Champions League *** Spoiler ***

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Rob UK Pen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Champions League *** Spoiler ***

Post by Rob UK Pen »

Decisions, decisions....

Real Madrid v Arsenal (0-0) on one channel, Bayern v Milan (1-0) on another and PSV v Lyon (0-0) on a third. That and trying to keep up with US v Russia on the BBC. A busy night.... :)
Rob UK Pen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Rob UK Pen »

No change in the scores at half-time.
Rob UK Pen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Rob UK Pen »

Thanks to Henry Arsenal stole a surprise 1-0 win in Madrid, Bayern & Milan drew 1-1, Lyon beat PSV 1-0 and Liverpool lost 1-0 in Benfica.

Chelski - Barcelona tomorrow night.
BritishPenguin

Post by BritishPenguin »

I was surprised at Arsenal's win. Woodgate got injured again - surprise surprise. Newcastle must be laughing all the way to the bank.

Choice of four decent matches tonight, Chelsea - Barca promises to be a good game but will probably deliver little. Rangers - Villarreal might be an interesting match.
Rob UK Pen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Rob UK Pen »

It's Chelsea - Barca for me tonight, that and the hockey (presuming it's on BBC interactive of course).
Rob UK Pen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Rob UK Pen »

Del Horno sent off for Chelsea after 39mins. Score remains at 0-0.
BritishPenguin

Post by BritishPenguin »

Rangers are 2-1 down at Villarreal. Ajax are surprisingly beating Inter, and the same goes for Werder Bremen who are beating Juventus.

It appears that again, this year's competition may yet be won by another outsider.
Rob UK Pen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Rob UK Pen »

I'm not so sure. Liverpool are only 1-0 down with the home leg to play, Arsenal are one up, albeit on Real Madrid, again with the home leg left. Chelsea are still at 0-0. There's plenty of time to go. :)

I'm just struggling keeping pace again tonight. The BBC now has both Canada v Russia and the Czechs v Slovakia, and of course Sky has the Champions League. Plus I think the men are stilling battling it out in the curling!
Rob UK Pen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Rob UK Pen »

Final scores:
Ajax and Inter draw 2-2
Chelsea get beaten 2-1 by Barcelona with 2 late goals
Rangers draw with Villarreal 2-2
Werder Bremen beat Juve 3-2
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Looks like Arsenal is the only suprise entry in the quarterfinals. Then again, it's only Real... still, with Arsenal struggling lately this is kinda unexpected.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Gaucho wrote:Looks like Arsenal is the only suprise entry in the quarterfinals. Then again, it's only Real... still, with Arsenal struggling lately this is kinda unexpected.
Arsenal is a bit more than a surprise. Did you catch the line-up they trotted out against Real?

That was a great victory but watch them lose 2-0 in the return leg...
Rob UK Pen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Rob UK Pen »

Admin wrote:Arsenal is a bit more than a surprise. Did you catch the line-up they trotted out against Real?

That was a great victory but watch them lose 2-0 in the return leg...
Considering their current league form it was an incredible result. But, having watched them a fair bit this season, when Real are off their game they are horrible. If Woodgate doesn't recover in time for the return leg (highly unlikely) I can see Arsenal scraping through.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Rob UK Pen wrote:I can see Arsenal scraping through.
I hope you're right but after years of watching Arsenal struggle in the Champions League I'm not counting on it.

How serious do you think the Henry transfer rumors are? Vieira is one thing but Henry... I don't want to think about it.
Rob UK Pen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Rob UK Pen »

Admin wrote:I hope you're right but after years of watching Arsenal struggle in the Champions League I'm not counting on it.

How serious do you think the Henry transfer rumors are? Vieira is one thing but Henry... I don't want to think about it.
Arsenal do deserve a break in the Champions League, maybe this is their season.
As for Henry, well the rumours keep going round and round. I reckon obviously a lot will depend on how well Arsenal do in the Champions League but also what assurances he's given on team-building for 2006-07. I can't believe they will move to their new ground without Henry, and I therefore I think they will make sure that he stays. But if he does go I can't see him going anywhere other than Barca or Real.
BritishPenguin

Post by BritishPenguin »

If Arsenal fail to win a trophy this season then Henry will leave for Spain. He has a replacement in Theo Walcott, however he needs a great amount of time to develop.

If they do sell him, Arsenal will have the funds to buy three or four top players.

I hear Ronaldo wants out at Real Madrid, he could move to England, despite the fact that he reached his peak whilst in his first season at Real. Someone like Arsenal or Tottenham will sign him unless he wants to go back to Inter.