredible was the first touchscreen keyboard I tried that actually felt pretty good right away in the store. Then I tried the X, which is significantly bigger screen/keyboard (with Swype, which seems pretty cool), making typing that much easier. The biggest question for me was whether it was too big. This is where I really went overboard in my evaluation - since you can't actually get a good feel for how 'big' a phone is in terms of putting it in your pocket/etc. in the store, I made a couple cardboard cutouts of the size of the X and the Incredible and kept them in my pocket for a while. While the weight obviously wasn't representative, I didn't really notice the X being 'too big' taking it in and out of my pockets. I'm kind of proud/ashamed that I took it this far, but with something as important for feel as the cell phone, I didn't want to commit without really trying that aspect. I also didn't feel like I was holding a 1980's walki-talkie when holding it up to my ear to talk. So the felt-OK-size, plus the keyboard, camera/video all in one sold me.

I'm sure I won't ever utilize the X to it's full capabilities, but that's OK with me. I'm not too worried about being 'phone stupid' as long as I can use the phone, text, browser, mobile email, gps navi, anything else is a bonus. I'm making some other cuts in my budget so the extra data plan will balance out. Verizon's non-data plan phones are getting less and less of a selection, so it was just a matter of time till I made the jump.

I think I may have made the biggest quantum leap from one phone to another in the history of cell phones. The salesperson literally jumped back when I pulled out the old Motorola tank I'm upgrading from. :lol:
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Where the eff is the 'Enter' key on the Droid X keyboard???
RJW76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by RJW76 »

[quote="Loaf31"][quote="Spikey"]What are the best apps for Droid?[/quote]

Pandora and Slacker Radio
Iheartradio
Yahoo music (for the fan)
Google Sky Maps
Layar
Pens App
ESPN Score Center
Key Ring
Shazam
Where's My Droid
Barcode Scanner
Redbox Codes[/quote]

I like most of these except iheartradio

Also try:

Stitcher (tons of podcasts and talk radio shows)
Livescore (preferred over ESPN Scorecenter)
Hockeynews
Advance task killer
Fandango
Facebook :pop:
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ulf »

i miss my droid. here's my australian phone while i'me here ugh
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

ulf wrote:i miss my droid. here's my australian phone while i'me here ugh
:shock:

Did they send you back to 2001?
:pop:
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

DROIIIIIIID
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ulf »

stopper40 wrote:
ulf wrote:i miss my droid. here's my australian phone while i'me here ugh
:shock:

Did they send you back to 2001?
:pop:
well, if i was judging based on the music i hear when i go out/the phone i got, i would say yes.

funny story actually. mine is pink. the chick at the store told me that's all they had left, and then sold my two friends blue phones. eff that.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

What notepad program would anyone recommend for a droid. I have Sweetnotes and I don't like it.

Thanks