How many of you own a droid?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: How many of you own a droid?

Post by columbia »

Firebird wrote: I think that chart is wrong though. Nearly sure that Droid X has a LED flash. And i know both run at 1ghz, not 750mhz.
Yeah, I see what you mean about the X over the 2.

Thanks!
Firebird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Firebird »

columbia wrote:
Firebird wrote: I think that chart is wrong though. Nearly sure that Droid X has a LED flash. And i know both run at 1ghz, not 750mhz.
Yeah, I see what you mean about the X over the 2.

Thanks!
I'd prefer not to have the qwerty keyboard (I know some people who love it though). And the HDMI is a plus. Show off. Record something outside, then plug it into the TV of the house youre in. Or put a movie on your phone and plug it into a TV and watch the movie in HD.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by knives of ice »

Firebird wrote:
knives of ice wrote:the multitouch typing is worthless. its still nowhere near as good as swype.

the droid x has some impressive specs but i still wouldn't trade the evo 4g for anything just can't wait for htc to release the damn source code so the developers can really make some amazing roms for rooted phones.

take your pick

yes, i'm well aware Sir. i use the multi touch keyboard from the droid x on my evo now and i'm just saying its nothing special and not better than Swype which i think many people will use if they give it a chance. its great to have the option though for sure.

any device that is rooted once the source code is out will be able to do a ton more. we will get an amazing Froyo port for the evo way before Sprint ever gets around to putting it out once source is out, not to mention Gingerbread which they are saying should be out in October I believe from today's reports. overclocking to the extreme, fixing the garbage software restrictions that HTC put on the evo for fps. making HDMI out available for eveyrthing from homescreen and all apps (right now you can only use hdmi out for videos, youtube and the gallery) essentially with hdmi out for everything you could use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse and some may use it as a netbook type setup. for me it would be good to use slingplayer with hdmi out on some occasions.

droid x is an awesome device.... just not worth double the monthly charge going from sprint to verizon not to mention the loss of 4g which is amazing if its in your area.
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Loaf31 »

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/01/moto ... -x-review/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Moto X review
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Loaf31 »

Pre-ordered my X on Thurs morning at midnight...... Waiting for it to arrive
MikeEnIke
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by MikeEnIke »

Just rooted my Incredible. Love my phone.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

Was at Verizon store last night and the Droid X sample wasn't working so I didn't get to check it out.

Rep said they are hearing 2 years for iPhone, so I should look at the X anyway, since it's "just an iPhone in disguise.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

blackjack68 wrote:Was at Verizon store last night and the Droid X sample wasn't working so I didn't get to check it out.

Rep said they are hearing 2 years for iPhone, so I should look at the X anyway, since it's "just an iPhone in disguise.
thats what i'd say too if i were trying to get you to sign a 2 year agreement.

i still rock the G1. I like the keyboard too much to upgrade it. I haven't noticed that I'm missing out on much, except the processor on the phone is noticably slower and definitely showing its age.
MikeEnIke
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by MikeEnIke »

pittsoccer33 wrote:
blackjack68 wrote:Was at Verizon store last night and the Droid X sample wasn't working so I didn't get to check it out.

thats what i'd say too if i were trying to get you to sign a 2 year agreement.

i still rock the G1. I like the keyboard too much to upgrade it. I haven't noticed that I'm missing out on much, except the processor on the phone is noticably slower and definitely showing its age.
A Droid 2 is supposed to be coming out soon with the keyboard, may want to look into that.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

yea that whole Iphone to Verizon in 2 years is a perfect commit now, and get the Iphone when it comes. Only to make you renew for the phone you actually wanted if it comes out in the year lol.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

Malkamaniac wrote:yea that whole Iphone to Verizon in 2 years is a perfect commit now, and get the Iphone when it comes. Only to make you renew for the phone you actually wanted if it comes out in the year lol.
That's kind of how I figured it too. My "New Every Two" is up in October, so I'm torn.
Spikey
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Spikey »

I'm eligible for an upgrade as of 7/28 and I was going to go with the X for sure even though I'll probably have to wait a while for it, but now I'm thinking about going with the Incredible instead because of this:
So, let's just save you a bit of time from the outset: the Droid X is an imposing device, and it's definitely not for the small of hands. Makes no mistake, this is a big phone designed for use by big people. Well, not necessarily "big," but let's just say you're going to have a tough go of it if you're the kind of person that struggles to find a ball at the bowling alley where you can reach all the holes.
Could have been written specifically about me - I have the hands of a carnie. All I really care about (aside from the obvious calling and texting) is internet speed, a few apps, camera, and maybe on rare occasions using it for video. Am I really going to be losing a lot by going Incredible instead?
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

Got my Droid X today from work. Love it so far. Incredible is up on ebay ready to be sold. I liked that device too.... even the original Moto Droid I had was solid.

Just love the Android OS, working for VZW does have it's perks sometimes.
MikeEnIke
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by MikeEnIke »

Spikey wrote:I'm eligible for an upgrade as of 7/28 and I was going to go with the X for sure even though I'll probably have to wait a while for it, but now I'm thinking about going with the Incredible instead because of this:
So, let's just save you a bit of time from the outset: the Droid X is an imposing device, and it's definitely not for the small of hands. Makes no mistake, this is a big phone designed for use by big people. Well, not necessarily "big," but let's just say you're going to have a tough go of it if you're the kind of person that struggles to find a ball at the bowling alley where you can reach all the holes.
Could have been written specifically about me - I have the hands of a carnie. All I really care about (aside from the obvious calling and texting) is internet speed, a few apps, camera, and maybe on rare occasions using it for video. Am I really going to be losing a lot by going Incredible instead?
I have tiny hands and I have an incredible. I love my phone, and with all the things you're worrying about you won't see a big difference between the two. They're the same speed, same operating system, and the Incredible is getting an upgrade for 720p video.

Plus, you won't be able to root the X (at least for a while, or easily). The Incredible is already rooted (and so is mine).
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

YOu know what they say about small hands...you might have trouble using a Droid X.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

It's about time they make phones made for hands that can palm a basketball.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

After reading several reviews, it seems like the biggest complaint on the Droid X is the large size. Many suggest the Incredible or waiting for the Droid 2.

(But when is the Droid 2 coming? No one seems to know.)
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

I keep finding out this thing does more and more. Just read that if my phone is lost or stolen I can pin point it with gps using the motoblur account. So **** awesome.
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Loaf31 »

Loving the X, I keep finding new things to do with it.

Also I found an app for 93.7 the Fan......its under the yahoo Radio app
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

All of you with the X, how do you carry it? Holster?

I keep my current phone in shirt or pants pocket, but I would assume the X is too big, especially for pants pockets.
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Loaf31 »

blackjack68 wrote:All of you with the X, how do you carry it? Holster?

I keep my current phone in shirt or pants pocket, but I would assume the X is too big, especially for pants pockets.
I carry it in my pocket. It is a little big but I am anti holster.

I need to find a decent case an screen protector pretty soon before anything happens
neophool
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by neophool »

friend jsut got the Incredible, played with it for a bit, seems really cool. course, i'm still using a samsung flip phone that's 5 years old.
neophool
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by neophool »

i'll add, after playing with a Droid, an Incredible, and an iphone 2nd gen, the iphone (even the old 2nd gen) just seems so much better, classier, easier. BUT - the service and speed of the internet on the Droids is definetely faster/better.
stlcity

Post by stlcity »

For those who care, Droid X got rooted yesterday:

http://alldroid.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Since it has a signed bootloader custom ROMS and kernels are ways away...but this is a step in the positive direction. Now hopefully someone will be able to break open the bootloader.....

Freaking motorola...
Dean Wormer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Dean Wormer »

Now that there is the "one click" root available for the Incredible trhough Unrevoked3, what are the benefits to rooting your phone? I'm thinking about it but I'm still not totally sure what it exactly entails.